Question about Arizona Crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the artifact. I don't think it's necessary to include some old guy holding it.
    Don't worry, we're not asking you to volunteer
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Don't worry, we're not asking you to volunteer
      Hope your new washer leaks

Comment

Hope your new washer leaks
        No something else did (again) when I used it. Ah the joys of homeownership.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          No something else did (again) when I used it. Ah the joys of homeownership.
          Covered by homeowner's warranty? Lots of DIY videos on YouTube.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the artifact. I don't think it's necessary to include some old guy holding it.
            Ah, but I'm a fine looking wee beastie; even if rode hard and put away wet (my parents were from Montana so cowboy-speak was kind of de rigueur in my home growing up)!

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
              Ah, but I'm a fine looking wee beastie; even if rode hard and put away wet (my parents were from Montana so cowboy-speak was kind of de rigueur in my home growing up)!
              Ok. It's just that the only thing I remember so far is an old guy with white hair and white beard, much like the other old guy on the Naval Board.

I remember reading an article that said the Arizona souvernirs came off the superstructure that was removed and stored on some hillside. About that time a small piece became available on ebay for $10k. The seller wrote that his son was a Boy Scout and each scout was presented with a small souvernir from the ship.
              Last edited by Ytlas; 20 Jun 13,, 17:49.

Comment

Ok. It's just that the only thing I remember so far is an old guy with white hair and white beard, much like the other old guy on the Naval Board.

I remember reading an article that said the Arizona souvernirs came off the superstructure that was removed and stored on some hillside. About that time a small piece became available on ebay for $10k. The seller wrote that his son was a Boy Scout and each scout was presented with a small souvernir from the ship.
                The pieces come from the Potato Locker. It wasn't armored like the rest of the ship, and it was in fact part of the topside superstructure where potatoes and dry goods were stored in relatively fresh air. As I understand it, there are two versions of how it came to reside more or less abreast the Memorial on Ford Island. One is that it was cut off when the upper works were removed to make it less of a hazard to navigation. The more colorful one is that it was actually blown off during the cataclysmic explosion that more or less caused the forward third of the ship to disintegrate. When I used to teach AP US History and I would take the students through the events leading up to and including the attack, I would show Google Earth enlarged on the overhead and sort of zoom in on the memorial and ask, "What's wrong with this picture?" You wouldn't necessarily think so, but those kids are pretty bright and they'd see that even though 20 feet down or whatever it is, it is clear that something very, very bad happened to the forward part of "their" ship (I was teaching in the State of Arizona after all ).

Comment

Working...
                X