Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
    Thanks.
    I'll ask the question in the ground forces sub forum, but i did not want to start a new thread just for that.
    No problem and I think you will already find one or one close to your question.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

sorry to necropost but i cant start a new thread yet so ... how come the excalibur gps rounds adapted to the 16" shells ???
      Excalibur GPS Guided Artillery Round - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
        sorry to necropost but i cant start a new thread yet so ... how come the excalibur gps rounds adapted to the 16" shells ???
        Excalibur GPS Guided Artillery Round - YouTube
        If I understand your question, one reason these rounds are not being adapted to 16" Mk 7 battleship guns is that those guns are no longer in service, and there are no plans to bring them back.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Except for the one in Rusty's backyard
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

At 16 inches, do you really need an EXCALIBUR?

Comment

sorry i saw how choppy my question was lol but i just figured a guidence system on the guns would be a plus interms of reactivation senerio

Comment

I found this story in my local news about moving a BB barrel a 16"/50, reportedly from BB-63, being moved to the site of an old coastal defense battery in Delaware. During WWII, this battery was home to two 16"/45's and a pair of 12" guns. These guns protected the approach to Delaware Bay and onto Philadelphia.

Historic WWII Gun Moves by Rail Across Delmarva - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -, Del. - A big piece of American history is moving across Delmarva.

The 116-ton barrel of a cannon from the U.S.S. Missouri is traveling by rail to its final resting place at historic Fort Miles near Lewes, Del. The 16-inch gun, which is roughly 67-feet long, arrived in Pocomoke City, Md. just before noon Wednesday as it moves its way north.

"We've been planning this for about ten months," said Dr. Gary Wray, president of the Fort Miles Historical Association. "It's been a long time but it's really worth it.

The gun is special for history lovers; the Japanese surrendered World War II on board the Missouri.

"She was there that famous day and it's one of the greatest days in American history," Wray said. "It ended World War II, the war of the greatest generation."

The cannon left the Norfolk-area on Monday, traveling by barge to Cape Charles, Va. A train is transporting the gun through Pocomoke City, onto Harrington, then into Georgetown and finally to Lewes, Wray said. The move is expected to cost about $110,000, most of which was donated.

Had the historical association not stepped in, the gun would have likely been sold for salvage, Wray said. Instead, volunteers plan to restore the cannon and make it part of a museum near the fort. They will also need to transport separate parts of the cannon still in Virginia.

"We want to turn this place, in little Delaware, we want to be the World War II destination for America," Wray said.

The gun will sit in Georgetown for several days before it is revealed in a public ceremony on April 16. Plans call for one final rail trip between Georgetown and Lewes. Crews will move the historic piece onto a 96-wheel, 12-axle trailer for the last mile of the journey.

No major road closings are planned, except for the last mile trip through Cape Henlopen State Park, Wray said.

Comment

Here is a story about an Arizona Barrel. There must be a clearance sale on BB barrels!

By John J. Joyce, Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Public Affairs

DAHLGREN, Va. (NNS) -- The last USS Arizona gun - bound for a new World War II memorial exhibit more than 2,000 miles away - attracted Arizona state officials and Navy leaders who watched the mammoth gun barrel lifted onto a trailer that departed Naval Support Facility Dahlgren April 10.

"This gun from the USS Arizona is a significant World War II Navy artifact," said Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division (NSWCDD) Commander Capt. Michael Smith. "We are grateful for the opportunity to help the state of Arizona preserve and display it at the Arizona Capitol Museum where visitors can see rare artifacts from the USS Arizona and its crew."

The 14-inch gun barrel will join a gun from the USS Missouri - enroute to Arizona from Virginia's Norfolk Naval Shipyard - to exhibit at the Arizona Capitol Museum in Phoenix, scheduled to be dedicated on Pearl Harbor Day, Dec. 7, 2012.

"We also want to thank Arizona for preserving the 16-inch Battleship Missouri gun barrel," said Smith. "The USS Arizona and USS Missouri gun barrels represent 'bookends' of World War II - the beginning and end - and will greatly enhance their memorial exhibit."

