Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    ...since I brought it up.

Mother Love Bone formed in 1988 out of the ashes of legendary Seattle area grunge pioneers Green River. While Mark Arm & Steve Turner went off to form Mudhoney, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament & Bruce Fairweather joined vocalist Andrew Woods & drummer Greg Gilmore. The sound was part Led Zepplin, part Guns & Roses and part grunge. They only released one album - 'Apple'. The buzz around the band promised success, but days before the release Woods overdosed on heroin. Who knows what they could have been.
    good choice with Temple Of the Dog. Heard it, loved it. But the Mother Love Bone - i looked it up back in 1994-5, because of the cool connections, but the only song i found on the record that stuck to the mind was Stardog Champion - rest seemed way too usual. Now time has passed, i should look it up again , but i have no equipment to play the old tape with . :)
    If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Bigfella Reply

Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone are two big finds that are excellent choices. Again, like with LIFT TO EXPERIENCE, great finds. Didn't know about either nor their lineage.

Thanks.:)
      Last edited by S2; 03 Jun 10,, 22:47.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
        Temple of the Dog and Mother Love Bone are to big finds that are excellent choices. Again, like with LIFT TO EXPERIENCE, great finds. Didn't know about either nor their lineage.

Thanks.:)
        Part of the musical heritage of the great Pacific North West.;) I'll dig up some Green River too - not as good, but a 'keystone' band (also recorded only 1 album).
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The La's

Channelling the spirit of the 'British Invasion' 25 years earlier, the La's paved the way for the massive success of 'Britpop' a few short years later (itself a series of groups reinventing 60s & 70s British music). Originally named 'the Lads', they apparently changed name when someone stole the 'd' from the name on their drum kit. They were the project of obsessive perfectionist Lee Mavers, who, having fought to get the group success, killed it during the recording of the never released second album. Still, he left something remarkable behind.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Rediscovered the Crash Test Dummies - certainly another solid nominee for this category:

Here's the lead off song:

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Best Crash Test Dummies song ever:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
              X