Afghanistan Generals Left Baffled By PowerPoint Slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shek Reply

You're always assigning homework to provide a foundation.;)

Fair enough. You work on that bathroom and the rest of us will get busy becoming amateur SMEs. Thanks for the detailed links. I'll look forward to your input down the road...
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
      You're always assigning homework to provide a foundation.;)

Fair enough. You work on that bathroom and the rest of us will get busy becoming amateur SMEs. Thanks for the detailed links. I'll look forward to your input down the road...
      What's interesting about the EBO/SOD/alternative debate is that confirmation bias abounds - it's amazing how many people see different things from the exact same thing. People conflate EBO and SOD, and because of this, draw incorrect inferences from the Israeli use of EBO leading up to 2006 (and it's impacts on the outcome of the fight with Hizbollah).

As for the paper, I think FA Hayek best sums up my thought on design:

Quote by Friedrich von Hayek: "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to..."

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek Reply

We're running close to thread de-railment but you've sent me googling. You may have already seen this but I haven't and will be adding it to my read list for this weekend-

Systemic Operational Design (SOD):
        Gaining and Maintaining the Cognitive Initiative-Maj. Ketti C. Davison USA

"This monograph began as an investigation to determine if either Effects-Based Operations (EBO) or Systemic Operational Design (SOD) should replace the traditional Military Decision-Making Process (MDMP). It soon became clear that the approaches do not accomplish the same functions, are not applicable at the same levels, and are not mutually exclusive. The Military Decision-Making Process originated as a tactical decision-making process, and remains the most appropriate of the three approaches at that level. It deals with the physical threat on the ground with a decisiveness enabled by an organization of hierarchical authority. Effects-Based Operations is suitable only at the operational level. It takes the time to model the threat as a holistic system and contemplates the desired behavior changes various actions on that system would produce. It exceeds the physical realm of the tactical and explicitly translates strategic directives into tactical effects. Systemic Operational Design is a holistic approach that introduces the discrete element of design in order to inform planning. It is abstract and conceptual. It creates a cognitive map and continually updates it by the learning that occurs through action."

As for Israel/POG, you've long argued about the inability of Israel to translate strategic and operational imperatives into a coherant policy effected down on the deck. What you're offering may better help my understanding behind the rationales driving your perspective.
        Last edited by S2; 30 Apr 10,, 19:59.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Colbert takes a swing at using the design chart:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...--afghandyland
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
            Sadly right on the money.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
            X