No announcement yet.

Does America have enough security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll note that even though Mexico was defeated in the war and basically forced to give up large amounts of land to the United States (which the losers to have to do in war), the United States also paid Mexico the sum of $627 million (in today's dollars).
    I can't say what the land was valued at back then, but you generally don't see a victor laying out cash on the barrel for land that they've taken by force of arms.
    Well Top Hatter, I was reading US Grants excellent memoirs, he has a lot to say about the politics surrounding the Mexican War, none of it nice. It was he said little more than an oppurtunistic land grab in the traditions of the European Powers, or words to the effect. He also blamed the war for causing the civil war.

But, I have little problem with the concept of winner takes all. Always been the case.

I too could careless less who people sleep with
    That depends. Normally I could care less about a persons sexuality (i feel sorry for them). But, when they start making out in front of my cousin (opr in public at all), its then when we requisition those stirrup beds found in maternity wards, a bottle of chloroform and a pair of Garden shears.
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
      But, I have little problem with the concept of winner takes all. Always been the case.
      Yeah, precisely the point I was trying to make to Snagglepuss.

But as Leader pointed out, you have to understand the historical backdrop first.

Speaking of Snaggle, I wonder if he looked up the Gadsden Purchase? :)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

But, I have little problem with the concept of winner takes all.
        I want to make sure I understand - You think the "Winner Takes All" plan is wrong - a bad idea?

That depends. Normally I could care less about a persons sexuality (i feel sorry for them). But, when they start making out in front of my cousin (opr in public at all), its then when we requisition those stirrup beds found in maternity wards, a bottle of chloroform and a pair of Garden shears.
        I don't really want to see anyone making out in public....If I wanted to see that, I'd visit the curtained area @ the video store. I am not too big on excessive PDA.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
          I think what gay couples want, in addition to recognition of their relationship, is also the legal benefits that come from marriage.
          Fine with me.

Comment

I want to make sure I understand - You think the "Winner Takes All" plan is wrong - a bad idea?
            No I think its perfectly okay.
            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

No I think its perfectly okay.
              Thank goodness. I do agree. I am all for survival of the fittest. I think it only makes people stronger if they have to work to stay on top.
              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
              X