Precision Fires for the IBCT's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCT View Post
    And a huge pain in the ass to pick up all the plastic petals parts if you are on a static firing range.

That's why I was always the range OIC!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

AR Reply

"...the 120mm "petals" can kill you out to 400 meters."

So 450m works? What about with a lower mv from a howitzer? Would it be closer then? Can tables be calculated for sabot dispersal? Sorta like an elliptical sabot probable error when plotted at White Sands or wherever they do that sh!t? Are your vehicles authorized to engage with friendly dismounts forward and between the target and you?

Jes' tryin' to figure it out...

I've never played with you guys on a tactical LFX for manuever types or, heaven forbid, a war.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

S-2

Funny you should mention White Sands, Have you noticed my current location :).

Regarding the dangers of the discarding sabots. The M982 has a base that discards very quickly after the Projectile leaves the tube and its not considered a real hazard. It falls to earth about 200 to 300 meters out. Remember our current crop of PGM's are always fired high angle so the discarding portion doesnt come back to earth with anything like the kinetic energy it has as it exits teh tube..

Regards

Arty
        "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

A.E. Reply

"Funny you should mention White Sands..."

Actually not. It's where my betters informed me our firing tables had been worked out eons ago. What served our purposes then should be equally fine now presuming you've not unduly disturbed the rattlers and scorpions.

OTOH, BAE does keep you on the move, eh?
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

S-2

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            OTOH, BAE does keep you on the move, eh?
            Yeah thats the truth alright. Average about 270 days on the road each year!!! Soon as im done here its back to Ft Bragg for 10th Marines Regimental Exercise, then up to DC for the AUSA show, then off to Dubai. Havent even planned what November and early December will bring!!!! This is the time of the year when Im starting to feel really beat and just looking forward to the christmas break!!!!

Arty
            "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Beats me...I'll leave that to the smarter guys. But the rule of thumb was never get in front of a tank whiel dismounted.....nothing good ever becomes of a dismount while in front of a tank.

I am sure the tank will fire if it has to, hence see rule of thumb.

I don't know how to compute the trash grid for 120mm sabot petals!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X