Clinton attacks Turkey-Brazil deal with Tehran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman817 View Post
    Look, I've been following this for a while now, and China and Russia are not afraid of Iran. China has been against any sanctions but they need access to the US market and the Obama regime has threatened to introduce customs to Chinese Products and they changed their opinion about Iran and as for Russia I'm sure that they were also paid off by the US somehow.
    You are truly amazing! You would believe anything to justify a wrong position, amazing!

They are working together, that's not a secret, I just fail to see the relevance to my statement.
    Against UN diretives?

Where, we are already too dependent from Europe and Russia, we need to diversify, aside from trade we get 30% of our energy supply from Iran 70% from Russia. There is no way we can compensate for that without getting totally dependent from Russia.
    That is a legitimate concern, did you raise that with your allies(NATO, USA, Europe)? Instead you chose to cosy up with a war monger and annoy your allies, and must i add ... .... ... intentionally? Is that how you win your friends and influence them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ararat View Post
      BTW, you need to enrich to 90% before you can have weapons grade as far as I know and Iran is long way from that.
      You don't need 90% to make a dirty bomb.

Comment

Iran broke IAEA rules, so it must be punished, its not about Israel. Whether Israel or US or China or Russia calls for punishment is imaterial. What you fail to consider is that the Israel you are talking about is not even a voter in the UNSC yet China, Russia and i bet a better half of the other 10 members will sign up for Iran's punishment. Yet all that hitman sees is Israel, Israel, Israel! That is hate hypocricy.

Comment

Everything, this sanctions are all about Israel and its security.
          Its not. Its about world security, Israel will also benefit from Iran stoppage.

how so?
          You are exposing yourself by irrationally condemning Israel for Iran's actions, its called hate ideology. Iran broke IAEA rules therefore should be punished, period. Stop seeing Israel in everything (like the Ahmad'jad and his mullahs, and Islamic fundamentalists) .

Comment

That is a legitimate concern, did you raise that with your allies(NATO, USA, Europe)?
            And they will do what? I don't think US would be willing to compansate lost trade.(EU of course won't move a finger) and diminished trade & energy security will be only a fraction of our problem (power vacuum in ME is always an ethnic time-bomb). If Iran gets destabilized by a prolonged campaign (like Iraq) we will suffer again as we suffered before.

Everything, this sanctions are all about Israel and its security.
            No, they are mainly about US and their strategic aims.

Its not. Its about world security,
            How a nuclear Iran will be a threat to world security? Both US and Russia have much greater nuclear arsenals and have fought many more wars than Iran did in this century.
            Irans power projection is zero and MAD is still a very valid reality.

This rhetoric of portraying Iranians as mindless zealots is not much different than them portraying Jews as the source of all evil.

Comment

Except for the fact that Iran has called time and again for the destruction of Israel, and doesn't mind killing off the couple million Muslim Palestinians living in Israel, or the Jordanians, Lebanese, Syrians and Egyptians who will also probably be injured or killed, as long as Israel is destroyed. That seems pretty heartless and reeks of religious zealotry to me.

Sure, Bernie Madoff was a schmuck, but recently the Jews have been behaving for the most part. The only real portrayals of Israel as the source of evil come from, you guessed it, fanatical and radical Muslim areas including, yup, guessed it again, Iran!!!

Would you like to go on for the bonus round?
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

India snubs US, hails Iran's N-plan

NEW DELHI: The growing policy rift between India and the US on how to deal with Iran's nuclear enrichment plans has come out in the open with foreign minister S M Krishna disagreeing with the American position to welcome Tehran's decision to send its low enriched uranium stock to Turkey.

"That Iran has agreed to send enriched uranium to Turkey, is, I think, a constructive move," the foreign minister told TOI.

Krishna was replying to a question on US's plans to rope in other members of the UN Security Council to impose sanctions on Iran despite the swap deal under which Iran will send 2,640 pounds of its low-enriched uranium to Turkey within one month and, in turn, receive fuel rods for a medical research reactor.

US along with several European nations have taken a dim view of the swap deal facilitated by Brazil and Turkey, suspecting that it was just a manoeuvre to derail the push for Security Council sanctions against Iran.

The swap deal is similar to the offer US and other countries had put on the table in October.

