No announcement yet.

StarCraft II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never really played multiplayer due to the internet connection.
    I loved Protoss for their carriers - loved watching them swarm over those zerglings.
    Arbiters(who moved entire armies across the map in a nanosecond)
    Dark Templars- Their stealthiness made them ideal for offence and defence.

One of my favourite tactics vs AI(Terrain) was to convert one of their SCVs using those Red Arcons, and create a parallel Terrain army. :))
    " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

:))
      Originally posted by sohamsri View Post
      I never really played multiplayer due to the internet connection.
      I loved Protoss for their carriers - loved watching them swarm over those zerglings.
      Arbiters(who moved entire armies across the map in a nanosecond)
      Dark Templars- Their stealthiness made them ideal for offence and defence.

One of my favourite tactics vs AI(Terrain) was to convert one of their SCVs using those Red Arcons, and create a parallel Terrain army. :))

in a multiplayer game you would be schocked when you see my marines+medics eats your carriers :)

a swarm of marines backed by medics is a nightmare for carriers..surprising isnt it? :))
      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
        :))

in a multiplayer game you would be schocked when you see my marines+medics eats your carriers :)

a swarm of marines backed by medics is a nightmare for carriers..surprising isnt it? :))
        And a competent protoss commander would have murdered your M&Ms with psionic storms.

Comment

O'well, thats why they say "Gameplay might drastically change in multiplayer", don't they ? :))

The worst things that happened to my carriers were Ghosts disabling them and leaving them to the mercy of the rest of the army.
          " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

OK, so I finally had a chance to test more of the terrans. My nephew got a key and we played 2v2 against computers. I thought playing against AI was disabled, but it wasn't. It was the single player's campaign that was disabled.

Anyhow, here's my brief review of the terrans.

Units held over:

1. Marines - can't live without them
            2. Siege tank - pretty much the same
            3. Vulture - name is changed (forgot the new name), instead of grenades, it has flame thrower, no land-mines, just as fast and vulnerable
            4. Ghost - it was there, didn't have a chance to use it yet
            5. Cruiser - same ol' Yamato cannon here...move along...move along

Units modified:

1. Medic - instead of nurses, they are now produced from Starport, under the name "Medivac"
            2. Firebat - renamed to Marauders and instead of flamethrowers, they have grenades that slows down the targets
            3. Wraith - forgot the new name, but same cloaking and air-to-air abilities

New untis:

1. Thor - it's like a walking cruiser, powerful regular weapons against ground and air targets, with a special quad-barrel assault cannon against ground targets.
            2. Viking - build from Starport, a transformer that goes from an air unit to a ground assault mech
            3. (assault troop with jet pack) - forgot the name, builds from barracks, I think these are lighter than marines but can jump up and down cliffs
            4. (aerial support) - forgot the name, builds from Starport, these guys drop anti-ground or anti-air turrets that have a time limit

There is a cargo ship, but I didn't get to use it.

The detector ability is moved to one of the new air units.

Command center can now be upgrade with a giant turret with cannons to defend itself, but loses its mobility.

Bunkers can be upgraded to hold 6 guys (from standard 4).

Marines can be upgraded to hold a shield (+10 armor) in addition to the regular armor plating upgrade.

I haven't tried the nukes yet.

Gas mines no longer produce minimal gas after they're exhausted. They're just...dead...

I didn't have much time to test everything last night. I will do more in the next few days. Let me know if there's anything in particular you guys want to know and I'll see what I can find out. My nephew and I will try different factions and different upgrade paths as well. Too bad the AI is restricted to "super easy" setting so we can't have a good long war.
            Last edited by gunnut; 05 Apr 10,, 20:10.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sir,

How's Zerg ? Last I heard, they have some new suicide units which swell with green slime and run straight into their targets. Supposed to be very good against Marines and other basic infantry.
              " THe SiLEnt KNighT.

Comment

Sir,

How's Zerg ? Last I heard, they have some new suicide units which swell with green slime and run straight into their targets. Supposed to be very good against Marines and other basic infantry.

Those are banelings, an "upgraded" version of the zergling. I haven't really used them much, but I presume they serve the same purpose as infested terrans did in SC1.

Whenever I play zerg (not often), I usually go with a Roach/Hydra combo w/ support special units. I'm not huge into air.

Originally posted by Big K
                in a multiplayer game you would be schocked when you see my marines+medics eats your carriers

a swarm of marines backed by medics is a nightmare for carriers..surprising isnt it?
                Or you could make it even more embarrassing for the protoss player who went for carriers by using medic/wraith combo or ghost/wraith combo.

Comment

Sir,

Zerg is still weird to play, since I haven't played zerg in a long time.

As ace16807 said, zerglings now can evolve into banelings, which are suicide units that do splash damage. Banelings have their own upgrades too, which is from a different structure than Spawning Pool and Evolution Chamber.

Here's a quick run down of the zergs from what I remember:

Units held over:

1. Zergling - wouldn't be zergs without zerging with zerglings.
                  2. Hydralisk - pretty much the same
                  3. Ultralisk - even bigger and more terrifying
                  4. Mutalisk - it's there, but I didn't get to use it

Units modified:

1. Overlord - still a blimp with detectors, still the same upgrades that grant faster movement and cargo capacity, but now can "dump" "zerg creep" over an area to facilitate faster movement by ground units (ground zergs move faster on creep); upgradable to Overseer, which I haven't found out exact what it does
                  2. Banelings - I guess this replaces infested terrans. The nice thing is now you do not have to infect a Command Center to crank out suicide bombers.
                  3. Queen - Now called Brood Queen (I think). She does not come from a larva but is built by the Hatchery. I did not have a chance to use this unit extensively to test the abilities.

