Iranian F-14 related question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iranian F-14 related question

It always puzzles me watching those Tomcats still carrying the Arresting Hook around.
    Does any one know why?

I mean it makes sense to remove them along with all the hydraulic system and other related operating mechanism, weight and flying don't get along very well. Right?

Thanx in advance.

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
    It always puzzles me watching those Tomcats still carrying the Arresting Hook around.
    Does any one know why?

I mean it makes sense to remove them along with all the hydraulic system and other related operating mechanism, weight and flying don't get along very well. Right?

Thanx in advance.
    Aryajet, when the F-14 Tomcats were designed, they were designed with Naval service in mind, Most flew from the Carriers although you still had a few land based aircraft and a few countries got their hands on a couple including Iran. They were one of the first, if not the first aircraft designed specifically with naval carrier service as its main employment. One of the very best jets the Navy ever had bar none. Iran had been trying to aqquire spare parts for their F-14's up until a few years back so when the US took them out of service, they literally chewed up all of what was left, minus their spares ofcoarse. One hell of an aircraft.;)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So, basically you're saying that there's no way to take off the tailhook assembly?
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Actually, that is interesting; you would think that the IRIAF would've removed those things a long time ago, especially since they probably don't work anymore anyway (quite frankly, I'm amazed that Iran even still has any F-14's that are still airworthy). My guess is it's more trouble to remove them than it's worth. Also, most land-based US aircraft (including the F-22) actually carry a one-shot arresting hook (usually a light-duty unit) for use "in an emergency landing" (like if the brakes fail, or the landing gear doesn't come down all the way), but I don't think Iran has any contingencies for "emergency arrested landings", so the tailhook seems superfluous.
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Funny things start happening when you monkey with the weights and balances on fighters.

Taking a couple hundred pounds off the extreme aft end trims the jet nose heavy. Might be okay to trim out with a light load, but how will it handle with full stores? There are CG limits that you can't exceed. I'm reminded of the British experience when they tried to leave the gun off the Typhoon.

My sense is that if you removed that weight, you would have to ballast it back in. Then what's the point? Might as well just leave it alone, you will never get the ballast exactly the same as the hook gear anyway.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Thanks for the replies Gents.
            Having 2 massive rotor blade systems on the extreme ends of the helo we barely had balance problem in the Chinook that is probably why I totally forgot about weight & balance issue.

highsea got it right, you take that much weight from the extreme end of the aircraft you'll get one nose heavy jet and it will be a handful to fly.

Nowadays I fly R.C planes and we constantly struggle with getting the CG on the right spot and keep crashing the planes because they were either nose or tail heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
              Funny things start happening when you monkey with the weights and balances on fighters.

Taking a couple hundred pounds off the extreme aft end trims the jet nose heavy. Might be okay to trim out with a light load, but how will it handle with full stores? There are CG limits that you can't exceed. I'm reminded of the British experience when they tried to leave the gun off the Typhoon.

My sense is that if you removed that weight, you would have to ballast it back in. Then what's the point? Might as well just leave it alone, you will never get the ballast exactly the same as the hook gear anyway.
              I was going to guess that, but I didn't realize that a couple of hundred pounds of "ballast" would make that much difference on a 50,000 lbs. fighter; that's only 0.4% of the weight of the a/c.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Stich,

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                I was going to guess that, but I didn't realize that a couple of hundred pounds of "ballast" would make that much difference on a 50,000 lbs. fighter; that's only 0.4% of the weight of the a/c.
                Looking at pix it seems that arresting hook and related system could be lot heavier than 200 lbs, in any case the distance from GC (lever) makes it critical. The hook is at the far end of tail almost the longest distance from the CG.

Comment

Working...
                X