BB-55 at low tide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB-55 at low tide

In the Cape Fear River. I believe it's reasonably fresh/brackish water, not salt at that location.

Still, not an inspiring pic.

If they ever try to move her I would be very concerned about the hull integrity.

Comment

Wouldn't sitting in the mud like that just destroy the hull?

Comment

Wow it's a lot worse than I thought. Sad..

Comment

Originally posted by shadow01 View Post
          If they ever try to move her I would be very concerned about the hull integrity.
          Going to find out in the next couple of years.

Shame how it's buried like that, given what good shape the rest of the ship is in.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinCoalinga View Post
            Wouldn't sitting in the mud like that just destroy the hull?
            Unfortunately, many ship museum top brass are not Naval Architects and do not realize that sitting the ship in the mud only makes it nice and level for visitors and requires fewer (if any) mooring lines.

But water action of the grains of sand in the mud will eventually grind away the paint. Then the chemicals and other little critters in the water start rusting away the unprotected steel.

And from the looks of that very informative photo, if you scooped up the water and ran it through some filters, what is left could probably be used in a chemical or biological weapon of mass destruction.

If you want the ship to be unmovable, you should lay a pattern of docking blocks on the bottom and set the ship on them. But this is tricky as setting the blocks requires a low tide or a dam upstream. Then sitting the ship on them requires an extreme high tide or a dam downstream.

So you are "damed" if you do and "damed" if you don't.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Unfortunately, many ship museum top brass are not Naval Architects and do not realize that sitting the ship in the mud only makes it nice and level for visitors and requires fewer (if any) mooring lines.

But water action of the grains of sand in the mud will eventually grind away the paint. Then the chemicals and other little critters in the water start rusting away the unprotected steel.

And from the looks of that very informative photo, if you scooped up the water and ran it through some filters, what is left could probably be used in a chemical or biological weapon of mass destruction.

If you want the ship to be unmovable, you should lay a pattern of docking blocks on the bottom and set the ship on them. But this is tricky as setting the blocks requires a low tide or a dam upstream. Then sitting the ship on them requires an extreme high tide or a dam downstream.

So you are "damed" if you do and "damed" if you don't.
              Rusty is that what they are planning to do with the Texas?

Comment

Texas is supposed to be put into a "graving dock" at last I checked. She will be completely dry up on supports that will allow you to walk clearly underneath her if they are still sticking to their last plan of action. This way Texas is around for generations to come.

IMO, I dont think the Navy is going to take a chance with the "Showboat". Once they have a plan (which they did awhile back) either they are going to have to dredge her a channel or other method before tugging on her. Shes been sitting for quite some time (1950's) and they learned their lessons with the Intrepid. I will say this, they do manage to keep a nice paint job on her and seem to take good care of her as well.:)

*One thing I could never understand about the museum ships (that dont have sweeping currents underneath) in why they never employed "bubblers" under the hulls like the kind they use for piers in winter but these are used to stop silt from bing able to gather under the hulls.
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Jun 10,, 18:01.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Texas is supposed to be put into a "graving dock" at last I checked. She will be completely dry up on supports that will allow you to walk clearly underneath her if they are still sticking to their last plan of action. This way Texas is around for generations to come.
                  Ya mean they can't take a big ol' crane and lift it?

Back when the Jersey was in drydock 1 undergoing hull work, when the time came to "Bump" the ship, an Engineering Supervisor expected YD 171 ("Herman The German") to get floated over so it could simply lift the Jersey and re-set it on the keel blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post

Back when the Jersey was in drydock 1 undergoing hull work, when the time came to "Bump" the ship, an Engineering Supervisor expected YD 171 ("Herman The German") to get floated over so it could simply lift the Jersey and re-set it on the keel blocks.
                    I sure would like to know who that was (if even true).

However, my step-dad (who worked in 264T) was on an LST getting ready to undock. Two portal cranes (one on each side of the dock) were moving up to about amidships of the LST.

A "Shave Tail" had reported aboard only a few days before undocking. He was watching the two cranes moving up and then asked Pop if they were strong enough to pick the ship out of dry dock.

Well, Pop was an Irishman from Pennsylvania and couldn't help saying, "They're going to do a line up first and then check to see how much each crane can lift with their booms straight out."

The newly graduated Ensign nodded his head and said that sounded like pretty good safety procedures.

Well, Pop being a Navy Veteran himself (in WW I his ship was torpedoed) chuckled and said, "Well, if the cranes are not strong enough, then they will just flood the dock with water, open the caisson gate and float the ship out"
                    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 07 Jun 10,, 21:37.

Comment

I sure would like to know who that was (if even true).
                      What do you mean by "If Even True?"

When have you known me to ever lie?

I was there with Sid Tolman when the guy said it.

Comment

What do you mean by "If Even True?"

When have you known me to ever lie?

I was there with Sid Tolman when the guy said it.
                        I have NEVER known you to lie. But you didn't say you were present at the time of the question.

I'd still like to know who the "engineer" was that asked that. I have a couple of ideas, but that would only be speculation. If it was who I am thinking about, the person did know the crane couldn't lift the ship and was somewhat notorious with his sense of humor. He also won quite a number of "Tall Tale" contests with the camping club he belonged to.

Plus, he was from Texas and Texans are well known for pulling your leg without ever cracking a smile.
                        Last edited by RustyBattleship; 07 Jun 10,, 21:38.

Comment

I have NEVER known you to lie. But you didn't say you were present at the time of the question.

I'd still like to know who the "engineer" was that asked that. I have a couple of ideas, but that would only be speculation. If it was who I am thinking about, the person did know the crane couldn't lift the ship and was somewhat notorious with his sense of humor. He also won quite a number of "Tall Tale" contests with the camping club he belonged to.

Plus, he was from Texas and Texans are well known for pulling your leg without ever cracking a smile.
                          Email me, I'll send you his name

Comment

Not to take anything away from Herman, but I wouldnt trust it either. One false more and your fubared big time. Wouldnt want to have to answer for that one. Especially a 50,000 ton mistake.:))
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Dumb question:

Under her own power what are the odds of BB55 clawing her way out of the mud? Is she floating in the slop or is she sitting in it?

Comment

Working...
                              X