Best (mostly) instrumental songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best (mostly) instrumental songs?

I'm guess I'm stuck on musically themed threads, but what are your favorite instrumental (or mostly instrumental) songs?

My two nominations include John Mellencamp's "I Need a Lover"

and Traffic's "Glad"

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Dire straits , sultans of swing , the final countdown ,and parisian walkways ,loved the guitar work
    Last edited by tankie; 23 May 10,, 17:05.

Comment

What can I say, I love the guitar...

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

5:58 is where it really starts getting interesting.

Joe Satriani - Midnight (Live G3)

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Right boyz n girlz , google this guy , he is a long standing mate of mine from the north east of England , listen to some sample music and maybe buy a c/d , he is awesome , how he,s not a millionaire i dont know ,i used to watch him every chance i got , his name is

Graham Russell , premier solo guitarist
        Last edited by tankie; 23 May 10,, 13:57.

Comment

Mountain Jam

Allman Bros. from EAT A PEACH or Live at the Fillmore East

A little more than 34 minutes of rock nirvana to my ears. I'd very much like to be buried with a copy of EAT A PEACH or LIVE AT FILLMORE EAST (with Mountain Jam included).
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Sparks & Soul Sacrifice

The Who performing Sparks at the Tanglewood in Boston, July 1970. IMV, the absolute peak of their live performing power. The drumming display provided by Keith Moon is one of the two best I've seen. In particular, him and the rest of the band just LAUNCH at the 2:37 mark into the most ferocious rock I've ever seen on film. True sonic artillery-

Followed by THE OTHER drum performance from this epic instrumental that awoke an entire nation to Santana-

Both instrumentals. Both compelling pieces of music reliant upon improvisational skill and inspirational artistry...
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

As long as we're doing Allman Brothers:

Allman Brothers - Jessica

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Allman Bros.

They've got six instrumentals that stand out for me-Mountain Jam, Jessica, In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed, Les Brers In A Minor, High Falls and the acoustic gem, Little Martha. Three done without Duane. Four written by Betts.

All superb.

Comment

Time to get psychedelic:

Electric Light Orchestra - In the Hall of The Mountain King

There's another version they do with Great Balls of Fire added on, but it's not an instrumental then, is it?

Comment

Pachelbel, Canon in D

Comment

A couple to mind;

Stevie Ray Vaugh- Riviera Paradise
                      Santana- Europa
                      Pink Floyd- Any Colour You Like
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Though I find there a definitive line btwn intrumental and mostly instrumental, I'll post the actual instrumental which I have hundreds of favs, so I'll limit my selections to the last century.:))

Got to see F&T live when I was a kid in '72 or '73. Memorial Hall in Joplin, that was a very big deal for such a small town. Tornado hit Joplin right in the middle of the concert and everyone took cover. It passed and on with the show!

F&T also played this one at thier concert, couldn't find them doing it on youtube.

Discovered these guys awhile back. Totally rockin speed metal instrumental! My wife loves them, has two albums.

Though a late 1800's composition by Russian genius Modest Musorgsky, I include the re-incarnation in my 1900s list because it was just a great service to the original piece.

Here it is as presented in the movie Saturday Night Fever.....

Here is the original....

Comment

As much as I LOVE ELO, thier hall of the mountain king didn't compare to Apocalypta. When you can headbang with three celos in the lead to a crowd THAT size, You friggin rock brutha!!

Here is another concert version(no embedding allowed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aI...eature=related

Comment

Hard to narrow it down to just a few!

Fire On High (Electric Light Orchestra)

Peaches En Regalia (Frank Zappa)

One Of These Days (Pink Floyd)

"Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I guess if you make it an instrumental it is?

I can't friggin believe that these youngsters are rocking to three guys with cellos!!! I could have a blast at that concert!!

Comment

Working...
                              X