Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Iowa on google maps

Anybody had a look at Iowa lately?

Was just wondering what the tug was trying to do. There is another one at the bow of what looks like a RORO ship (3 ships in from Iowa). Did they break their moorings or something?

They have plans of scrapping many of the ships in the Suisan reserver fleet. Perhaps what you see is them rearranging their moorings so they can start the process of sending them out. Iowa still has a very good chance of not seeing the torch.;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

When I was inspecting Iowa a few years ago, the MARAD people told us that the river current (though not really noticable at the surface) and the shifting of the river mud/sand often pulls some of the ships away from their moorings.

Then they have to reset the mooring anchors and push the ships back into place. You will also notice another pusher tug to the west of the same group of ships pushing against the bow of some super long ship (I don't know what it is but might make a good Naval Quiz question).

But Dreadnought's scenario of pushing her into place after a ship removal is just as feasible and more logical. The photo may have been taken after the submarine tender Proteus was pulled out for scrapping. The Proteus was tied to the port side of the Iowa.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Is that fresh paint I see?
        "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
        -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
          Is that fresh paint I see?
          Very possible. Near the end of the fiscal year, MARAD has to use up any paint left over to get a full supply for the next fiscal year (October 1 to September 30). Since Iowa as at the end of a row, they find it easier to put that excess paint on her than any other ship in the fleet.

Just gotta love those guys saving us taxpayer's money to find something to use up the old paint on instead of dumping it. ;);)
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

The super long ship with the other tug is CAPE FEAR (T-AK-5061), a LASH vessel.

Comment

That row had two ships removed at the end of April and beginning of May. The Gen. Edwin Patrick was first and the Gen. John Pope. Both removed for cleaning before moving on to Texas. The Cape Fear was on the outside of the next row to the east and was moved into this one now. In May was on the Misipillion, next to the HMB, looking for artifacts and the Nereus, fifth down from HMB assessing the phone system. Can't say I am thrilled about the Cape Fear being in there since one can't walk straight across that ship. You need to go all the way around to get to the Iowa where the porta potty is kept. Sometimes when nature calls you really need the most direct way...

Comment

Working...
              X