No announcement yet.

Questions Swirl About Damaged Japanese Tanker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if we can figure out the who, while the experts are still trying to figure out the what!

Comment

ABU DHABI—An Islamic militant group affiliated with al Qaeda claimed responsibility for an attack on a Japanese-owned oil tanker while it traveled through the Strait of Hormuz last week, raising fresh worry about the vulnerability of the world's delicate oil-supply routes.

In a statement posted to a militant website, the Abdullah Azzam Brigade said they targeted the supertanker M. Star in what they hoped would be a dramatic blow to the global economy and oil markets.

."After midnight last Wednesday, the martyr hero Ayyub Al Tayshan blew himself up in the Japanese oil tanker M.Star in the Strait of Hormuz between the U.A.E. and Oman," according to the statement, referring to an apparent suicide attack against the ship.

The statement didn't give any precise details about how the group attacked the gigantic supertanker or chose that specific ship. However, the statement said that the group deliberately chose the location of the attack, as it wanted to "weaken the global infidel order that has assumed authority over Muslim lands, looting their resources, and to lift the oppression of Muslims."

The claim—whether a legitimate one, or an opportunistic publicity stunt—could rattle oil markets. Oil prices have been tempered by lackluster global demand and excess pumping capacity around the world. But the Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important chokepoints. It is the gateway for some 20% of the daily global supply coming from the oil-rich Persian Gulf, and al Qaeda has threatened to attack shipping there in the past.

On Wednesday, U.S. Benchmark crude was down 63 cents at $81.92 a barrel on Globex, after hitting three-month highs a day earlier.

A spokesman for the U.S. Fifth Fleet, which patrols the Gulf waterways, said he couldn't comment on the credibility of the militants' claim of responsibility. The officer at the Bahrain-based command said that U.S. Navy divers had taken part in the investigation that is still underway and being conducted on the tanker by the owner of the vessel, Japan's Mitsui O.S.K. The spokesman said he didn't know the results of those tests.

Junto Endoh, the general manager for Mitsui's office in Qatar, said that the company believed that the damage was consistent with an "outside explosion." However, he said that the investigation could still take weeks to complete.

"We have no idea if [the militants' claim of responsibility] is true at this point, we are still continuing to inspect the damage in the ship to determine the cause," Mr. Endoh said in a telephone interview.

The company claimed last week that its vessel had come under attack while sailing in the Strait of Hormuz, reporting damage to the tanker but no casualties among its crew. Authorities in the United Arab Emirates and Oman, countries close to the tanker at the time of the incident, initially sought to downplay these claims, saying instead that a freak giant wave was the cause of the damage.

Later that same day, when the tanker docked at the Port of Fujairah, officials there said that a large dent in the tanker's hull appeared to have been caused by a collision.

Officials at the port weren't immediately available for comment Wednesday. Fujairah is one of the seven city states that make up the U.A.E.

Named for a now-deceased religious mentor of Osama bin Laden, Abdullah Azzam Brigades has claimed responsibility for numerous past terrorist attacks in the Middle East.

Between 2004 and 2005 the group claimed responsibility for a string of bombings at Egypt's resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and the Sinai Peninsula that killed more than 100 people. In a separate 2005 attack, the group also claimed responsibility for firing rockets from Egypt's Sinai Peninsula at two U.S. naval vessels docked in the nearby Aqaba port in Jordan.

Well this seems to give an idea of who and what caused it...

Al Qaeda-Linked Group Claims Gulf Tanker Attack - WSJ.com

Comment

Ayyub Al Tayshan... so thats the monkey who put the dent.. and some people here were blaming the captain.. :))
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Hehehe..too bad he'll never know he did jack squat!!

Told ya'all it was an explosive!;)

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            :))
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
              :))
              Reminds me of this VW commercial :))

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                Reminds me of this VW commercial :))

I LMAO x 10 when I saw that a few months ago. That is one of my top 5 I think!

Comment

A Japanese tanker damaged last week in the Strait of Hormuz near Oman was the target of a terrorist attack, the United Arab Emirates state-run news agency has said.

It said remains of home-made explosives had been found on the hull of the M Star, which was damaged on Wednesday while traveling from Qatar to Japan.

BBC News - Japan tanker was damaged in a terror attack, UAE says
                  "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                    Hehehe..too bad he'll never know he did jack squat!!

I was not far behind you.

BTW: I know he didn't do jack. but what about insurance premium for those giants?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                      I was not far behind you.

BTW: I know he didn't do jack. but what about insurance premium for those giants?
                      I'm sure they they will pass the increase on to the consumer. Get ready to bend over farther at the pump!

I actually heard that once wind of this got around. Gasoline went up about .05c a gallon nationwide.

Comment

In retrospect, a collision would have left the signature of the foreign object, paint or other material, which clearly does not seem present in the first photo. However, there may be some residue from Ayyub Al Tayshan...

Comment

Originally posted by red seven View Post
                          in retrospect, a collision would have left the signature of the foreign object, paint or other material, which clearly does not seem present in the first photo. however, there may be some residue from ayyub al tayshan...
                          lmao!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X