X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Explosions, 1945-1998

Jaw-dropping video shows every nuclear explosion from 1945-1998
    Jaw-dropping video shows every nuclear explosion from 1945-1998

Here's a video that'll have you riveted: an ominously comprehensive rendering that shows the time and place of every nuclear detonation from 1945 to 1998.

Although the map and graphics are almost comically low-res, the minimalist presentation is so effective you can't look away. Every explosion produces a musical chime, and every time a new nation goes nuclear, it gets a different note. We were particularly struck by the Cold War musical duel between the U.S. and U.S.S.R., as each responds to the other's nuclear testing, resulting in a darkly impressive light show on the map.

Why does it stop at 1998? Creator Isao Hashimoto used a book published in 2000 as reference material for the vid. I think it's time for an update, Mr. Hashimoto.
    My knowledge on the topic was very lacking.

1: I had no idea that there were over 2,000 nuclear tests in total
    2: I had no idea that the USA was still testing nuclear weapons in the early 1990's.
    3: I had no idea that France performed over 200 nuclear tests.
    4: I have no idea how we've managed not to blow ourselves to smithereens.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Yeah we were positively ringed by nukes for a good many years. Nothing near as bad as they had it in the Soviet Union or the US but what between the US, Britain and my personal favorites France we had em firing off all around us for a good long while. Ironically of course we're one of the few countries in the world that's legislatively nuclear free.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Well yes we do, but Steinlager is still a crap drink though.

Leibniz

Comment

What's your beer? Monteiths? My favorite was Export Gold. Keeping it cheap ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            What's your beer? Monteiths? My favorite was Export Gold. Keeping it cheap ;)
            Gold is actually good as well as being cheap. There's a local here called Tuatara which ain't bad but for the best cheap and cheerful I've got to go with Export Dry. Weird that it has so little traction inside NZ....

Leibniz

Comment

I wish someone would actually export Export Gold. I'd be in heaven

Comment

Working...
              X