Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 149 Years Ago

  1. #1
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636

    149 Years Ago

    The South began the bombardment of the federal fort, Fort Sumter, sparking the hostilities that would enflame the United States for four long years. The Sesquicentennial celebrations starting next year should be interesting.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Apr 07
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    11,214
    Spring is here. Staff ride?
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

  3. #3
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD_333 View Post
    Spring is here. Staff ride?
    I wish. I'm behind on the master bath remodel. I'm just now doing up the pocket doors framing and need to finish out the accessory blocking and run electrical before I can do the rough-in inspection and then bring in the drywaller and tiler. Compounding matters (in a good way) is we just had kid #4 three weeks early.

    I'd love to be able to walk some of the Overland Campaign battlegrounds in 2-4 weeks at the same time as it happened 146 years ago so I could get a feel for the exact light conditions and similar weather (maybe). For example, part of Upton's success at Spotsylvania was probably due to the setting sun (in addition to a good infiltration route against the salient), but seeing that and verifying that would be useful.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Apr 07
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    11,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post
    I wish. I'm behind on the master bath remodel. I'm just now doing up the pocket doors framing and need to finish out the accessory blocking and run electrical before I can do the rough-in inspection and then bring in the drywaller and tiler. Compounding matters (in a good way) is we just had kid #4 three weeks early.

    I'd love to be able to walk some of the Overland Campaign battlegrounds in 2-4 weeks at the same time as it happened 146 years ago so I could get a feel for the exact light conditions and similar weather (maybe). For example, part of Upton's success at Spotsylvania was probably due to the setting sun (in addition to a good infiltration route against the salient), but seeing that and verifying that would be useful.
    Yes, probably wishful thinking on my part as well. But in 3-4 weeks? Who knows. Interesting idea on Spotsylvania. I suppose you have the actual times of the day tied to events.

    Since we spoke, I started the basement theater, now expanded to a full basement finish. We got our rough-in inspections today; passed; drywall tomorrow. Will have another job running concurrently--also a basement theater job starting May 1. That and all the in between jobs is keeping us busy.

    Congrats on the addition to the family. It does complicate things, but, yes, in a nice way.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

  5. #5
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    bigross86's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Aug 03
    Location
    Tel Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    14,070
    Congrats on the latest. Having three older siblings to take care of you is always fun.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

    Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

  6. #6
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD_333 View Post
    Yes, probably wishful thinking on my part as well. But in 3-4 weeks? Who knows. Interesting idea on Spotsylvania. I suppose you have the actual times of the day tied to events.

    Since we spoke, I started the basement theater, now expanded to a full basement finish. We got our rough-in inspections today; passed; drywall tomorrow. Will have another job running concurrently--also a basement theater job starting May 1. That and all the in between jobs is keeping us busy.

    Congrats on the addition to the family. It does complicate things, but, yes, in a nice way.
    JAD,
    It was right around 6PM at Spotsylvania (it'd probably take a tiny bit of research to see how far to adjust off of Daylight Savings Time since they didn't use it back then, but more importantly would be the specific day and angle of the earth relative to the sun): Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park - Virtual Tour Stop, Upton's Road (U.S. National Park Service).

    Sounds like your work is going well. I'd sign up for a tech account at Cables to Go so you can get large discounts on all your A/V materials. I was hoping to go to rough-in on Friday, but I always seem to just barely slip each day in terms of how much I get done so it'll be Monday now I'm pretty sure. At least that means that next Wed/Thurs I'll have drywall back up again and my bedroom won't swing between 60 degrees and 85 degrees with the weather! I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post
    JAD,
    It was right around 6PM at Spotsylvania (it'd probably take a tiny bit of research to see how far to adjust off of Daylight Savings Time since they didn't use it back then, but more importantly would be the specific day and angle of the earth relative to the sun): Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park - Virtual Tour Stop, Upton's Road (U.S. National Park Service).

    Sounds like your work is going well. I'd sign up for a tech account at Cables to Go so you can get large discounts on all your A/V materials. I was hoping to go to rough-in on Friday, but I always seem to just barely slip each day in terms of how much I get done so it'll be Monday now I'm pretty sure. At least that means that next Wed/Thurs I'll have drywall back up again and my bedroom won't swing between 60 degrees and 85 degrees with the weather! I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.
    Shek

    1. Congrats on the new addition. I guess you just don't like sleep! And I guess the big screen in the man cave will be rocking Dora the Explorer more than naything!

    2. Wright's aide, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., timed the start of Upton's assault as 6:35 PM local. There are numerous reports that it was almost at sundown. Heaby smoke in the area from Union artillery fire coupled with Confederate defenses facing NW into the setting sun may have had an impact on the outcome. My research shows it was more just a good tactic well done.

    Gordon Rhea covers it well in his The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Staff Emeritus Julie's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 03
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    10,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Shek View Post
    I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.
    You keep them in the basement ???

  9. #9
    In Memoriam Military Professional dave lukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jan 07
    Location
    cheshire uk
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    You keep them in the basement ???
    Wives and children of Majors have to be tough. No doubt you softies have 'fresh air' every day

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,960
    I was out driving this evening and looked to the NW at 7:26 PM EDT.

    There was a farm field about 300 yards across to a woodline....exactly like standing in Doles Salient.


    It was like looking into a searchlight.

    Good call Shek!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    01 Mar 08
    Posts
    151
    I think I'll visit Wilson's creek in Springfield, MO around August 10th in observance.

  12. #12
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    I was out driving this evening and looked to the NW at 7:26 PM EDT.

    There was a farm field about 300 yards across to a woodline....exactly like standing in Doles Salient.


    It was like looking into a searchlight.

    Good call Shek!
    I'd agree with your earlier post that potential favorable light conditions was not the sole reason for success, but standing at the jump off point back in Oct about two hours before sunset, I couldn't help but wonder what impact it had. It'd be interesting to get a hold of some primary source accounts describing the attack to see what the defenders had to say about the sunset and its impact on the assault.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  13. #13
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional Shek's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Feb 05
    Location
    Krblachistan
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    You keep them in the basement ???
    With four girls plus my wife, the king of the house has to keep the women in check!

    Either that or my wife isn't too keen on the bedroom temp ranging from 60-85 degrees depending on the weather and doesn't like the sawdust either
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

  14. #14

    Military Professional
    Military Professional S2's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 06
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    10,829

    Access

    I envy the access you guys have to some tremendous revolutionary and civil war battlefields. Simply invaluable to not only be able to go there easily but to return again and again.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Global Warming...Fact or Fiction?
    By omon in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 3810
    Last Post: 11 Mar 20,, 19:55
  2. Lies about the USSR
    By agent09 in forum Europe and Russia
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06 Jun 08,, 15:55
  3. 19 years ago today, Avenue of Eternal Peace
    By Shipwreck in forum International Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06 Jun 08,, 03:21
  4. Memories of Iwo Jima - 61 years ago
    By vaughn in forum The Field Mess
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12 Sep 06,, 21:13

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •