Laptop suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop suggestions?

i'm looking to buy a laptop in the $500-$800 range, with a 12-15" monitor. decent video card is a big plus, with main purposes being internet surfing, movie watching, spreadsheet work, financial calculations, and gaming (my sig other plays Call of Duty sometimes).

the two i'm looking at most right now are the HP Pavilion dv6z Select Edition series or the alienware mx11x. any suggestions?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3165dx Entertainment PC for about $850 in February. It's got a 17.3" widescreen and it works perfectly for my uses, namely internet browsing, music and videos and some schoolwork. I don't know how well it would go for gaming, but my last laptop was also an HP. I really like the brand. I was looking at the dv-6 collection, but I wanted something with a bigger screen
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

How good is alienware?
      "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

better than dell, that for sure, dell builds junk at that price range.

Comment

Dell owns Alienware now.

There are only like 3 manufacturers in the world making laptops. They're just branded by different companies.

Astralis, it all depends on if you want a discreet video card or not. AMD has the best integrated video card for laptop now. Those are the cheapest. Of the 2 you listed, go with HP, but with the following upgrades:

Phenom II x2 processor at 2.8GHz
          Radeon 5650 video card

These will bring the laptop to $800, and better spec than the Alienware one.

Triple, or even quad core is nice to have (on the HP laptop) but not at the expense of 40% clock speed.

Alienware laptop has the crappy i845 chipset with integrated graphics, and the clock speed is way lower than Phenom II (2.8GHz). You can watch movies, but let's not play Call of Duty on that.

I'm surprised your wife plays FPS but not you.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Obviously it depends on your uses and pricing, but I'll tell you what, I bought this VAIO laptop I have over 3 years ago, and it is still going strong. That kind of reliability is hard to come by. It has never blue screened, never had any hardware issues (except for a non-working CD ROM, but that was because I accidentally dropped the computer right on the CD ROM,doh!). I gotta say that Sony definitely earned my respect with this thing.
            In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
            The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

I'm a Tosh punter myself and here is why....

I often like to soak in the bath perusing the internet. One day I nudged my laptop and splash! Quick reactions prevented it being totally submerged but it was wet.

The laptop is still with me - the 512mb 3D blah-blah video-card is more then enough for what I need, such as watching the Grand-Prix in HD - and is living proof that all Toshes are splash proof. That said it is not a test I would recommend....

Comment

Working...
              X