No announcement yet.

Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!

It's the latest tidbit on India's $12-billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition that's doing the rounds (and it was first reported by The Hindu on Tuesday). Four of the contenders that underwent cold-weather evaluation trials at Leh didn't meet performance requirements.

could you post a link to the article please

Comment

Didnt find any link as such but the news is on livefist too.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Four MMRCA Contenders Fail Leh Trials!

Comment

Decision any day now.....ROFL.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

So which aircraft do you pros think passed?

I would guess the Gripen and the Superbug
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Any ideas as to which ones?

With the exception of the Typhoon and the Rafale, most seem to have operated or have had roughly similar immediate ancestors (like the legacy CF-18) operate in fairly cold weather.
            USNA 2014?

Comment

Dont know why the Ministry of Defence is planning to send all of those billion dollars out of Indian reserves, PRC is too big to bother with. Pakistan is planning to use nuclear weapons as soon as they feel threatened, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri-lanka, and Myanmar can barely afford to fund their military forces with out grants, discounts and barter exchange. The government has a declared policy of joining international missions only when the UN is involved and the UN fights no air battles.

Might be wiser to make some new roads and airports with the money.

Its already delayed and will drag on till 2015 by that time all the Mig-21s would have retired due to various reasons(hopefully none crashing), the size of the AF would be around 25-30 squadrons, i say good enough for the tasks required.
              Originally posted by Kilo 2-3 View Post
              Any ideas as to which ones?

With the exception of the Typhoon and the Rafale, most seem to have operated or have had roughly similar immediate ancestors (like the legacy CF-18) operate in fairly cold weather.
              Really does not matter which plane passes the test, the government has all the tools to ignore all the data and buy which ever one they are comfortable with, so the plane that passes the tests will be the one that is given the contract.

Leh is not only a cold place, its also very high, Mig-29s have operated from the airbase (don't know with what sort of payload), so has the Tejas, with two drop tanks (could have been empty) and two mockup missiles.
              Last edited by kuku; 27 Mar 10,, 19:20.

Comment

My guess:
                Gripen - avionics, payload
                F-16 - payload
                EF - Payload, range, cost
                Mig-35 - Payload, range

But that is just my uneducated, uninformed guess. No credibility

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                Dont know why the Ministry of Defence is planning to send all of those billion dollars out of Indian reserves, PRC is too big to bother with.
                I think the current fleet of Su-30MKIs can more than give the PLAAF a run for its money

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
                  My guess:
                  Gripen - avionics, payload
                  F-16 - payload
                  EF - Payload, range, cost
                  Mig-35 - Payload, range

But that is just my uneducated, uninformed guess. No credibility

I think the current fleet of Su-30MKIs can more than give the PLAAF a run for its money
                  With some 100 planes (even with 250)? I doubt it, MMRCA with its limited 125 numbers dont seem enough.

Even if they match the number of PRC planes, what is the point, there is no gain any nation has from a war, all the major PRC cities are tooo far away, and India buys some 50 to 60 billion dollars worth of PRC goods annually (if i remember correctly).

Comment

there is no gain any nation has from a war
                    That is true for just about any nation, and yet they still build a defense to nearby unfriendly nations.

100 aircrafts goes a long way if you are defending. Your logistics would be superb, and can keep most of that up in the air most of the time.

While the PLAAF would be significantly hindered if they even try to reach this far. Only a small fraction would actually be up in the air at a time.

Comment

That is true for just about any nation, and yet they still build a defense to nearby unfriendly nations.

100 aircrafts goes a long way if you are defending. Your logistics would be superb, and can keep most of that up in the air most of the time.

While the PLAAF would be significantly hindered if they even try to reach this far. Only a small fraction would actually be up in the air at a time.
                      Yes, but i think with this MMRCA, we are over doing it.

100 aircrafts/5 squadrons, can only be so many places at a single time, the Su-30MKI platform is cheaper than any of the MMRCA contenders, its already being produced locally, might be better to fit it with more modern avionics something like the latest F-15s, and induct it in larger numbers, being a multi role platform it can perform in many roles. I doubt any of the MMRCA planes would be so cheap to operate as to justify the creation of a entire logistics and training set up.

Comment

Yes, but i think with this MMRCA, we are over doing it.

100 aircrafts/5 squadrons, can only be so many places at a single time, the Su-30MKI platform is cheaper than any of the MMRCA contenders, its already being produced locally, might be better to fit it with more modern avionics something like the latest F-15s, and induct it in larger numbers, being a multi role platform it can perform in many roles. I doubt any of the MMRCA planes would be so cheap to operate as to justify the creation of a entire logistics and training set up.
                        Very true, although if you upgrade the avionics of the MKI, its cost would rival that of the MMRCA contenders ;)

Comment

Very true, although if you upgrade the avionics of the MKI, its cost would rival that of the MMRCA contenders ;)
                          The MKI already rivals the cost of the MMRCA. The latest batch of 42 MKI sold during the Putin visit cost about 75 million dollars each.

The old cheap rate was got during the difficult times of Russia in the 90's when they were desperate for orders.

Comment

Originally posted by calass View Post
                            The MKI already rivals the cost of the MMRCA. The latest batch of 42 MKI sold during the Putin visit cost about 75 million dollars each.

The old cheap rate was got during the difficult times of Russia in the 90's when they were desperate for orders.
                            Y'ouch! I'd love to get a quote on that though!
                            Im changing my guess after actually reading the article in detail
                            75 million, I wonder why only a few countries have had interest in F-15s...

Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, and Super Hornet. I'm pretty sure these are the planes that operates in fairly warm, fairly low altitude environments.

Comment

Y'ouch! I'd love to get a quote on that though!
                              Im changing my guess after actually reading the article in detail
                              75 million, I wonder why only a few countries have had interest in F-15s...
                              I was wondering that about the F-15 myself; it's a PROVEN battle-winning airframe with room for expansion. It may not be very stealthy, but it's almost as maneuverable as many 4.5-gen airframes; and the latest iteration, the F-15SE, is somewhat stealthy, especially compared to other 4th-gen fighters. Why not purchase a proven battle-system with years of experience behind it, instead of a brand-new untried system that probably still has a few bugs to be worked out? The one downside is the price, which is estimated at around $100 million; but you get a lot of aircraft for that $100 million.
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                              X