Navy to reopen bids for IOWA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    You are all invited and I will give all of you personal tours.

Er, by the way, alcoholic beverages won't be allowed aboard the ship. But we can make up for that later in the afternoon/evening/night/next daybreak.
    Come on, you know you'll have a stash on there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
      Come on, you know you'll have a stash on there somewhere.
      nah.. she's a Navy ship, and the US Navy's been dry for what, 10,000+ years or there abouts now.. (ok a SLIGHT over statement) but... :))

Comment

*Officially* dry as a bone.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          I think the Mo should look like her WW2 incarnation because thats when the most historical significant thing on an Iowa class happened aboard her. And it ties in with Arizona as a memorial to WW2. Thats her claim to fame. Make her look the part.

As for "Looking at Ww2 BBs" the ones mentioned were not the ships used for the surrender of Japan. Missouri was.

The other ones are in their Iraq outfit.
          The concept of placing reproduction items on a ship, is a dreadful idea. I hate all things fake. There is nothing like touching a plastic 40mm AA mount. Let us not make any counterfeit BB's. The Iowa's have a history. Let us not bastardize it!

Comment

Damn started a bunch of crap without meaning to.

Wasn't trying to start an argument last night. Just doing a little "Wishful thinking". Stuff that I know will never happen but If I was king of the world.

This isn't the first time I've expressed a desire to have Missouri look like she did when the Japanese surrendered on her deck.

I know its no feasible because of cost. And Surfgun, those fake guns, I'm thinking of some of the Hollywood visual effects companies building non working models from the original blueprints. Not plastic stuff.

As I wrote before, I know the money isn't there but damn it would look good.

For the spares. I'll bet that if you offered the agencies/groups that run the other three ships a chance to get what they need from the Iowa if she was being sent to the scrap yards, none of them would say "Nope we don't need anything".

They are dry ships!!!! You mean even the engine room doesn't have a bit of hooch brewing?

Rusty I would be honored to have a tour from you , if I ever get to the West coast.

Comment

Aw, I thought that the Texas would have to have it's tripod masts, replaced with latticed ones, The Essex classed museums (and Midway) would need those modern angled flight decks ripped off, If one of the Forrestal's became a museum it would be time to weld on the 5"ers, If the Enterprise were to become a museum it would be time for the Bee Hive!

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                Aw, I thought that the Texas would have to have it's tripod masts, replaced with latticed ones, The Essex classed museums (and Midway) would need those modern angled flight decks ripped off, If one of the Forrestal's became a museum it would be time to weld on the 5"ers, If the Enterprise were to become a museum it would be time for the Bee Hive!
                Why?

I think only the Mo should be converted/modified. The historically significant contribution of the Mo was being the place where Japan surrendered. And it is physically tied into the Arizona. The start and end of the war all in one place.

The other ones could stay as they are. No historical significance compared to that act. The NJ comes close.

The Essex museum ships all have other historical contributions after their SCB conversions

Comment

Oh' common the Enterprise's phased array radars have historical significance.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

We have some long range plans for Iowa as you say most museums could not do everything in the first stage. The most expensive item topside is to reassemble the mast. Dry Docking is another matter as our great Morreel Dry Dock 1 at the former LBNSY has been filled in. But NASSCO near San Diego they have a floating Dock big enough as they put the Midway in it for the hull preservation work. There is also one up in the San Francisco Bay area large enough and the company that owns it did the Dry Dock work on the Missouri last year.
                    When you say reassemble the mast I assume you are referring to getting it back into place. Well, should you get her, then maybe someone should become friends with the local Operating Engineers Union. I know that the Hornet had to have two radars lifted back into place. The platform for Elevator 3 had to be taken off the deck and placed back. We needed a large crane to lift our F-14 off a barge. All that was donated by the union in our region.

The 3"/50 twin mount was lifted free of charge. The crane came up from the Chevron area via barge and tug. Then they went all the way back to Alameda to unload onto our own barge. We simply paid for the fuel used from what I understand. The crane happens to move back and forth around Suisun Bay so all we had to do was coordinate a day that would work for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Oh' common the Enterprise's phased array radars have historical significance.
                      Wishful thinking but I agree, I'd love to see Enterprise restored with her box island and beehive hat
                      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                      X