• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Neda: Documentary film about Iran's pro-democracy movement

Recommended viewing. Released just a few days ago:

Film about Iranian protest victim Neda Agha-Soltan beats regime's censors
    Jamming and power cuts fail to prevent documentary going viral
    Ian Black, Middle East editor guardian.co.uk, Friday 4 June 2010

Iran is jamming satellite broadcasts in attempts to stop people seeing a new film telling the story of Neda Agha-Soltan, the young woman who was shot dead during the mass protests that followed last summer's disputed presidential election.

Viewers in Tehran complained of jamming and power cuts on Wednesday and yesterday when the Voice of America Persian TV network broadcast the documentary For Neda, featuring the first film interviews with the family of the 27-year-old.

The 70-minute film, made by Mentorn Media for HBO and being screened in the US this month, has rapidly gone viral in Iran in the run-up to next Saturday's anniversary of the disputed elections that triggered the protests. It is available on YouTube so can be seen by anyone with access to the internet.

Street protests began shortly after the polls closed on 12 June last year, when the incumbent hardliner, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, claimed victory over the Green movement leader, Mir Hossein Mousavi, triggering claims that the vote had been rigged.

Neda became an instant symbol of Iran's struggle for democracy. On 20 June, within hours of her killing – described as "probably the most widely witnessed death in human history" – mobile phone images of her bloodstained face were being held up by demonstrators in Tehran and all over the world.

The film was directed by Antony Thomas and co-produced by Saeed Kamali Dehghan, a former Guardian correspondent in Iran. Kamali Dehghan risked arrest to interview Neda's parents and siblings and obtain unseen footage of her life.

Witnesses have said that she was shot in the heart by a sniper with the Basij militia force, who has been named as Abbas Kargar-Javid.

Iran's intelligence ministry is reportedly due to release its own documentary to remove "ambiguities" surrounding her death and provide "new evidence" about what it calls the west's version of events.

Neda's family were under pressure to cooperate with the official documentary but refused. Two of her friends were forced to participate.

It is not clear whether the official film is the same as one produced earlier this year by Iranian state TV. That suggested that Neda was an agent of the US and Britain who staged her own death and poured blood on her face. BBC Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne was also blamed for her killing before being expelled.

HBO says it took the unprecedented decision to pre-release the film for Iranian audiences because of its relevance in the run-up to the anniversary of the polls.

Ahmadinejad today warned the opposition of tough measures, ahead of protests next week. "Those who want to tarnish the image of the country and its system will be removed from the [political] scene," he said in a speech marking the 21st anniversary of the death of Ayatollah Khomeini, architect of the 1979 Islamic revolution, which toppled the shah.

"The election last year was the most democratic in the world as nowhere else would 40 million people turn up for elections," he claimed. Ahmadinejad pledged: "Whoever stands against the Islamic system will not survive." Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Khomeini's successor as supreme leader, boasted that Iran, facing new UN sanctions over its nuclear programme, was in a position to "see off any conspiracies".

Mehdi Karroubi, a defeated reformist candidate, was attacked and heckled by hardliners when he visited the shrine yesterday. "Whoever objects to fraud in the election is accused of being a Mossad or CIA agent," he said. "The fate of the election is in the hands of the Basijis and revolutionary guards." Karroubi warned on his website that the Islamic regime was being ruined. "They speak as if Imam [Khomeini] belongs to them only and others have broken path with the imam."
    Last edited by 1980s; 06 Jun 10,, 15:27.

"The election last year was the most democratic in the world as nowhere else would 40 million people turn up for elections," he claimed. Ahmadinejad pledged: "Whoever stands against the Islamic system will not survive." Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Khomeini's successor as supreme leader, boasted that Iran, facing new UN sanctions over its nuclear programme, was in a position to "see off any conspiracies".

*Yep, forty million votes counted in four hours where as it takes other countries much more adavced much longer sometimes even days.
    Sorry but "democratic" dont fit your status quo, never has, never will among several other reasons.

Well, if Assahola and Dinnerjacket can see through all conspiracies then how could they possibly miss their very own to defraud the Iranian people of a real leader instead of a racist extremeist idiot through free elections?

Answer: You cant because your elections were rigged and anyone with better then a fourth grade education can see that. One of many reasons why no one respects you or Assahola and never will.

And they wont forget Neda either. Because every time the people protest your unjust, illogical and idiotic rule Neda will be there in their minds.;)
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Jun 10,, 23:01.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Dreadnought,

I have no doubt in my mind that the barbaric republic is well capable of seeing through every single conspiracy. They plan them all themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
        I have no doubt in my mind that the barbaric republic is well capable of seeing through every single conspiracy. They plan them all themselves.
        Aryajet, are they really that dumb though thinking either no one can see this or no one can really do anything to change it? I mean it seems they treat the people like they are morons and the outside world as though its blind?
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

To all WABits who frequent Iranian Question sub-forum

The above documentary will be aired on HBO at 9:00 PM (don't know the time zone but I presume its US Eastern) Monday June 14th.
          The magnitude of struggle by an ancient nation for simple "civil liberty" is mind boggling. Some of my good American friends (in daily life I mean) think every one is born with that privilege and it will last for ever. It won't, if you don't protect what your founding fathers have left for you, your nation will be another [fill in the blank] "istan".
          Apologize the rant.

Comment

1980s reply

Thank you for directing me toward this outstanding documentary. I watched the whole 01:08 of it last night, beside some moisture around eyelids, I was astound "again" to recognize what it takes to be free.
            History has made fool of those who think they can predict the future, but allow me a pass " Next name for Amirabad street in Tehran is Neda" isn't it?

Comment

Working...
            X