No announcement yet.

The question about South Dakota class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The South Dakota class battleships had an INternal armor belt, the Iowa's were actually a follow on to that design. the reason for the indentation along the mid third of her hull was the access for the tanks outboard of the armor belt through the numerous bolted plate accesses. These are there for access into the outer voids and fuel tanks.

*A follow on yes, but slightly altered in several ways including plate thickness. Yep, in order to access the void spaces got to have the bolted access plates taken off and ventilated thoroughly before access.

The scheme for the Alabama as compared to the Iowas look completely different on the outside because the South Dakotas "indentation". In the original posted question, this is where the top of the armor belt meets the armored deck it is 5.3" of STS horizontal plate in this area. The hull plating is of 20# STS up to the "indentation" from the bottom of the hull upwards. At the maximum thickness of the armor belt, the hull is covered in 50# STS And more then likely 20# STS plate above that to the main deck. At the turn of the hull and bottom plating for the South Dakotas was 25# HTS throughout protecting the bottom of the hull.

For the Iowas there is not an indentation and the plate thickness is thicker in this area being 60#STS plating on the hull where the armor belt is at its maximum thickness. In this area the Iowas are 5.8" STS horizontal plating. The area of the indentation (on the South Dakotas) is covered on the Iowas by 25#STS in this area up to the main deck and below the 60# STS protecting the upper belt/deck adjoining areas. Both classes meet 60#STS at deck level. The plating on the hull is different then South Dakotas. The Iowas have 30#HTS at the turn of the hull until the main outter bulkhead. In this area the plating is 45# HTS covering where the bulkhead adjoins the hull. From there on she is 35# HTS to skinn the hull.

Many state they are the same protection wise, but when examined they have several differences in plating thickness on the bulkheads and the bottom hull plating itself. The Iowas were much heavier built in these areas and thus would contain more damage then the South Dakota's.

Same theory,Yes. Thickness in protection, No. The Iowas were more heavier protected as one would figure being the newer design.

To give an example of how close the design was, but with different adjustments the designer of the South Dakota class ships was Capt.A J Chantry. He was responsible for the North Carolinia's, South Dakota's and the Iowa's. One could only guess he would have had a hand in the Montana class as well if it proceded to build.

*Rusty may know of changes in the plating thicknesses. The numbers I have given were original to her build design if my info is correct.

I hope this sounds correct as I know I have made simple errors on many posts. Hindsight being what it is and all.;)
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 19 Apr 10,, 04:50.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post

The Pier / walkway is actually a walkway on the top of the cofferdam that was built around the ship so that they could drain the water from around her and do work to the hull.

Here is a pic, from a few years back, of it drained. Doing a little hull maint.

Originally posted by Dreadnought
      *Excellent, this means someone was thinking when the configured her mooring site!
      Not exactly. It wasn't put in until 2002. But better late than never.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Gun Grape; 19 Apr 10,, 04:33.

Comment

Working...
      X