Why no more 9/11 type attacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Doesn't bother me in the least. Give up 60 seconds of my duty-free shopping to have someone wave a wand over me, and that to make sure that my flight is safer.
    They were obviously not really checking then. A full check involves some copious groping, at least in London. What you're describing is pretty much the standard check for everyone.

Comment

They pulled me over, said it was a random check. Waved a wand with an explosives sniffer thingie over my clothes, and through every pocket of my knapsack (my carry on bag). Then they did a standard patdown like they do on all the police shows, waited for the explosives scan to come through negative, and they let me go. It might have been 2 minutes...
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I like when I get checked, makes me feel a bit safer.

So far none of my kit has fired off an explosives warning. I'm sure it will happen eventually as I work in mining and my tool bag comes in contact with trace amounts. I wonder how that will go down?
        Originally posted by GVChamp
        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

I'm glad to see that your countries do those checks. When I flew to England 3 years ago all they did was put your bag through a scanner and you walk past the metal detector thing. And my belt buckle made it go off but the security there was busy chatting to one another and didn't even look at me. So.... I got on the plane without anyone stopping me. When I returned from England it was a TOTAL different story. I had to remove my shoes, and belt and stand infront of this big X-ray thing. And that was a problem coz my pants wouldn't stay up coz I had to remove my belt. And the security people got kinda angry at me coz you have to stand stil and I'm grabbing for my pants every few seconds.

But the not being searched in South Africa botherd me more than the whole ordeal in England.

Comment

In Israel they don't make you take your shoes or belt off, yet they haven't had any incidents in over 40 years, and an El-Al plane has never been hijacked. I have no idea why.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsfeet View Post
              Why hasn’t the concept been used since?

Steve
              I'm gonna beat the shit out of anyone who looks remotely dangerous on the plane that I'm on. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

AQ made hijacking a plane nearly impossible.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

In Israel they don't make you take your shoes or belt off, yet they haven't had any incidents in over 40 years, and an El-Al plane has never been hijacked. I have no idea why.
                Israelis know how to treat terrorists.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I should have phrased that differently, even though the answer would probably suffice. What I meant to say was, in Israel you don't take off your shoes and belt, I have no idea why.

Comment

The best reason I can say why no more 911 type attacks, is this. In 2001, like 1941, the enemy caught American snoozing.

War was an after thought, religated to reality tv on CNN of some plane bombing some country far far away. America was coming off a huge economic boom, eminem and brittney spears had the eyes and ears of America set on autopilot.

Just like in 1941 however, a giant was awoken. Unlike 1941 however, Britain, spain, indonesia among others were attacked by large scale attacks.

I believe that these attacks, kicked everyone into gear, and now trying to plan a large scale attack in a western countrie is near impossible. Instead terrorists have resorted to smaller attacks. Such as the airplane bomb at christmas, or the recent car bomb plan in New York.

However, getting the security measures put in place since 911 have seemed to worked. Look at the huge plan to bomb multiple airplanes in 2006, for example.

Not just this, but every foiled attack leads a trail of evidence and money, so every foiled attack helps the west snuff out the source.
                    Last edited by Canmoore; 19 May 10,, 04:47.

Comment

What happened in 1942? Pearl Harbor was in 1941, no? The Japanese taking over the Pacific islands wasn't really catching the US sleeping, it caught the US helpless, but definitely awake and aware of what was happening...

Comment

What happened in 1942? Pearl Harbor was in 1941, no? The Japanese taking over the Pacific islands wasn't really catching the US sleeping, it caught the US helpless, but definitely awake and aware of what was happening...
                        erp!! my gaf, thanks for pointing that big one out!!

The link I was making was that the attack on Pearl Harbour, brought the war to America. And lead America to a massive mobilization of forces.
                        Last edited by Canmoore; 19 May 10,, 04:46.

Comment

Working...
                        X