Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chinese fighter jet expected by 2018: U.S. intelligence

New Chinese fighter jet expected by 2018: U.S. intelligence

New Chinese fighter jet expected by 2018: U.S. intelligence
    Reuters

By Jim Wolf Jim Wolf – 1 hr 7 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – China is building an advanced combat jet that may rival within eight years Lockheed Martin Corp's F-22 Raptor, the premier U.S. fighter, a U.S. intelligence official said.

The date cited for the expected deployment is years ahead of previous Pentagon public forecasts and may be a sign that China's rapid military buildup is topping many experts' expectations.

"We're anticipating China to have a fifth-generation fighter ... operational right around 2018," Wayne Ulman of the National Air and Space Intelligence Center testified on Thursday to a congressionally mandated group that studies national security implications of U.S.-China economic ties.
    I do remember i saw a "Fifth-generation" model fighter in the Chinese National Air and Space Museum last month.

Regular
    I often read (from US sources) that PLA technological advances are "ahead of projections". I wonder where these particular projections came from.

I.e. in the case of the PLA's 5th gen fighter program, I remember previous estimates suggesting IOC around 2015. Now the official estimate is 2018. Of course this is just a figure I am recalling...

Anyway, this certainly does not suggest "moving ahead of projections"...
    Last edited by mister unknown; 21 May 10, at 09:58.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Then they'd better compress 30+ years of Western engine technology into the project in the projected time-span. It is well known that the Chinese are lagging in that area.

Contributor
    If the Chinese are willing to sacrifice duration for performance, it could be done.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Advanced Chinese fighter jet is like a game made by Blizzard...I'll believe it when I see it.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Advanced Chinese fighter jet is like a game made by Blizzard...I'll believe it when I see it.
    Well, I hope the shareholder's sake their production teams both live up to the marketing claims.

Anyways, for the engine issue, if the Chinese radar technology can evolve from where it was at the end of the Cold War to what it is today, a 10:1 T/W ratio engine shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Defense Moderator
    Defense Professional
    Lei Feng Protege
    bump
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    Well, I hope the shareholder's sake their production teams both live up to the marketing claims.

Anyways, for the engine issue, if the Chinese radar technology can evolve from where it was at the end of the Cold War to what it is today, a 10:1 T/W ratio engine shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.
    Not even the F119 can pull a 10:1 T/W ratio, although F135 seem to be capable of it.

I highly doubt the Chinese can make an engine of 10:1 yet, at least not one that can reliably perform at those rates.

Military Professional
    You've never heard of WoW?

Hey, now! Diablo II was a GREAT game!
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Blizzard, i say it would have been more appropriate to talk of the duke nuke 'em forever, those basterds i waited so long for that game, a treacherous ploy to play with game geeks emotions....
    Last edited by kuku; 12 Jan 11, at 08:28.
    cheers

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Blizzard, i say it would have been more appropriate to talk of the duke nuke 'em forever, those basterds i waited so long for that game, a treacherous ploy to play with game geeks emotions....
    StarCraft: Ghost ring a bell?

How long was the delay for Diablo II?

Where's Diablo III?

Duke Nukem Forever is like the big foot of video games. People claimed to have seen it or heard news about it, but no one knows where it is.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Contributor
    In my opinion the mother of all delays is still for Elite IV (a new version of Elite / Frontier).

Patron
    Don't underestimate the chinese.

They're growing in leaps and bounds at the moment, are flush with cash (the US sure isn't) and are the world leaders in reverse engineering.

They have a population of 2 (?) billion plus, and even if only 1% of them are anywhere near as clever as good US engineers/scientists, that is still say 20 million of them.

Once they start coming into the 21st century, their pace is going to be astonishing. I believe it has started.... look at any of the more advanced electronic stuff in your house purchased in the past 5 years, and a large portion of it is made in china.

Military Professional
    And none of it is the kind of cutting edge metallurgy we're talking about. You can't reverse engineer everything. There's a clear stepping stone path to certain sciences.

There's a big difference between underestimating China and being realistic.

Thread Information