Colt Model 607/653/727/733/933/M4/XM177

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Model 607/653/727/733/933/M4/XM177

I have been snooping around the internet, and have found a bewildering array of Colt assault rifles based on the original Model 607/XM177 carbine developed during the Vietnam War; I believe the CAR-15/Colt Commando was the first carbine developed from the original M16 assault rifle. What are the basic differences between the several different models of the carbine? Is there a simple answer (probably not)? Different uppers and lowers? I know the various models have different-length barrels (all the way from the 10" barrel of the Commando to the full-length 16" barrel on the 653), but that's about it. Are there any good books (or magazines) that more or less summarize the various Colt carbine permutations? Even the various "authorities" I've read admit to confusion concerning the profusion of Colt carbines (and clones) out there: "What is confusing is that other manufacturers made all sorts of modified short barreled AR-15 rifles for the Police and Civilian markets throughout the years. Colt themselves bastardized so many of their rifles throughout the years, swapping particular uppers with different lowers so that there will always be exceptions to the rule." (from the IMFDB article on the M16 and derivatives).
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

The Stoner AR is like the Browning 1911, there are never 2 quite the same.

All I know is there was a version of the AR designed specifically for use on the Bradley IFV...that might be the XM177. I think it was Shek who said that was a piece of junk. Not sure if it was Shek, but definitely someone on this board had worked with the XM177 and the Bradley.

By the way, next year is the 100th anniversary of the Browning 1911 design.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Somebody with artistic talent should do a bar or poker table scene with Browning, Stoner, Kalishnikov, etc. sitting around talking about what they have wrought.
      sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by 2DREZQ View Post
        Somebody with artistic talent should do a bar or poker table scene with Browning, Stoner, Kalishnikov, etc. sitting around talking about what they have wrought.
        You mean sort of like Cdr Data playing poker with Newton, Einstein and Stephen Hawking (who played himself)?
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          You mean sort of like Cdr Data playing poker with Newton, Einstein and Stephen Hawking (who played himself)?
          Ahahahahahaha....I remember that episode. Don't recall the name off the top of my head though.

La Forge: Data, you're playing poker with Newton, Einstein, and Hawking!?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            The Stoner AR is like the Browning 1911, there are never 2 quite the same.

All I know is there was a version of the AR designed specifically for use on the Bradley IFV...that might be the XM177. I think it was Shek who said that was a piece of junk. Not sure if it was Shek, but definitely someone on this board had worked with the XM177 and the Bradley.

Wrong, XM-177 is the Gen. 2 shorty AR-15s developed from the AR-15 survival rifle (intended to be) issued to pilots. XM-177 has a fat flash hider. Gotcha, gunnut! :))
            Attached Files
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

The IFV port firing weapon is this groovy looking weapon that resembles the result of cross-breeding a M3 grease gun and a CAR-15. The offspring is an ungainly gun without sights, and considered a weapon as lethal to its users as its intended enemy.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                Wrong, XM-177 is the Gen. 2 shorty AR-15s developed from the AR-15 survival rifle (intended to be) issued to pilots. XM-177 has a fat flash hider. Gotcha, gunnut! :))
                You are correct. I was thinking M231:

M231 Firing Port Weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

An ugly weapon and more importantly, according Forum members' input, a useless deadweight.

Comment

M231 FPW in Iraq

Comment

Working...
                    X