How many battleships were built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USS Wisconsin

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your "paper". As an avid reader of series like Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander, my appetite for Naval history and life has grown over the years. It's always good to get a fix.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

American Battleships

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      For a nicely done thumbnail history of American Battleships, try to find a copy of Max R. Newhart's book titled "American Battleships". Also try to get the 9th edition that included some contributions I made to it.

You may be able to find it on one of the book selling web sites.
      This is a great book, I really like it, thank you for contributing to it. :)
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Black Prince View Post
        I would go with starting around 1870 after the loss of the 'masted' turret ship HMS Captain . A proper definition of a battleship post 1870 in my mind should be . Ocean going without sails above 6500 tons (that disposes of tricky definitions for monitors and ironclads) with belt or citadel armour . Guns mounted in armoured barbettes or turrets of a caliber not less than 10" with belt armour not less than 6".Stick to these basic criteria and you wont go wrong . I think HMS Devastation 1873 would be a very good starting point for a history of what we would visualise as being the start of the modern battleship era.
        Thank you, I agree that heavy gun turrets or barbettes were part of what a battleship was, and sails were not part of a battleship in this context. I think the weight limit, while it included ships like USS Maine ACR-1 and Texas (1895) also brings in coastal defense ships, which I haven't been counting. Perhaps 9,000 is better, with a proto-battleship type for some late 19th century developmental or export types.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
          Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your "paper". As an avid reader of series like Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander, my appetite for Naval history and life has grown over the years. It's always good to get a fix.
          Thank you, I am glad we share this love for naval history.

Comment

TOC and USN battleships

Here is the table of contents for what I am working on.

Comment

Modern battleship

Here is the part that comes after the prelude section

Comment

Spanish Battleships

I have completed the chapter on Spanish battleships (the shortest one at 5 pages), and wanted to share it. I also have a USN and UK section which are pretty complete, but I haven't been able to upload them, perhaps they are too large.

This is the format I am considering, what do you think?

Comment

introduction to the battleship

I have an Indroduction to my battleship book, I hope to get some comments and insights into what I have at this point, someday it will be a book if I can ever finish it.

Thank you all for you kind assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                    Here is the part that comes after the prelude section
                    *A very good read. Im impressed.:)

One addition though, In the 1980's reactivation, she (New Jersey) also carried about 5 shoulder mount Stinger SA missles to deal with fast moving aircraft that her 5"/38's could not keep up with from what I understand. It is little known if any of the other sisters carried them at this time but New Jersey supposedly did indeed carry them although it is not well known.;)
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Apr 10,, 04:34.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

One addition though, In the 1980's reactivation, she (New Jersey) also carried about 5 shoulder mount Stinger SA missles to deal with fast moving aircraft that her 5"/38's could not keep up with from what I understand. It is little known if any of the other sisters carried them at this time but New Jersey supposedly did indeed carry them although it is not well known.;)
                      Thank you :) I was not aware of the Stingers, I will be sure to mention that. It reminds of the ancient times when warships relied on the hand held weapons of their crew. :))

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

They were not part of ships company. The Stinger teams were part of the East Coast Stinger Gunnery Detachment. Part of the Beachmaster Unit from Little Creek. Ships requested them, vice missiles being assigned to individual ships.
                        Last edited by Gun Grape; 22 Apr 10,, 05:13.

Comment

Now, really how effective would a little short ranged heat seeker Stinger Missile be in defense of a capital ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            They were not part of ships company. The Stinger teams were part of the East Coast Stinger Gunnery Detachment. Part of the Beachmaster Unit from Little Creak. Ships requested them, vice missiles being assigned to individual ships.
                            Were they part of the Marine Detachment onboard the ships, or were they organic? You say Little Creek, so that sounds like SEAL Team 2, 4, 8 or 10 (though 10 is more oriented towards land ops). I'm guessing SEAL Team 2.
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                              Now, really how effective would a little short ranged heat seeker Stinger Missile be in defense of a capital ship?
                              Actually, fairly effective; they probably wouldn't be able to do anything against a first strike, since the enemy launch platforms will probably be using stand-off weapons, but they could probably deter, and maybe even prevent, a second strike from the same platforms. So-called capital ships can actually take quite a bit of damage and, since the Stingers are independent of the ships organic active defenses, they could still operate after a crippling first strike; the CIC and the CIWS might be out of action, but the Stingers will still work.
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                They were not part of ships company. The Stinger teams were part of the East Coast Stinger Gunnery Detachment. Part of the Beachmaster Unit from Little Creak. Ships requested them, vice missiles being assigned to individual ships.
                                *Much thanks gunny, You spent some good days.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X