No announcement yet.

Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah! The oft repeated war ethics in play, this time again in a lopsided war zone. His commanders sure must have shoved incidents of Talibs beheading Muslims/Non Muslims, up their a$$ and given a damn to "cultural sensitivities". And Yes, the Khukri once drawn has to taste blood, other's or your own.

Where are the trumpets and medals?
    Last edited by Deltacamelately; 21 Jul 10,, 12:17.
    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Z,

I am not questioning his courage nor his capabilities but like it or not, he did embarrassed his regiment by his actions. I strongly doubt he would be brought up on charges but like I said, his ass belongs to the Regimental Sergeant Major.

Sir, I see any failure on his part as one of his commanders and leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohan View Post
        I second that. Wow Tankie you have summed it up very well.
        As have others , i mean WTF is the problem , the only problem i see is he was dead at the time , a great pity ,show that shower of shite the same respect they give out , but im waiting for the final outcome of this

Comment

I think what the Gurkha soldier did was necessary in my opinion because it restored the healthy fear that enemies had of Gurkhas.

I think the Gurkhas have been far too restrained in dealing with these scum.

Comment

The defence is proof of death which is not illegal under the GC but this entire thing smacks of a trophy which is illegal under the GC. Like everything else, we are also fighting the propaganda war as well. Don't need to give the enemy one even if it's unintentional.

When the kid goes back to regiment, the RSM is going to have him recite the entire GC backwards and forwards from memory.

Comment

Return the head to the taliban for burial. What's the big deal? That way both parties can be happy. The NATO command gets its proof and the taliban gets the entire body.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Originally posted by troung View Post

He is understood to have removed the man’s head from the area, leaving the rest of his body on the battlefield.
                Guess we could have been like them and burned it and hung it from a bridge.

This is considered a gross insult to the Muslims of Afghanistan, who bury the entire body of their dead even if parts have to be retrieved.
                For petes sake lets not insult these people! (gawd!!)

British soldiers often return missing body parts once a battle has ended so the dead can be buried in one piece.
                See! We were gonna give it back!;)

Comment

The defence is proof of death which is not illegal under the GC but this entire thing smacks of a trophy which is illegal under the GC. Like everything else, we are also fighting the propaganda war as well. Don't need to give the enemy one even if it's unintentional.

When the kid goes back to regiment, the RSM is going to have him recite the entire GC backwards and forwards from memory.
                  Naw, scalps and fingers are trophies. Heads take too long to dry and preserve.;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    As have others , i mean WTF is the problem , the only problem i see is he was dead at the time , a great pity ,show that shower of shite the same respect they give out , but im waiting for the final outcome of this
                    Will he be court martialed? and deported back to Nepal. I hope that doesn't happen. Is there any protest by local radical Muslim population/people for his act you will never know strange things happen some time:)
                    It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Mohan View Post
                      Will he be court martialed? and deported back to Nepal.
                      Seriously, that is the best he can hope for ... but not the best he will be.

As far as I can see, there would be no charges, but this kid has fallen under the eyes of the RSM. He will suffer for it ... and pay the price to no end ... He will not be allowed to resigned ... He will study every regulation in the book, both the practical and implied meaning ... he will never be allowed to embarrass the regiment again ... and he will never allow the regiment to be embarrassed.

If he acts right, he will be the RSM but he will have to suffer for it.

Comment

Seriously, that is the best he can hope for ... but not the best he will be.

As far as I can see, there would be no charges, but this kid has fallen under the eyes of the RSM. He will suffer for it ... and pay the price to no end ... He will not be allowed to resigned ... He will study every regulation in the book, both the practical and implied meaning ... he will never be allowed to embarrass the regiment again ... and he will never allow the regiment to be embarrassed.

If he acts right, he will be the RSM but he will have to suffer for it.
                        Sounds like the RSM is actively anticipating the poor soul's arrival so he can commence on his torturing ways.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          Return the head to the taliban for burial. What's the big deal? That way both parties can be happy. The NATO command gets its proof and the taliban gets the entire body.
                          Hey warra great idea , wait till xmas day , throw the head over the trenches , have a game of footy , and when we score ,(obviously with a header ) let em keep the ball ,as it were , job done , bridges built , everyones a winner , boxing day , back to bizzness , obviously our side would still have the stiff upper lips , boxing gloves on ,and our PC rule book in our knapsacks

:
                          Last edited by tankie; 22 Jul 10,, 12:41.