US and others say that that the original swap deal, that Iran accepted only to reject it later, required Tehran to send out 2,640 pounds -- 80% of its stock -- of enriched uranium, and start serious negotiations which could have delayed its pursuit of a nuclear weapon. Now, 2,640 pounds amount to just about half of Iran's stock.

That the fresh swap deal puts no curbs on Iran's plan to accelerate enrichment, and leaves it free to take back the fuel stored in Turkey when it wants, are other reasons why US continues to work for UNSC sanctions against Tehran.

Krishna who was in Tehran when Iran agreed to uranimum swap with Turkey did not agree that sanctions had become inevitable. He said, "Efforts should be made to encourage Iran to deal directly with the IAEA so that it could come to the mainstream. That would be a desirable objective. But I don't know what will happen in future."

His remarks tied in with the perception that India, annoyed Iran by voting in the IAEA against Iran, was busy trying to mend fences. "Civility is certainly no weakness. If I have tried to put our bilateral relationship on a cordial pedestal, it is because of our deep desire to have a friendly relationship with Iran with which we have civilisational and other links."

Asked about the perception of there being a disconnect between US and India over Iran and Afghanistan, the foreign minister said, "US has its own foreign policy and India has its own and if the two were to converge at some point, that doesn't mean to say that we are camp followers of one or the other country. It so happens that both of us take the same view of the relationship."

India's efforts to repair ties with Iran have been encouraged by their shared fears over Pakistan's moves to capitalise on US's anxiety to pull out of Afghanistan to install a proxy regime.
                India snubs US, hails Iran's N-plan - India - The Times of India
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  Except for the fact that Iran has called time and again for the destruction of Israel, and doesn't mind killing off the couple million Muslim Palestinians living in Israel, or the Jordanians, Lebanese, Syrians and Egyptians who will also probably be injured or killed, as long as Israel is destroyed. That seems pretty heartless and reeks of religious zealotry to me.
                  A-Jad is just a moron. The mullahs will not allow him to kill off Iran like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TTL View Post
                    And they will do what?
                    And they will do what they always do for allies, work out a solution. You forget quite a swath of Europe does not have energy sources of their own but they are functioning, solutions are found. Turkey is not the first country to be without energy source. Israel has no energy source and is surrounded by hostile neighbours but Israel is functioning. Im sure im not exergerating when i say Turkey has more friends than Israel, especially in the region. The very fact that when you have a crisis of this magnitude you skip your allies and decide to annoy your allies is very telling. Any relationship is two way. If the US was me i would be giving you back your contribution to the F-35 program and cut you off. What is the guarantee that F-35 technologies wont end up with the RG if Iran so important to you than me your ally?

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                      A-Jad is just a moron. The mullahs will not allow him to kill off Iran like that.
                      Excerpt that Muh'jad does not say something that is not approved by the mullahs especially on matters of foreign policy. Muh'jad is exactly the face of the mullahs' ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                        Excerpt that Muh'jad does not say something that is not approved by the mullahs especially on matters of foreign policy. Muh'jad is exactly the face of the mullahs' ideology.
                        Its only to pull political points, try to project a tough image to a growing resentful population. There is no indication that Iran is willing to commit suicide to bomb Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                          If the US was me i would be giving you back your contribution to the F-35 program and cut you off. What is the guarantee that F-35 technologies wont end up with the RG if Iran so important to you than me your ally?
                          I take it this means you would therefore support a ban on the sale of US technology to Israel.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                            Its only to pull political points, try to project a tough image to a growing resentful population. There is no indication that Iran is willing to commit suicide to bomb Israel.
                            That is trusting Iran's good will, thats believing that Iran has good intentions. So far the evidence is contrary. Iran has behaved and indeed acted in quarrelsome and dangerous manner with its support support for terrorists and proxy killing of allied troops in both Iraq and Afghan. There is no reason to believe that they will suddenly be ameable when they achieve nuclear weaponry. So yes, there is reason to fear their rhetoric.

And remember, Iran does not have to nuke Israel, it is just its posession of a nuclear weapon that will have a very distabilising effect. Check out this recent study:
                            HERZLIYA, Israel: A nuclear-armed Iran would blunt Israel’s military autonomy, a war-game involving former Israeli generals and diplomats has concluded, though some players predicted Tehran would also exercise restraint.

