Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian missile cruiser arrives in San Francisco

Russian missile cruiser arrives in San Francisco on friendly visit

"The visit is to... further develop friendly relations between the fleets of Russia and the U.S."
    02:25 21/06/2010
    © RIA Novosti. Inga Denezh
    Related News

* Russian missile cruiser heads to San Francisco on friendly visit
    * Russian missile cruiser ready to visit San Francisco

Multimedia

Russian missile cruiser arrives in San Francisco on friendly visit | World | RIA Novosti

A task force from the Russian Pacific Fleet led by the missile cruiser Varyag arrived on a friendly visit to the United States, a Pacific Fleet spokesman said.

The naval group, which also includes the Fotiy Krylov salvage tug and the Boris Butoma tanker left the Far Eastern port of Vladivostok for a month-long voyage on June 4.

"An official welcoming ceremony began at 0:00 Moscow time [20:00 GMT]," Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov said.

Russia announced in 2007 that it was building up its naval presence across the world. Foreign port calls by Russian warships have become more frequent.

"The visit is to... further develop friendly relations between the fleets of Russia and the United States," a spokesman for the Pacific fleet said.

During the visit to San Francisco the Russian sailors will get acquainted with the city and its history, while San Francisco residents will be able to visit the ship, meet with the crew and listen to the music performed by the Pacific Fleet's orchestra

The Varyag is a Slava class missile cruiser, designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and ASW capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.

NATO experts had dubbed Russian combat ships of this class "the killer of aircraft carriers," as they can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead out to a range of 300 nautical miles.

In April 2009 the Varyag led a group of 21 foreign naval vessels participating in a parade to mark the 60th anniversary of China's Navy off the coast of the eastern city of Qingdao.

In November last year the flagship of the Pacific Fleet visited Singapore.

VLADIVOSTOK, June 21 (RIA Novosti)
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

commie-ists of the world unite!
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

They brought a salvage tug along, it's good to plan ahead.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
        commie-ists of the world unite!
        They couldn't have picked a better place.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Perhaps our Russian friends could straighten out that city?

Comment

As long as they keep the medical weed, they can do whatever they want to the city. Oh yeah, and they gotta stay away from my uncle's place.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

They'll be welcomed as liberators by Gavin Newsom.
              F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                They couldn't have picked a better place.
                what, you expect them to have the guts to land in Texas? They'll be outgunned by the local boys.

Comment

How many days are they going to be there. It will be nice to see the cruiser over the weekend?

Just found out it is gonna be there until Friday afternoon. ughh why not have it over the weekend. stupid russians :-p

http://kfrc.radio.com/2010/06/22/rus...san-francisco/

Comment

Any chance they will invite Pelosi for a cruise? I'm pretty sure she would enjoy spending some time with those Russian sailors.
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

If I were in a foreign Navy making a port call in the U.S. there would only be two cities I'd want to go to. New York and San Francisco. Say what you want about the politics but that doesn't change the fact that it is one of the top places for foreign visitors from around the world. There is far more to see in The City than many of you could ever imagine. I happen to live in The City from 1988-1998 and know it like the back of my hand. What you can see, do, visit, eat, drink and on and on is endless. Obviously the Russians know this as well. Mind you San Diego is my home, and it is beautiful from Imperial Beach to Carlsbad, but as a city it doesn't have the flair that San Francisco does from The Presidio through the Richmond and Sunset to North Beach through downtown and the South of Market to the Castro through the Mission and Excelsior down to 380.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                        Any chance they will invite Pelosi for a cruise? I'm pretty sure she would enjoy spending some time with those Russian sailors.
                        even russians can't drink that much
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

have a friend whose dad has connections in the Russian military, they were in San Francisco this past week and got a tour of the ship. I'm trying to get some pictures she'll let me post.
                          ROAD WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Ship was open for tours from 10-1 on Thursday. A very short time for what turned out to be a very long line. My source tells me that the many in the line were Russian, heavy Russian population in S.F., and the Russian sailors returning from their shopping trips were popular for pictures. Since it was so crowded my source went down to the next Pier to tour the CG-52 USS Bunker Hill which was also putting in a port call. The source then rushed 45 miles east to my office for his 15 year old son's 4 pm appointment and the boy was very excited about the tour and his new CG-52 USS Bunker Hill hat. I then filled him on one of her namesakes CV-17. A ship that I sat and looked at many times when she was docked at the end of North Island in San Diego in her original WWII configuration. I also saw that proud ship as she was towed out past Point Loma in 1973 to be scrapped after museum plans fizzled...

Comment

Cool, but dont let them refuel in our waters.:))
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                              X