Best One Album Wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best One Album Wonders?

One hit wonders are a dime a dozen every year, but every so often, you get a band that puts out an entire album that's great (not just a song or tow) and then either disappears or puts together a string of disappointments that amount to much of nothing.

I'd nominate The Wallflowers and Bringing Down the Horse

with One Headlight headlining that album.

I'd also nominate Marcy Playground (self-titled)

with Sex and Candy headlining that album.

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Well, I WAS going to nominate Boston, but their second album was actually pretty decent; so I'm going to have to go with Flock Of Seagulls (anybody remember them?); quintisential '80's synth-pop:

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Blind Faith

Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech. Three from their one and only album-

and a neat electric alternative take

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Traveling Wilburys actually did two albums, but I only know of one! Loved them!!!
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

Ram Jam,one of my all time favourites only hit it big with Black Betty.

BTW, has anyone heard Tom Jones horrendous rendition of Black Betty?

Comment

Disposible Heroes of Hiphoprisy

One of the greatest of all one album wonders - Disposible Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

allmusic ((( Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury > Overview )))

Michael Franti & Rono Tse produced a remarkable sonic & lyrical creation. Also introduced guitarist Charlie Hunter to a wider audience. Even if the politics aren't your style, appreciate how well they work with the music - this is genuis stuff & better than either performer ever managed again.

This one was a minor hit (the album version is even better):

A biting commentary on blacks in the entertainment industry:

A very personal piece with the magnificent guitar work of Charlie Hunter:

A great reworking of a favourite track of mine:

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Thunderclap Newman

John 'Speedy' Keen was a musician & songwiter who was also Pete Townshend's chauffeur. he famously wrote 'Armenia City in the Sky', the opening track of the Who Sell Out. Townshend helped to form a band as a vehicle for Keen's work & subsequently produced their album. 'Something in the Air' was a number one hit, but the equally good album 'Hollywood Dream' that followed tanked & the band broke up. Pity.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:a9fwxqe5ld6e

sigpic

Comment

Jerry Raferty, city to city
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Lift to Experience

For those who know my views on religion, this one will come as a surprise. it is reasonable to assume, therefore, that the one albume produced by Texas trio Lift to Experience must be pretty damned good for me to sit through the preachin'. I'll post a despcription & some vids. if you can track it doen then do, it is worth it.

How's this for a concept album: three musicians from Denton, TX, with the help of former Cocteau Twins Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde, blend My Bloody Valentine's sonic feedback with Kitchens of Distinction's swirling atmosphere and the grace of Jeff Buckley to detail the "crossroads of Texas and Jerusalem." What could have been a tiresome exploration of awkward religious theories is instead a spellbinding journey into the heart of human emotion and guitar dynamics. Josh T. Pearson's beautifully controlled croon works dark magic over arrangements that suggest and depict both the whisper of birth and the fury of Armageddon.... The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads mixes poetic imagery with controlled feedback and emotional expression like few albums outside of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. It's a magnificent yet somehow subtle work of genius that delivers its strange message with incredible innovation and an inspiring feeling of a groundbreaking mission accomplished.
                  allmusic ((( Lift to Experience > Biography )))

Individual tracks don't really capture the magic of the album - it is as a single piece. The give a hint, however.

sigpic

Comment

Parihaka Reply

"Jerry Raferty, city to city"

Pari,

Can't buy it. Not a "one album wonder".

A superb album that holds a special place for me for a couple of reasons but Rafferty had already found some success with Stealer's Wheel and Stuck In The Middle With You. Further, CITY TO CITY would lead to the nearly-as-good NIGHT OWL and subsequent albums.
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Bigfella Reply

Great call on THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN. Sorta pissed that I didn't recall it as I posted Something In The Air early on the music thread. I'll be listening to LIFT TO EXPERIENCE. They seem to qualify with only one album. Pearson's an interesting guy.

Not sure I can agree on Franti yet. I listen to Spearhead quite a bit but I don't know that this work has attained the buzz, legend and lore. Might be me though...
                      Last edited by S2; 28 May 10,, 06:18.

Comment

Lift To Experience

"Best damned band in Texas..."

Holy sh!t!!! I am DESTROYED.

That review understates the apolcalyptic-sonic Buckleyesque grace that those tracks muster. I gotta find a copy. They've got a sense of humor that makes very human the pseudo-religo overtones.

But the musical vision...stunning.

Truly.

Might be the most powerful thing I've listened to in years. I've already checked youtube and it seems you pulled down everything that's out there from the album.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas)

Last edited by S2; 28 May 10,, 06:43.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post

That review understates the apolcalyptic-sonic Buckleyesque grace that those tracks muster. I gotta find a copy. They've got a sense of humor that makes very human the pseudo-religo overtones.

Truly.

Might be the most powerful thing I've listened to in years. I've already checked youtube and it seems you pulled down everything that's out there from the album.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas)]
                          x2. just wow
                          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Truly.

With Crippled Wings live from Paris (not Paris, Texas)
                            Glad you like.:) Trust me, the album is even more remarkable. You just put it on & let it wash over you. It ebbs & flows like it is alive. His voice is as much another instrument as it is a condiut for lyrics. Even the crazy religious stuff seems to work in the context of the music. Listening to it, however, I'm not entirely surprised it was a one off. the world only ends once, after all. Hard to follow that up. ;)

Bought it on the strength of a review in the newspaper (as I did with the DBTs - sometimes you take a chance & it pays off).

If you head on down to my favourite 2nd hand CD site before May 31 you can get it for about US $6.00 - no postage cost. I've bought hundreds of discs off these guys with barely a problem, and the one or two times they sent me something that wasn't as advertised they refunded promptly. Get in quick.

SecondSpin.com | Search
                            sigpic

Comment

Not sure I can agree on Franti yet. I listen to Spearhead quite a bit but I don't know that this work has attained the buzz, legend and lore. Might be me though...
                              I quite enjoy Spearhead & have seen Franti live several times, but their best doesn't even touch the lesser 'Disposable Heroes' stuff. I just love the way it hits the 'one' so damned well & the way that Yse uses samples & effects to drive the music. Wish they'd recorded more together.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X