Blueskid gets screwed again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueskid gets screwed again.

So, the lad is now assigned to 2nd Batallion, 34th Armor. He was going along just fine in good ole Fort Riley...until they found out he wasn't going to re-enlist.

That's when all the trouble started.

He asked for leave so that he could attend the biggest family party his mother's side has had in ten years: his great-grandfather's 90th birthday. Everybody in the entire family, from all over the country, will be there...but not HIM. No real reason to deny leave, but he got word from a friend in the front office that his name and leave request came up, and the decision was made on the basis of his re-enlistment choice.

Yesterday, during a training evolution for his new position as a gunner on the company CO's Humvee, with no explanation and no ceremony, he was re-assigned on the spot as a dismount on a Bradley crew. It was generally known that his preference was to be a Hummer gunner and that he HATES the Bradley, and he thinks that, once again, he was re-assigned based on nothing more than his declination of re-enlistment.

They're just messing with him, as only the Army can do. He's been a good soldier, but for a lot of good reasons, he wants to do something else now. He actually WANTS to go to Afghanistan, so it's not like he's turning down re-enlistment to get out of a combat deployment (which likely wouldn't work, anyway: they're just going to extend his enlistment by six months so that he'll go for the year his unit will be in Iraq). His unit is assigned to go to Iraq, which is WAY safer than Afghanistan these days, so it's not like he's trying to avoid danger.

Kids, hear me: if you're thinking of joining the Army, give it another thought. They LOVE doing stuff like this to you.

Yup , its power mad control freaks , usually desk warriors ,who dont know shit from clay , they do it because they can , no such thing as fairness
    Last edited by tankie; 27 Apr 10,, 19:46.

Comment

Can he ask for a transfer? I have read some remarks made by serving members and one in particular caught my eye:

"Good guys some of the worst ldrs i ever served with affected morale"

Not a good recommendation.

Comment

When my uncle got married, every single person alive in the family was there, except for one person. Moi. Another wedding, I was there in uniform, since I drove there directly from base and didn't have time to change. I showed up 5 minutes before the ceremony started.

Armies all over the world do this to every single soldier alive. It's just another one of those things that make Army life so interesting
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          When my uncle got married, every single person alive in the family was there, except for one person. Moi. Another wedding, I was there in uniform, since I drove there directly from base and didn't have time to change. I showed up 5 minutes before the ceremony started.

Armies all over the world do this to every single soldier alive. It's just another one of those things that make Army life so interesting
          Well, if there is a good reason to deny him leave for what is obviously a Big Dam' Family Deal(tm), okay; we all know what we're doing when we sign the line, which is dotted.

But this is petty, and it is really, really MEAN, to screw over the entire family.

He's served in combat and he did a good job. He didn't earn this, doesn't deserve it, and I'm going to hurt 'em for it, even if it's just a tiny bit of bad PR.

Comment

Advice from a former grunt: Be careful with that. We had one TC, we'll call him X, who got into TC course because his dad was a Lt. Col and good friends with our Brigade CO. All TC course approvals go through the CO, and he gave this kid the place instead of someone (Y) who really wanted it , deserved it, was already getting lots of pointers from the TC's in our unit and was being groomed as a TC. Our Company CO was as shocked as the rest of us when X got sent instead. X turned out to be a horrible TC and was eventually sent to rot in a distant base doing a crap job that had nothing to do with tanks, and Y never got sent to TC course.

Every single person in the unit was pissed off at X, and we were glad when he got shafted to a shite position. It might make Blueskid's life hard if it comes out that you're helping him from up top.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              Advice from a former grunt: Be careful with that. We had one TC, we'll call him X, who got into TC course because his dad was a Lt. Col and good friends with our Brigade CO. All TC course approvals go through the CO, and he gave this kid the place instead of someone (Y) who really wanted it , deserved it, was already getting lots of pointers from the TC's in our unit and was being groomed as a TC. Our Company CO was as shocked as the rest of us when X got sent instead. X turned out to be a horrible TC and was eventually sent to rot in a distant base doing a crap job that had nothing to do with tanks, and Y never got sent to TC course.

