X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Rejects Cold, Hard Cash at its Own Stores

Apple Rejects Cold, Hard Cash at its Own Stores

9:00 AM - May 19, 2010 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US

Physical money isn't good enough to buy an iPad.

The iPad is opening up computing possibilities for many other non-traditional users, such as dogs, cats and even those nearing 100 years old.

Diane Campbell, who is disabled and on a fixed income, wishes to go onto YouTube to learn some new songs to play on her guitar. Instead of getting a computer
    , she's been saving up for an iPad. Slowly she saved up $600 in cash and proceeded to the Apple Store in Palo Alto, Calif.

"It took quite a long time for me to just save up this small amount of money to go down and purchase one," she said to ABC local station KGO. "I had my cash in the backpack and I went up proudly to the counter and told them, 'I would like to purchase an iPad.'"

To her surprise, the Apple store workers told her that cash wasn't a suitable form of payment for the iPad.

"They said, 'Sorry, we don't take cash.' And, so I looked at her and I said OK she's kidding," Campbell recalled. But Apple wasn't kidding, and she wasn't allowed to purchase an iPad without plastic.

The ABC station contacted Apple and was told that the policy is "a limit of two iPads per customer and you must pay by credit or debit card. Gift cards will not work either."

Apple declined to explain its policies, but store workers said it was to curb grey market sales of customers buying iPads in large quantities and selling them overseas at a profit.

Despite cash being "legal tender," the U.S. Treasury Department says that there is nothing in the law that requires businesses to accept cash as payment.

I almost never use cash any more, but this is ridiculous.

I'll make sure Apple never gets my cash, ever.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

I know a large amount of people who refuse to use plastic, only use cash, that way they have better control over their spending. Withdraw X amount at the beginning of the week, and that's it.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

How is Apple going to stop people with 5-10 credit cards from exceeding the 2-limit?
      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Follow up on this story...

Apple Changes Tune, Will Accept Cash for iPad

8:00 AM - May 21, 2010 by Marcus Yam - source: Tom's Hardware US

She gets to keep her cash, though, as Apple hooked her up with a free one

Earlier this week we brought to you the story of Diane Campbell, a disabled woman who saved up $600 in cash to buy an iPad. Sadly, she was turned away from the Palo Alto Apple Store when store staff told her that her cash was no good there. At the time, there was a policy in place that required those who wish to purchase an iPad or iPhone to do so with credit or debit cards.

Now that has all changed, after Diane Campbell had her story told by a local ABC TV station. Her story was told by other media and eventually reached Apple. Be it from the genuine story of Ms. Campbell or the bad press from the refusal of cash, Apple has changed it corporate policy in response.

"About a month ago, we said we'd like you to use a credit card when you buy your iPad, and that was the best way we could think of to make sure that people only bought two per individual," said Apple Sr. Vice President Ron Johnson to ABC's 7 On Your Side. "And then it came to our attention that Diane [Campbell], through your story, was very interested in buying an iPad with cash, and we made a decision today to change that."

For Ms. Campbell's troubles, Apple gave her a free iPad.

"We heard about this, you know... we all would love people like Diane [Campbell] to get an iPad, so I called her up and she was very excited and we're actually on our way to deliver an iPad to her house," said Johnson.
        Apple Changes Tune, Will Accept Cash for iPad

Comment

Interesting, is the ipad in that great demand?

As for not accepting cash, no law against it, very petty though, regardless of excuse, and a pretty bad PR moment too, from a company usually very savvy with marketing.

I personally refuse to get a credit card, I don't want to give the bank any more money than I have to (which through taxpayer funded bailouts, and overpriced loans is already a pretty tidy sum for them).
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
            Interesting, is the ipad in that great demand?
            Yes it is. Apple had to delay the international launch by a few weeks due to strong demands in the US.

As for not accepting cash, no law against it, very petty though, regardless of excuse, and a pretty bad PR moment too, from a company usually very savvy with marketing.
            Absolutely. No law against a company not accepting cash but that's just poor PR. What are you trying to say? My money is no good here?

I personally refuse to get a credit card, I don't want to give the bank any more money than I have to (which through taxpayer funded bailouts, and overpriced loans is already a pretty tidy sum for them).
            I use credit card in place of cash. I always pay off the balance and never owe money. In fact, I get money back from the credit card company, between 1% and 3%.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
              How is Apple going to stop people with 5-10 credit cards from exceeding the 2-limit?
              By asking for SSN's ? If I'm not mistaken, they did that for iPhone 3G's.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I almost never use cash any more, but this is ridiculous.

I'll make sure Apple never gets my cash, ever.
                I bought an iPad shortly after they came out at Best Buy, but they were out of the carrying cases so I ended up at the Apple store and saw the sign there saying cash only. I have to say I was more than a little surprised.
                Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by axeman View Post
                  By asking for SSN's ? If I'm not mistaken, they did that for iPhone 3G's.
                  Illegal immigrants should have no trouble then. They usually have a bunch of SSN numbers ready to give to employers.:) But, seriously, that is a pretty invasive way to do business.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                    Illegal immigrants should have no trouble then. They usually have a bunch of SSN numbers ready to give to employers.:) But, seriously, that is a pretty invasive way to do business.
                    Apple is a far worse monopoly than Microsoft ever was.

Comment

Working...
                    X