1200 to spend what gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
    For the price, sure. I'm not sure about "correcting the problems", but it seemed to work just fine to me.
    I wondered what the "problems" they spoke of were as well. Mostly they praised the fit and finish of the PTR over the HK and something about a barrel improvement, IIRC.

But hey, sometimes the only way to sell something is to put down your competitions product, when the price cut was enough in the first place.

If I was in the market for a G3 clone, any of them would do for me I suppose.

Comment

I think they might've increased the flutes in the chamber, maybe improved the rifling somehow... not sure. If they did anything at all!
      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

So, have you bought it? What ever it is. And where are the pictures? ;)
        CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          Bolt or semi-auto?
          Hunting or tactical?
          Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
          So, have you bought it? What ever it is. And where are the pictures? ;)
          I haven't even got mine answered yet!

Kind of hard to suggest what hammer to use when we don't know what he's doin with it.

Comment

just stirring the pot!
            CADPIPE

Comment

dale,

If I had $1200 to spend on a gun I'd get a good CMP Garand or a CETME and a pretty good Garand. Those are the next long guns on my list.

-dale
              i wanted a CMP Garand too, but the recoil on one of those things sucks balls. fire off eight rounds and your shoulder is done for the day.

wonder if there's a wimpy-man's version with a smaller round AND a muzzle brake. it'd probably still suck but at least my arm wouldn't want to fall off.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                dale,

i wanted a CMP Garand too, but the recoil on one of those things sucks balls. fire off eight rounds and your shoulder is done for the day.

wonder if there's a wimpy-man's version with a smaller round AND a muzzle brake. it'd probably still suck but at least my arm wouldn't want to fall off.
                Yes, it's called Mini-14.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

...i wanted a CMP Garand too, but the recoil on one of those things sucks balls. fire off eight rounds and your shoulder is done for the day.
                  In my trap shooting days I would shoot 400-500 rounds of 12 Ga. a day, 3 times a week. Sometimes more if I spent the time on the reloading bench.
                  You could go for an M-14 in .308, quite a bit tamer than a .30-06. Specially if you shoot a light bullet.

Or like gunnut says, you could be a real pu$$y and get a Mini-14 (or a Mini-30).

Muzzle brakes piss off the shooters next to you if you are shooting anything less than a .338 Mag, in which case they are already a few steps away. ;)

But a good recoil pad on your rifle and a shooting vest with a shoulder pad will do wonders.
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

gunnut,

what's the recoil compared to the garand? 75%?

these days i'm looking at a standard/national match m1a. not QUITE as good looking as the garand but still, a lot less recoil.

EDIT:

You could go for an M-14 in .308, quite a bit tamer than a .30-06. Specially if you shoot a light bullet.
                    yup, we're thinking along the same lines. i'm 140 lbs, shooting off a garand just sucks.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The mini-14 is a .223, same as an AR-15. Basically no recoil, just a light slap.

The .308 will recoil, but it's no problem. M-14's are heavy enough to push rather than slap. Just keep the butt tight against your shoulder, no problem. It's probably about 3/4 the kick of that garand, maybe slightly less.

Like I said, a pad and vest, and you can get lot of shooting in before you start feeling it. If you find yourself flinching, you're done for the day.

My first rifle was a Remington 740 auto in .30-06. My dad cut the stock down for me and put a pad on it. I wasn't any bigger than you at 12 years old, it had some kick but not enough to make me not want to shoot it!
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

gunnut,

what's the recoil compared to the garand? 75%?
                        I would say it's less than 75%, probably 40% to 50%. I have both. The Garand was not comfortable to shoot. I did not look forward to finish an entire clip. The Mini-14 is far tamer. I could rapid fire without much problem.

The Garand fired old surplus Greek ammo and the Mini-14 fired Chinese imports made by Norinco.

these days i'm looking at a standard/national match m1a. not QUITE as good looking as the garand but still, a lot less recoil.
                        I shot 7thsfsniper's M1A. It was not uncomfortable to shoot like my Garand. The Garand I fired from a bench rest and the M1A was sitting on its own bipod.

Oh yeah, don't get a Mini-30. I forgot where I heard or read but it's not as reliable as the Mini-14.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sorry gunnut, highsea, you guys are overlooking the original wimpy garand.....the M1 .30 carbine. I had one. barely more recoil than a .22LR with some fairly stout power.

Economical to shoot and not too high priced for a good one. Thats my pick. One of the guns I actually regret selling. So much so, I plan to get another soon for my young nephew to shoot.

Comment

Sorry gunnut, highsea, you guys are overlooking the original wimpy garand.....the M1 .30 carbine. I had one. barely more recoil than a .22LR with some fairly stout power.

Economical to shoot and not too high priced for a good one. Thats my pick. One of the guns I actually regret selling. So much so, I plan to get another soon for my young nephew to shoot.
                            I'm hoping my buddy forgets he sold his to me for a dollar when the USAF stationed him in Norway. :) Original paratrooper stock, too.

-dale

Comment

I love the carbine, had two sold one. People don't realize it, but the design was very close to being the original assault rifle by all definitions when the M2 (select fire kit) was added. They used to be available surplus for $99. Good luck finding a non-import for less than $500.

You can let a kid or woman shoot one, and they'll enjoy it.

An original complaint was lack of stopping power, but that was using FMJ ammo. Find a soft-point or hollow point round for it, and its potency (for defense) skyrockets. It's a neat little gun.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                                I'm hoping my buddy forgets he sold his to me for a dollar when the USAF stationed him in Norway. :) Original paratrooper stock, too.

-dale
                                Cool and rare as hell these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X