Every single person in the unit was pissed off at X, and we were glad when he got shafted to a shite position. It might make Blueskid's life hard if it comes out that you're helping him from up top.
              Oh, I'm in no position to help, and you just witnessed my best weapon being used: talk a potential recruit into another service or line of work.

Probably ineffective, but the dam' Army should be shown that this sort of vindictiveness is NOT in their interest. Furthermore, they should laud a man's service by giving him something he's due, something he's earned: his LEAVE. By not doing so, they show themselves to be small and mean and ungrateful.

Dam' Army.

Comment

I was given the shaft many a time by the army, but when I look back at it, the good experiences outnumbered the bad experiences, so it sums up as a good experience in my book. That, and the fact that I had no choice, I had to do it anyway, figured I'd make the most out of those three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  Oh, I'm in no position to help, and you just witnessed my best weapon being used: talk a potential recruit into another service or line of work.

Probably ineffective, but the dam' Army should be shown that this sort of vindictiveness is NOT in their interest. Furthermore, they should laud a man's service by giving him something he's due, something he's earned: his LEAVE. By not doing so, they show themselves to be small and mean and ungrateful.

Dam' Army.
                  Well THAT's just DAMN great....my son has signed the dotted line for the Army, went through all of his interviews, physical, the whole nine yards. They now know more about him than I probably know. He's awaiting orders..... :(

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                    Well THAT's just DAMN great....my son has signed the dotted line for the Army, went through all of his interviews, physical, the whole nine yards. They now know more about him than I probably know. He's awaiting orders..... :(
                    I'm proud of that young warrior, Julie.

GO ARMY!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                      Kids, hear me: if you're thinking of joining the Army, give it another thought. They LOVE doing stuff like this to you.
                      Sounds like the same ol', same ol' to me! You would have thought I had shot the company mascot, pissed in everybodys Cheerios and burned a flag AND was deserving of a dishonorable the day I said I wasn't re-upping. Got handed every shit job till the day I left. I think its Army SOP. On the same note, I've heard the Marines do the same thing when you decide to depart from the beloved corps before retirement. As if any job there could be any worse.

Must be a grunt thing.;)

Comment

For lack of a better term that really sucks what the Army did to your son Bluesman. Sounds like your kid is a cut above as a lesser man would have done something stupid to retaliate. How are the other branches in relation to this petty crap?
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

All you military guys do is gripe all the time.:)) Seriously, Blues, I'm sorry to hear of your son's poor treatment. He served well and that ought to be good enough. I never saw anything like that when I was in...and everyone knew I was not going to re-up. Maybe the Navy is different. There will come a day when your son will be proud of his service. God bless him and keep him safe in Iraq.
                          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Transfers

My active duty battalion commander in 1-17 FA asked me what I'd like to do next prior to assignment to the field artillery advance course. Max OERs and thoroughly qualified for battery X.O or battalion FDO. Told him either would be great but that I had no intention of attending the advanced course as I wasn't slated to do so until September 1982, six months following the expiration of my active duty obligation and that I had no intention of staying on active duty.

Three days later I was transferred out of the battalion to Ft. Sill Range Control for the duration of my tour.:))
                            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                              Good for him, I've been in for 9.5 years. Joined out of High School--though I joined the National Guard in PA, spent 15 months on an Iraq Deployment, 15 months on an Afghanistan Deployment, and have been Active Duty for the Guard ever since! I think it's great--but then again, AGR (Active Guard/Reserve) is all the GOOD things about regular Army (pay, entitlements, retirement) with none of the CRAPPY things about regular Army (0500 formations, Permanent Change of Station every 3+ years, etc)

I'm in HR for the Army full time, Financial Management is my "Army Job" (MOS), and I handle benefits too (tricare, education bene's, etc.)! If you need to know anything, let me know! :))
                              "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Working...
                              X