New Units:
                  1. Roach - I did not have a chance to use this unit before my nephew moved in with his Protoss Mothership and annihilated the terrans.

I will update this in the near future. Need to fire up a few more games to test more units.

Comment

ahhh Zergs were my second favourite.

what about the defiler & dark swarm??

a combo that includes 1-2 defilers 1-2 ultralisk & some other hyrdalisk & zerglings dropped right in the middle of enemys mining area was decisive even if the enemy could repel it.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
                      ahhh Zergs were my second favourite.

what about the defiler & dark swarm??

a combo that includes 1-2 defilers 1-2 ultralisk & some other hyrdalisk & zerglings dropped right in the middle of enemys mining area was decisive even if the enemy could repel it.
                      The defiler is no longer around. I think the corruptor and the infestor take over its role. I haven't had a chance to try those less common units yet.

Here's what I found out last night:

The creep colonies no longer generate creep. This function has been taken over by the overlords. The good thing is the overlords are mobile, so you can place creep anywhere you want. The bad thing is they can be easily destroyed.

The spore colony and the spike(?) colony are now mobile. You can tell them to get up and walk over to a new place to deploy. They are very slow when they walk. They are directly morphed from a drone, since there's no more creep colony.

Guardians are now called Brood Lords and are no longer morphed from mutalisks. They are morphed from that other flying unit (forgot the name). Brood Lords no longer launch bombs. They launch Broodlings that walk around and attack things. They have a short timer and will disappear. The good thing is you can launch a bunch of these Broodlings (if you have a lot of Brood Lords) and run away. They will still be around to do their job. The bad thing is the range doesn't seem to be as long as the old Guardian bombs.

Roaches have been nerfed. Armor value is cut from 2 to 1. Movement rate while burrowed is reduced.

Ultralisks can burrow now.

I will try to find out more about Infestors and Corruptors, along with the new Nydus canal soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        The defiler is no longer around. I think the corruptor and the infestor take over its role. I haven't had a chance to try those less common units yet.

Here's what I found out last night:

The creep colonies no longer generate creep. This function has been taken over by the overlords. The good thing is the overlords are mobile, so you can place creep anywhere you want. The bad thing is they can be easily destroyed.

The spore colony and the spike(?) colony are now mobile. You can tell them to get up and walk over to a new place to deploy. They are very slow when they walk. They are directly morphed from a drone, since there's no more creep colony.

Guardians are now called Brood Lords and are no longer morphed from mutalisks. They are morphed from that other flying unit (forgot the name). Brood Lords no longer launch bombs. They launch Broodlings that walk around and attack things. They have a short timer and will disappear. The good thing is you can launch a bunch of these Broodlings (if you have a lot of Brood Lords) and run away. They will still be around to do their job. The bad thing is the range doesn't seem to be as long as the old Guardian bombs.

Roaches have been nerfed. Armor value is cut from 2 to 1. Movement rate while burrowed is reduced.

Ultralisks can burrow now.

I will try to find out more about Infestors and Corruptors, along with the new Nydus canal soon.
                        I haven't played lately as I am fixing the computer I play it on. Do you recall if other units have separate building attacks (iirc the ultra had a different attack value for buildings.) Other units must have this as well, no?

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                          I haven't played lately as I am fixing the computer I play it on. Do you recall if other units have separate building attacks (iirc the ultra had a different attack value for buildings.) Other units must have this as well, no?
                          Nope, it appears the ultralisk is the only zerg unit that has a separate attack value against buildings.

I tested the other less common units last night as well. In my opinion, most of them are below par value. Against human players, they require too much micro management of their special abilities. It's much better to just "zerg" your opponents with massive numbers and zero special abilities.

1. Brood Queen - I guess this replaces the original queen. It's now directly built by the Lair. What's interesting about this unit is the healing ability. It can heal both units and buildings. This gives the zerg a Medic and an SCV. Another cool ability for the Queen is the Creep Tumor. This replaces the old Creep Colony that generates the creep. Each Creep Tumor can create another create tumor (timer ability). So zergs can effectively cover the entire map.

2. Overseer - Evolved from Overlord. This unit loses the cargo ability but gains the ability to create Changelings. Changelings are formless creatures dropped by the Overseer, and will change into either a Marine, a Zergling, or a Zealot, depending on the first faction they meet. They will mimic the color of that faction as well. These units cannot attack. I don't see the point unless this may be used against human opponents as a recon unit.

3. Infestor - This unit can extend a long tentacle that takes over the control of a single ground biological unit. The Infestor cannot move or do anything else while controlling another unit. The Infestor will lose control if the unit walks too far. Far is "most" of the viewable screen with the Infestor at the center. Infestor takes over the Defiler's job of spraying poisonous slime over an area. I don't think this slime is as powerful as the old one.

4. Nydus Network - This is the replacement of the old Nydus Canal. It's way more powerful because it can show up anywhere on the map that you have visual contact with. You can dump a boat load of Ultralisks right next to your opponent's base if you can see it. It does take a few seconds to complete the spawn. And I'm not sure what happens if the enemy destroys the spawn before it's completed. Maybe all the units contained inside are destroyed as well. This is like the giant sandworm from Dune, transporting units underground.

Comment

very interesting insights Gunnut, thanks a lot, looking forward for more :D

Comment

I just found out Star Craft 2 will not have LAN support. Everything has to be done over the internet.

Comment

this wil diminish its success among internet house players which i think are the real consumers...

Comment

Working...
                                X