World War II began after the Arizona was sunk at Pearl Harbor and ended when the Japanese capitulated aboard the Missouri battleship.

"Thank you for sharing some of your history with our state," Arizona Secretary of State, Ken Bennett, told onlookers, including retired Navy commander Ernie Saunders - commanding officer of Missouri turret gun No. 2 - who witnessed the surrender in Tokyo Bay.

"This [event] brings back memories that I have not thought of in many years," said Saunders, who traveled from Newport News, Va., to see the Arizona gun move after its hiatus of more than 63 years at Dahlgren. "It fulfilled all my expectations."

The gun barrel - removed from the Arizona to be relined before World War II - was at the Dahlgren Naval Proving Ground for proof testing when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred Dec. 7, 1941.

"It was important to me, personally, to just be out here and see it," said Bennett. "We are very fortunate because this is our 100th anniversary as a state, so to have this come to fruition in 2012 is really neat for Arizona."

The gun was part of the USS Arizona from 1925 to 1938 and used in support of multiple World War II operations - including the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944 - after its installation aboard the USS Nevada in 1942. The gun fired 244 rounds between June 25, 1943, and Aug. 26, 1944.

"Dahlgren is proud to support the State of Arizona in honoring and commemorating their citizen's World War II service, dedication and sacrifice," said NSWCDD Operations Department Head Pete Kolakowski who led Dahlgren's efforts to transfer the gun to Arizona. "NSWC Dahlgren Division was instrumental [during World War II] in ensuring the weapons and tools to defend our freedom were the best available - this is still true today."

Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington Transportation Director Ronald Cheek - on site to ensure a successful lift and transportation of the 147,000 pound gun with its barrel, breech mechanism, and yoke - said that part of his support of the Navy involves "preserving history," adding that "it's necessary so future generations know what our fathers and grandfathers did to serve this country and keep us free."

"In addition to mounting the two gun barrels - one representing the beginning of the war and one representing the end - we're going to have a monument dedicated to the Arizonans who died in World War II," said Bennett. "Each name will be inscribed on a plate. We think it will be something that thousands of families across Arizona, and even across the country, can come and see - [the names of] their uncle or father or grandfather who gave the ultimate sacrifice. It's a big part of saying thank you to the veterans who protected our country and preserved our freedoms as well as the freedoms of tens of millions of people around the globe."

"We are proud to be a participant in preserving the U.S. Navy's heritage by contributing the last gun from the USS Arizona to the state of Arizona," Kolakowski said.

Comment

I have a question for my first post. I am looking for dimensions for the 16" / 50 cal Mark 7 barrel so I can create a scale model of the barrel. Can anyone provide me the dimensions or direct me to a source that would provide all the exterior dimensions of the barrel, hoops, tapers, etc?
                    Also I would be curious how many Mark 7 barrels were fabricated and what are their current and / or final dispositions.
                    Thanks

Comment

Link to an article in the SF Chronicle. The National Park Service takes possession and delivers to Battery Townsley a 16" gun off the Missouri from WWII.

Big WWII-era gun comes to Golden Gate - SFGate

Comment

i just wanted to share a cool video of the yamatos guns in CGI i know they were automatied i just never saw it like this cool

戦艦大和・主砲のメカニズム2/2 - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
                          i just wanted to share a cool video of the yamatos guns in CGI i know they were automatied i just never saw it like this cool

ˆ‰大’Œƒ主*のƒ‚ƒ‹‚ƒ*’/ ’ - YouTube
                          What a great animation - I am very impressed. The artistry is extrodinary.
                          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Jan 13,, 05:29.
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

here is part one of that animation, Showing crew stations and operation around the breach

Comment

re: the Arizona and Missouri's barrels

I noticed some time ago that they still had quite a collection of them puppies sitting there in Virginia!
                              Makes one wonder where they are from!

Comment

Working...
                              X