Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moscow Metro bomb blasts

BBC News - Moscow Metro hit by deadly suicide bombings

At least 36 people have been killed after two female suicide bombers blew themselves up on Moscow Metro trains in the morning rush hour, officials say.

Twenty-four died in the first blast at 0756 (0356 GMT) as a train stood at the central Lubyanka station, beneath the offices of the FSB intelligence agency.

About 40 minutes later, a second explosion ripped through a train at Park Kultury, leaving another 12 dead.

The FSB said it was likely a group from the North Caucasus was responsible.

The BBC's Richard Galpin in Moscow says no group has yet said it carried out the attacks, but past suicide bombings in the capital have been carried out by or blamed on Islamist rebels fighting for independence in Chechnya.
    In February, Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov said "the zone of military operations will be extended to the territory of Russia... the war is coming to their cities".

At an emergency meeting with senior officials, President Dmitry Medvedev vowed to uphold the "policy of suppressing terror and the fight against terrorism".

"We will continue operations against terrorists without compromises and to the end," he said.

Federal security forces have scored a series of successes against militants in the North Caucasus in recent weeks. In February, at least 20 insurgents were killed in an operation by troops in Ingushetia.

'Panic'

Emergency services ministry spokeswoman Irina Andrianova said the first explosion tore through the second carriage of a train as it stood at Lubyanka at the peak of the rush hour.
    The station, on both the busy Sokolnicheskaya and Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya lines, lies beneath the headquarters of the Federal Security Service (FSB).

"I was moving up on the escalator when I heard a loud bang, a blast. A door near the passage way arched, was ripped out and a cloud of dust came down on the escalator," an eyewitness named Alexei told Rossiya 24 TV channel.

"People started running, panicking, falling on each other," he said.

The second blast at Park Kultury, which is six stops away from Lubyanka on the Sokolnicheskaya line, came at 0838 (0438 GMT). It struck at the back of the train as people were getting on board.

"I was in the middle of the train when somewhere in the first or second carriage there was a loud blast. I felt the vibrations reverberate through my body," one passenger told the RIA news agency.

"People were yelling like hell," he said. "There was a lot of smoke and within about two minutes everything was covered in smoke."

More than 70 people were injured in the two attacks, officials said.

In a meeting with President Medvedev, FSB chief Alexander Bortnikov said its investigators believed the attacks had been carried out by "terrorist groups related to the North Caucasus".

Moscow Metro bomb blasts

Twin explosions hits Moscow subway: report

Two explosions. 25+ dead.

Comment

RIP

Is it the chechens again?
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

38 dead now. More than 100 wounded.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TopHatter; 29 Mar 10,, 16:51. Reason: Graphic picture deleted
        We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

None of my friends or relatives or acquaintances were there luckily.
            Attached Files

Comment

RIP the innocent victims.Any new info released?The MO doesn't resemble the Chechens,but Al Qaeda.Of course that can change,or maybe it signals a closer relation between the two sides.And in the vicinity of Lubyanka.Many heads will roll,that's a certainty.
              Those who know don't speak
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I think no big heads will roll. Explosions in subway pose no threat to officials. Minor transfers will occure. Beslan and Dubrovka made little to no changes in russian domestic policy, I see no clues for something meaningful to happen after today.

Comment

Islamist Chechen scumbags "Caucasus Emirate" who want to spread their Jihad and sharia law have claimed responsibility.............Rest in Peace to the innocent victims and speedy recovery for the wounded.

The death toll might increase, a lot of severely wounded people. It is 38 now.
                  Wolf Hunter

Comment

My thoughts and prayers with the dead and their families...a genuinely henous crime.
                    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

RIP to the innocent victims... News sources are saying it was done by female suicide bombers.. I hope the Russians get to the source of this group and publicly hang the bastards..
                      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

RIP to these innocent victims..another example,if not enough where given,that the vermin who can plan something like this deserves no mercy..

Comment

God Bless.

Comment

RIP for the victims, friends and family

Damn the perps to hell
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

RIP God bless.How do you even think of doing it. Why innocents what do they get? They should be stoned publicly
                              It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Working...
                              X