Comment

[QUOTE=7thsfsniper;748576]
                            Guess we could have been like them and burned it and hung it from a bridge.

For petes sake lets not insult these people! (gawd!!)

See! We were gonna give it back
                            !;)
                            Yea , with a bacon sandwich stuck between his teeth , nahhhhh us brits wud never do a thing like that

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                              Agreed! Besides, I think the Gurkha should sue the army for hurting ethnic sentiments of not allowing a Gurkha to use his Khukri. :)) Thats one thing they're good at, striking fear into their enemies. During the Kargil War, a Gurkha battalion was assigned to capture an enemy peak, Khalubar. They managed to take the peak but soon got surrounded by enemy reinforcements and started to run dry of ammo; the Gurkhas pulled out their Khukris, and enemy heads started rolling down the peak, giving a rude shock to the enemy below. (OoE sir, This is also the same battle in which the Gurkhas took cover behind some rocks and called in artillery strikes on their own position to repel the enemy.)
                              Let's hope the enemy are in total fear of the Gurka from now on

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                              I suspect that this young man had no malevolent intent in mind and was simply explicitly following orders on an already quite dead targeted taliban commander...and doing so under ardurous circumstance. His sense of discretion WRT orders might be questioned. So too whether he's been fully grounded to the cultural sensitivities surrounding this fight. If found at fault on either, however, it would also call to question the instruction and training provided by his immediate superiors.

What's the phrase...He showed bad form?

Oh well. All too many good muslims have truly met death by beheading from those professing to know Allah in a more perfectly clear light. A clarity, btw, which seems to allow for such otherwise immutable transgressions.

Ahhh...,the fog of war (and theology) rears its ugly head again.

"Showing bad form"...it's not a cricket match out there.
                              Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              Sir, we are talking a mountain kid from Nepal who went through hell just to get offered the chance to die for a foreign nation. He might be a highly trained trooper, but multi-cultural sensitivity probably isn't high on his list. He has so much to learn that anything not directed related to surviving combat is the responsibility of the officers not the trooper.

The trooper was given a mission- prove the Taliban HVT was dead, he did. He also did so under fire at personal risk. If he had done similar to a machine gun nest or bunker he'd be looking at the possibility of a VC for gallantry. Instead he has been shamed because we in the west are too chicken sh1t to tell the local Pashtuns that we will fight by their rules. One has only to read Kipling or Soviet memoirs to learn what the Pashtun way of war entails

I am sure your aware that when the selection is made the recruiters use spray paint on bare skin, those who fail rarely go home to face the shame. Instead they band together and use sand and peel each others hides and then move into villages and start anew.

That kid is a hero to the UK, Nepal and since he did in support of my country's quest to bring the perpetrators of 9-11 to Justice- America. Personally I think any of us who have ever worn a uniform should be proud to have a man of his courage among our ranks.

hip hip hooray for the trooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50pVKPRFWAE

Well said Sir, very well said. The lad did good.
                              Originally posted by Dante View Post
                              Wow...just wow...seriously,I don't understand it..he had to prove the taliban is dead,he did.Hell,he shoud have behaded the guy while he was still alive...
                              Ok,so "multi-cultural sensitivity" is the problem,he hurt their fillings???WHO CARES ,your fighting guys who woud blow themself up in a subway full of people and care about "multi-cultural sensitivity"?? It's sick if he will be punished for that..really,how do you win a war by giving this examples
                              He won't be punished if the British public have their say.
                              Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                              I think what the Gurkha soldier did was necessary in my opinion because it restored the healthy fear that enemies had of Gurkhas.

I think the Gurkhas have been far too restrained in dealing with these scum.
                              They have indeed. Their reputation should be exploited rather than hidden.

Comment

Lukins Reply

Captain Lukins,

"it's not a cricket match out there."

No, it certainly isn't. I hope your MoD and his RSM understand such. Please read my below comment carefully.

"...this young man had no malevolent intent in mind and was simply explicitly following orders on an already quite dead targeted taliban commander...and doing so under ardurous circumstance."

I fully understood that his unit and self were under intense fire, making impossible the recovery of the full body for purposes of I.D. I suspect the young Ghurka soldier remembered one thing...provide indisputable evidence of the HVT's identification. Those two imperatives clashed at that moment and he simply did the best he could to satisfy both the circumstance and his obligations.
                                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                                X