1200 to spend what gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1200 to spend what gun

Looking for a gun for long ranges 800+ yards what gun to buy for ball park 1200?

Bolt or semi-auto?
    Hunting or tactical?

Comment

If I had $1200 to spend on a gun I'd get a good CMP Garand or a CETME and a pretty good Garand. Those are the next long guns on my list.

-dale

Comment

Hmmm:

US civil war cannon, United States cannon for sale, Wisconsin carts carriages, Paulson Brothers Ordnance Corporation

Not sure what you can get for $1200 though. Maybe a carriage and a few shells. :))

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
          If I had $1200 to spend on a gun I'd get a good CMP Garand or a CETME and a pretty good Garand. Those are the next long guns on my list.

-dale
          A cetme???

Comment

Springfield Armory M1A, PTR-91, nice FAL clone...
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Bolt gun, a nice Savage with a nice scope. Don't ever skimp on your optics.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                Springfield Armory M1A, PTR-91, nice FAL clone...
                leib,

I heard good and bad on the PTR-91, whats your take?

Mostly the bad stuff I heard came from die hard HK fans. Good stuff came from people who liked the HK91 and happy to see an american version.

Comment

Originally posted by BudW View Post
                  Looking for a gun for long ranges 800+ yards what gun to buy for ball park 1200?
                  Reminton 700 or Savage bolt gun, 24-26" bull barrel, any more most semi's are above the 1200 price range, looked at M1A's the other day, didn't see anything less than 2000. A friend of mine is shooting F class, out in Texas, said there is one guy shoots an M1A at 1000 yards, can't keep up with the bolt guns, does much better at 600 yards. I'm with gun nut, get a good scope, mount it on a bolt gun. friend of mine just bought a 700 bull barrel for 600, leaves 600 for scope, sling, bipod, scope mounts, shooting mat and other accessories.
                  CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                    leib,

I heard good and bad on the PTR-91, whats your take?

Mostly the bad stuff I heard came from die hard HK fans. Good stuff came from people who liked the HK91 and happy to see an american version.
                    I've shot both an HK-91 and a PTR, both are comparable. I guess if you're really hardcore, you could spend the extra money and get a real HK, but there's not really much difference in terms of performance from what I could tell. Fit and finish were better on HK's.

+1000 on what gunnut said- never, ever, skimp on optics.
                    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                      A cetme???
                      Yeah, I love the lines and heft. I was fondling a nice wood-furnitured one a few years ago at my lovcal gun shop and put it back on the rack, much to my regret.

-dale

Comment

I love spending other peoples money ;), Well The tip with the remmy 700 is good, get the most expensive scope you can afford (Nightforce) and good mounts, attempt to stay away from Barnwolf or whatever ammo.

Enjoy.

@ Eric, Cetme is a G3 clone, I think.

Tony
                        Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                          I love spending other peoples money ;), Well The tip with the remmy 700 is good, get the most expensive scope you can afford (Nightforce) and good mounts, attempt to stay away from Barnwolf or whatever ammo.

Enjoy.

@ Eric, Cetme is a G3 clone, I think.

Tony
                          It is, its a Spanish version. I've heard good and bad on it as well.

All of them are tough, reliable weapons. I was just wondering how the PTR stacked up against its predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
                            I've shot both an HK-91 and a PTR, both are comparable. I guess if you're really hardcore, you could spend the extra money and get a real HK, but there's not really much difference in terms of performance from what I could tell. Fit and finish were better on HK's.

+1000 on what gunnut said- never, ever, skimp on optics.
                            I read an article on the PTR a few years ago when they came out and they claimed that they "corrected all the problems" with the HK. I have only seen one and just briefly.

Just wondering if they were worth the money. IIRC, they wanted around $900 for the one I was checking out.

Comment

For the price, sure. I'm not sure about "correcting the problems", but it seemed to work just fine to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X