• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Duke has been replaced by the Dude. "True Grit"

Can't wait.

Iconic John Wayne Role Redone
    by Jonathan Crow · August 18, 2010
    Elizabeth Banks/Elizabeth Mitchell, Photo by: Michael Tran/Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

In 1969, John Wayne played Rooster Cogburn in "True Grit" -- a grizzled, drunken U.S. Marshal hired by a 14-year-old girl to track down her father's killer. The role ended up winning the aging Western star his first and only Oscar, prompting him to make a rare sequel -- "Rooster Cogburn" -- opposite Katherine Hepburn in 1975. The image of Wayne's craggy, eye-patched visage from "True Grit" has become a cinematic icon.

So film mavens everywhere were taken aback when it was announced last year that Joel and Ethan Coen would been making their own version of "True Grit." But don't expect a straight remake; this movie is based more closely on the Charles Portis novel. And Jeff Bridges, fresh off his Oscar win, was tapped to play Cogburn; that's right, the Duke has been replaced by the Dude.
    Photos: Jeff Bridges

The movie will also star another Coens alum, Josh Brolin, along with Barry Pepper and Matt Damon.

"I've never even seen the original John Wayne movie" Matt Damon, who plays Glen Campbell's old role of LaBeouf in this new version, told Entertainment Weekly. Unlike the old flick, this LaBeouf reportedly doesn't sing. "Our movie is totally different."

This week, the first photo of the Coen Brothers' effort (see below) was released, hinting at other differences. The most obvious being is that Mattie Ross, who is a fourteen year-old girl in the book, is actually being played by a fourteen year-old girl -- newcomer Haile Steinfeld. In the original, Kim Darby was 21.

But what fans of the original are all wondering is how the Dude's Cogburn going to stack up next to the Duke's. The photo shows Bridges, looking ornery and weathered, sporting a beard and that famous eye patch. Wayne, a staunch Republican during the height of the '60s, was resolutely clean-shaven.

A quick comparison reveals that Wayne and Bridges sport their patches on opposite eyes. The Duke covered his left eye as a nod to his longtime collaborator John Ford, who lost vision in that eye when he removed bandages too soon after a cataract operation. No word on why Bridges decided to cover the other side.

When he was making his "True Grit," John Wayne was 61 years old. He was too unhealthy to perform his own stunts and, thanks to having an entire lung removed years prior, could barely walk more than 30 feet before heavy breathing. You might be forgiven, when looking at side-by-side photos, for assuming that Bridges is five or ten years younger that Wayne when he shot his version. In fact, Jeff Bridges turns 61 in December.

"True Grit" opens December 25, 2010. See the full photo of the movie below.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
    Can't wait.
    Nor me, in fact I'm going to have to go out and hire the original again
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Not me. The Duke is the Duke, the Dude is the Dude, and never the twain should meet, or at least bogart the other ones movie!

Comment

7thsfsniper Reply

"...at least bogart the other ones movie!"

Not any more likely than the Duke bogarting the Dude's reefer.;)

Bridges will be good. The Coen boys have a knack. I think it'll work.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

It is easily one of the top movies of recent years, in my book.

Jeff Bridges was excellent with some great lines. The dude aged well!
          “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

My son and his gf went and seen this movie earlier this evening. He said it was damn good.

Comment

Just saw it. Jeff Bridges ain't no John Wayne. Too very different interruptations of the character. I think John Wayne portrayed the charater better, one who enjoyed life no matter what circumstances threw at him. Jeff Bridges character is one who endures life through thick and thin and never gave the impression that he enjoyed life's challenges but merely suffers through it.

In between the two, Wayne would have won the Oscar over Bridges.

Comment

I liked it, definitely worth seeing. I went to see it and the first showing was sold out. Had to wait till the next day.
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Loved the whole movie except for the end. Keeping LaBoeuf alive and turning Mattie into a humourless old prune totally contrary to her character sucked. Otherwise damn fine and the costuming rocked.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                  X