Sen Robert Byrd kicks the bucket....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sen Robert Byrd kicks the bucket....

And no one except for gunnut, in another thread even mentions it! No tributes? No RIPs?

As Mark Levine said the other day, all glory is fleeting and for all the so called accomplishments of this man, his memory will only live on in the self-named landmarks his pork bought.

Heh heh. Good riddance you self-serving, opportunistic, parasitic, racist jerk!

I only noticed about three flags in my entire area that even lowered thier flag to half-staff. I think that about sums it up.

an exteme example of the career politicians that plague our country - putting themselves above and outside the laws they impose at the behest of corporate lobbiests. I feel sad to say this about anyone's passing - but good ridence.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The saddest part is that there are multitudes of politicians at all levels of government that are just like him.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I care just as much about him in death as I cared about him in life.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          And no one except for gunnut, in another thread even mentions it! No tributes? No RIPs?

As Mark Levine said the other day, all glory is fleeting and for all the so called accomplishments of this man, his memory will only live on in the self-named landmarks his pork bought.

Heh heh. Good riddance you self-serving, opportunistic, parasitic, racist jerk!

I only noticed about three flags in my entire area that even lowered thier flag to half-staff. I think that about sums it up.
          You know, I never made the connection of a flag at half-staff and Byrd. I was wondering why the flag at half-staff. I thought for sure some important person died but couldn't figure out who. Turns out just some low life scum pretending to be a public servant.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

My car died this morning and I banged my hand while changing the battery and then I ran into the corner of my garage door when I tried to back out....

I just got into an argument with my wife over the phone.....

And to top it all off, I got a splitting headache.....

This is an excellent day! :))

Comment

I struggle with the idea of ardent racists like him or Jerry Fallwell actually having a real change of heart. He was the last 19th century Senator. In a sense that's a loss. Not many of them have heard of tacitus let alone read him now.
              Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
              ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                You know, I never made the connection of a flag at half-staff and Byrd. I was wondering why the flag at half-staff. I thought for sure some important person died but couldn't figure out who. Turns out just some low life scum pretending to be a public servant.
                I find this offensive. Regardless of my feelings for him He was the longest serving member of Congress in our history and that required an entire state to re-elect him over and over.
                ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                  I just got into an argument with my wife over the phone.....

:))
                  I paid a lawyer 5k now someone else argues with her!
                  ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                    I find this offensive. Regardless of my feelings for him He was the longest serving member of Congress in our history and that required an entire state to re-elect him over and over.
                    I find it offensive too that he was elected over and over to be a US senator.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      I find it offensive too that he was elected over and over to be a US senator.
                      He wasn't your Sen. He seemed to serve his constituents well. It's a shame but Sen. do serve a State not a nation right?
                      ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

...It's a shame but Sen. do serve a State not a nation right?
                        Well, they are supposed to be there to represent the interests of their State in matters of national importance.

The Congress is more than just a place where politicians divvie up tax dollars- at least it's supposed to be.

Politicians can't see past their next election, it's nothing but one continuous campaign. And that goes for both parties.

Time for term limits.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                          Well, they are supposed to be there to represent the interests of their State in matters of national importance.

The Congress is more than just a place where politicians divvie up tax dollars- at least it's supposed to be.

Politicians can't see past their next election, it's nothing but one continuous campaign. And that goes for both parties.

Time for term limits.
                          No. time to decide are we in favor of state's right or do we aknowledge the world is a smaller place and we need less pol's interested in pork and more pol's with a national interest. IMO we need to view Sen. as a state's contribution to benefit the nation rather than a Rep. of the state. The problem with being a state's rights advocate is a Sen. like Byrd who harken back to a previous era serve a state not a nation. It's the problem with state's rights. Nation or state first. I'm a nation first guy from a nation first state and that's not what Republicans stand for anymore. The republican tradition in the NE is nation first. Republicanism today is the democratic party of the turn of the 19th century just more business friendly.
                          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

You're drifting back to incoherence again. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

What happens in Washington isn't supposed to be about any individual state. It's about the nation.

All congresscritters, whether in the House or Senate are sent there to do what I said- represent the interests of their state in matters of national concern.

The self-serving nature of politicians is the problem- term limits are the solution.

I'm pretty sure we would be no worse off than we are now, if we did nothing more than picked the first 535 people in the phone book and sent them to Congress.
                            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

No. time to decide are we in favor of state's right or do we aknowledge the world is a smaller place and we need less pol's interested in pork and more pol's with a national interest. IMO we need to view Sen. as a state's contribution to benefit the nation rather than a Rep. of the state. The problem with being a state's rights advocate is a Sen. like Byrd who harken back to a previous era serve a state not a nation. It's the problem with state's rights. Nation or state first. I'm a nation first guy from a nation first state and that's not what Republicans stand for anymore. The republican tradition in the NE is nation first. Republicanism today is the democratic party of the turn of the 19th century just more business friendly.
                              Business friendly is good for the nation. Therefore, republicans are more "nation first" than the democrats. Further more, we can imply the democrats are less "patriotic" because they are less "nation first." Byrd was a "state first" guy through and through. Therefore, he was unpatriotic. I am offended by him staying in the senate for that long and causing harm to this great nation. Good riddance.

Comment

Working...
                              X