Iran Unveils Iranian "S-300" on Army Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
    Actually it is copy of the Hawk, I think they call it I-Hawk.
    iHawk - when Steve Jobs tries to sell his new product at a Macworld convention to thousands of die-hard Mac fans.

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I-Hawk stands for improved Hawk. The Iranians bought this model in 72. Probably some batteries still operational.
      HAWK

Comment

JCT Reply

"The Iranians bought this model in 72. Probably some batteries still operational."

Possibly reversed-engineered into more?
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I'm going with reverse-engineered; I find it hard to believe that Iran still has some 1970's-vintage HAWK's laying around that they haven't already fired off at random enemy aircraft since 1972. Also, the level or workmanship (or lack thereof) looks pretty shoddy, so they may be of indigenous manufacture.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Also, the level or workmanship (or lack thereof) looks pretty shoddy, so they may be of indigenous manufacture.
            Or maybe... another example of some "drum artwork for parade use only"?

Comment

They said it was a similar system, but these are not the S-300s which were ordered from Russia (but have still not been delivered).

Comment

Originally posted by Kermanshahi View Post
                They said it was a similar system, but these are not the S-300s which were ordered from Russia (but have still not been delivered).
                Similar is such a broad word however. A horse is similar to a camel after all- they both have four legs, can carry people or burdens, were used in a cavalry role, are raced, are mammals, eat plants, have eyes on the sides of their heads......

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Similar is such a broad word however. A horse is similar to a camel after all- they both have four legs, can carry people or burdens, were used in a cavalry role, are raced, are mammals, eat plants, have eyes on the sides of their heads......
                  Well, there is much speculation about it being based on the Chinese HQ-9 from designes which Iran somehow aqcuired from China. Iranian leaders have only said this is an Iranian made long-range system similar to S-300, they didn't report anything else.

Comment

Well, there is much speculation about it being based on the Chinese HQ-9 from designes which Iran somehow aqcuired from China. Iranian leaders have only said this is an Iranian made long-range system similar to S-300, they didn't report anything else.
                    Perhaps, but the dimensions don't seem to add up.... I'm with holding judgment until I see more pics including the radar and missile. I think Iran could build the rocket needed, but I am not at all convinced they can do the required micro circuitry and programming for an advanced SAM and its radar.

Comment

S-2

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                      "The Iranians bought this model in 72. Probably some batteries still operational."

Possibly reversed-engineered into more?
                      That is what I meant by saying copy. They have reversed engineered it, they have also managed to mount it on Tomcats.

Comment

No! They did not.

Actually the day after the parade in an interview Defense Minister said it is an intermediate AA with 40 km range and about 60,000 ft altitude. That is not even close to S-300 or HQ-9 capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          Or maybe... another example of some "drum artwork for parade use only"?
                          I'm not well versed in Iranian defense infrastructure like Zraver is but as far as I know Iran has made 2 different versions of "modernized" Hawk systems named Shahin (means Hawk) and Mersad (Ambush) and both are in service.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                            No! They did not.

Actually the day after the parade in an interview Defense Minister said it is an intermediate AA with 40 km range and about 60,000 ft altitude. That is not even close to S-300 or HQ-9 capabilities.
                            He was talking about another system which was at the parade.

Comment

He was talking about another system which was at the parade.
                              Incorrect!
                              There was no other ADS in the parade which required an explanation from MoD.

Comment

Proposed new UN sanctions against Iran will not stop Russia from fulfilling its contract to deliver S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to the Islamic Republic, a senior Russian lawmaker said on Friday.

"This draft resolution does not affect existing contracts between Russia and Iran," the head of the upper house's international relations committee, Mikhail Margelov, said.

The so-called Iran Six - the United States, Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia - discussed on Tuesday a draft Security Council resolution expanding sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program.

Observers say however the delivery of Russian S-300s will be prohibited under the draft resolution, which includes a ban on the supply of defensive weapons to Iran.

But Margelov called the draft resolution "balanced" and said the proposed sanctions are not "paralyzing or suffocating."

"We are talking only about those inevitable measures which might be needed if Iran does not play by the IAEA rules," he said.

"Russia is a responsible seller of any of its products on foreign markets and we are not interested in the militarization of the [Middle East] region," Margelov told reporters.

Moscow signed a contract on supplying Iran with at least five S-300 systems in December 2005. However, the contract's implementation by Russia has so far been delayed.

The United States and Israel have called on Russia not to deliver the missiles to Iran.

The West is also concerned by Russia's role in helping Iran to build its first nuclear power plant in Bushehr. The head of the Russian State Atomic Energy corporation, Sergei Kiriyenko, said last week the plant will begin operating by late summer.

MOSCOW, May 21 (RIA Novosti)
                                Russia's delivery of S-300 missiles to Iran 'not hit by UN sanctions' | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire
                                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X