Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bands that just never quite reached the top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
    7thsfsniper,

I think Jeff Lynne from The Move and ELO was the brilliance behind that "made for T.V." conglomeration. He's a great arranger and band leader and I sorta suspect that he kind of herded all the cats, so to speak...
    Oh yeah. I agree. I've always been a huge fan of Lynne. That guy has a LOT of songs to his credit and you can always tell when its one of his. He just has a recognizable style that if you don't OD on it, stays interesting.

I think Big Country is an excellent choice. Might also be for the "One Hit Wonders" category.
    They have been classified as one hit wonders on many lists, but they had several great hits before the lead singer died.

Enjoy.....

They even did a great job covering DFTR........

Comment

Don't know if these guys fit the bill, but I sure liked this song...

Comment

This really is getting scary man . I LOVE Big Country - have since I heard them as a kid & got a copy of their best known album (forgot title) on tape. Apparently a lot of effort went into getting that guitar to sound like bagpipes. Worth it.

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
        They have been classified as one hit wonders on many lists, but they had several great hits before the lead singer died.

Enjoy.....

They even did a great job covering DFTR........

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

One Hit Wonders

"They have been classified as one hit wonders..."

I suppose it could be approached as a single track too. Certainly there was a lot of that when top 40 radio was big back in the sixties and early seventies. Never heard from Freda Payne after Band Of Gold.

Almost claimed Dexy's Midnight Runners with Come On Eileen but they actually did a few albums and had a couple of other minor hits.

Finding a true one-hit wonder, album or single, is sorta tough.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Knack with my Sharona.

Damn I hated that song

Comment

pennsy Reply

The Knack is/are a great choice.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Ramones. They are the band that started the Punk movement and yet fame and fortune just barely missed them.

and everyone has heard Blitzkrieg Bop. No need to post that one.

Comment

Gotta nominate "Der Kommissar" by After The Fire (originally done by Falco); here's the MTV version:

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    Gotta nominate "Der Kommissar" by After The Fire (originally done by Falco); here's the MTV version:

Yep!!! They owned that one!! Great pick, great song!!:)

Comment

Yep!!! They owned that one!! Great pick, great song!!:)
                      I actually had the 45 single of that song at one time, haven't seen it since 1990 . . . .

Saw them open for Van Halen back in '85, and they basically got boo'd off the stage; people were throwing stuff at them (whatever was available), and they ended up having to get off the stage before someone got hurt. I think the guitarist got nailed with an orange at one point . . .
                      Last edited by Stitch; 29 May 10,, 05:32.
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I actually had the 45 single of that song at one time, haven't seen it since 1990 . . . .

Saw them open for Van Halen back in '85, and they basically got boo'd off the stage; people were throwing stuff at them (whatever was available), and they ended up having to get off the stage before someone got hurt. I think the guitarist got nailed with an orange at one point . . .
                        Ahhhh, the perils of opening for Van Halen in the 80's. Almost anyone would have gotten the same treatment I think.

People who bought tickets to big shows like that back then did not care to wait through the opener. Ouch! Tough gig.

Comment

Ahhhh, the perils of opening for Van Halen in the 80's. Almost anyone would have gotten the same treatment I think.

People who bought tickets to big shows like that back then did not care to wait through the opener. Ouch! Tough gig.
                          Unfortunately, it was the audience that suffered (including me); the stage was empty for a good 45 minutes (probably closer to an hour) before Van Halen came on at their scheduled time.

Comment

Unfortunately, it was the audience that suffered (including me); the stage was empty for a good 45 minutes (probably closer to an hour) before Van Halen came on at their scheduled time.
                            Time to hit the beer stand!!

Comment

A group of young girls that would have probably shot to the top, as a group, if they had made it to the eighties. Individually, they did pretty good in that decade.

Of course its The Runaways.

Thanks to S-2 for posting a Bangles song on another thread, that got me thinking about these girls.

Out of this group, we got

Joan Jett

Lita Ford

and

Micki Steel playing bass for the Bangles

And not really big but I can't help but post a video of Cherrie Curry singing with the Sandy West band back in 1986.

Comment

The Runaways! Here's one of my favorites...
                                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                                X