Sunday’s event at a campus north of Tel Aviv followed other high-profile Iran simulations in Israel and the US in recent months. But it broke new ground by assuming the existence of what both countries have vowed to prevent: an Iranian bomb.

“Iranian deterrence proved dizzyingly effective,” Eitan Ben-Eliahu, a retired airforce commander who played the part of Israeli defense minister, said in his summary of the 20-team meeting at the Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Lauder School of Government.

Though the war-game saw Iran declaring itself a nuclear power in 2011, the ensuing confrontations were by proxy, in Lebanon. In one, emboldened Hizbullah fighters fired missiles at the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv. That was followed by US and Israeli intelligence findings that Iran had slipped radioactive materials to its Lebanese cohort, to assemble a crude device.

Neither move drew Israeli attacks, though Ben-Eliahu said his delegation had received discreet encouragement from Arab rivals of Iran to “go all the way” in retaliating.

Instead, Israel conferred with the US, which publicly supported its ally’s “right to self-defense” and mobilized military reinforcements for the region while quietly insisting the Israelis stand down to give crisis talks a chance. “As far as the US was concerned, Israel was trigger-happy. It sought to use the Hizbullah [missile] attack as justification for what the US was told would be an all-out war,” said Dan Kurtzer, a former US ambassador to Israel who flew in to play President Barack Obama at the IDC.

Kurtzer voiced satisfaction with his team’s response to the “dirty bomb,” which entailed cajoling UN Security Council powers into mounting an armed intervention against Hizbullah.

“Countries like China and Russia have their own terrorists, and don’t want to see them getting nuclear weapons,” he said.

“In certain circumstances, agile US diplomacy can actually work in this region, and it ends up not only leaving Israel in check but it also ends up [with Washington] leading a willing international coalition.”

Those playing Iran and Hizbullah went as far as to question the very premise that Tehran would let the Lebanese resistance goad Israel into a potentially catastrophic fight, or give them nuclear know-how that would worry even sympathizers like Syria.

Aharon Zeevi-Farkash, a retired Israeli intelligence chief acting as Iranian supreme leader Ali Khamenei, insisted Iran would regard its bomb as a means of “self-defense and strategic balance” – an allusion to Israel’s own, assumed atomic arsenal. Such assessments are seldom voiced by Israel’s rightist government, which describes a nuclear-armed Iran as a mortal danger. Where Israeli officials would once make veiled threats to strike Iran, now they often try to warn the West against accommodating their foe, which denies seeking atomic weapons.

In what appeared to signal government discomfort with the war-game, a senior Israeli defense official who had been due to attend withdrew at short notice. A Foreign Ministry spokesman said a written summary would be studied at government-level.

That left Tzipi Livni, the centrist head of Israel’s opposition, as the most prominent observer of the IDC event.

“As leader of the free world, the US has the responsibility of leading more effective sanctions that can turn around, absolutely, this shift from a process of stopping [Iran’s nuclear aims] to a process of acceptance,” she said.

While the simulation found no immediate international drive to tackle Iran, Kurtzer attributed this to passive factors such as US war-fatigue. He complained of a failure to address ramifications such as a nuclear arms race among Arab powers.

Some of the participants – including those playing Israel, the Palestinians and Syria – saw an opportunity for renewed Middle East peacemaking that might head off Iran’s ascendancy.

“This was tactical, but of course tactics can often serve real strategic interests, both for us and for the Americans,” said Zalman Shoval, a former Israeli ambassador to Washington, after playing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
                            Link

Comment

Israel doesn't have the capability to flatten Iran or its Nuclear Installations, if they did, they already would have flattened them. The only thing that Israel can do is to attack Iran and hope that the US will intervene in order to stop Iran from shutting down the Strait of Hormuz.
                              I think Hitman has a point here. And even then, is the US capable of opening a third front with Iraq? (I am actually asking, it's not a rhetorical question).
                              Especially when we are talking about a country of 75 million, when North Korea and South Korea are having a row and the economical crisis has reduced much spending and when China and Russia want Iran operational (for their own reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                                I take it this means you would therefore support a ban on the sale of US technology to Israel.
                                If Israel is cosing up to a strategic threat to the US and is being an impediment in dealing with that threat, prefering friendship of the threat over friendship of the US, then of cause i would support a ban of US technology to Israel.

Comment

Working...
                                X