F-22's upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-22's upgrades

Not sure how accurate this is, but looks pretty sweet.

Anyone know the eta, if there will be, for DAS to be onboard the raptor?

Re: F-22's upgrades

The only thing I have been able to see that is no longer in the upgrades is the "Block 40 -Advanced HMD." It was eliminated a couple years ago during the last upgrade because it was felt the HMDS was not needed! I disagree... to whom it may concern.

Comment

Originally posted by avon1944 View Post
      The only thing I have been able to see that is no longer in the upgrades is the "Block 40 -Advanced HMD." It was eliminated a couple years ago during the last upgrade because it was felt the HMDS was not needed! I disagree... to whom it may concern.
      :(

Whose Genius idea was THIS????

When all of the fighters nowadays are getting that, except for the most advanced fighter in the world???
      F-15s, F-16s, F-18s are all getting it but not the raptor?
      Is raptor some kind of a political taboo of some kind?

Comment

The F-22 is about the biggest political taboo in the country right now, except health care.

Comment

Was the Raptor originally slated to receive DAS? As it stands can it shoot high-off-boresight?

Comment

^^^F-22 isn't slated to get the version 3.2 tape until 2013, which will certify it for AIM120D and AIM-9x. It will be designated Block 35. I think only 83 frames are scheduled for this upgrade. :(

AIM-9x Block II will officially have LOAL and datalink, so it will be a 360 degree missile if the launch platform has 360 degree sensor and target tracking. That means both F-22 and F-35.

JHMCS not required. :)
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

F-22's Upgrades

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
              Whose Genius idea was THIS????
              Someone who in their infinite wisdom felt the F-22 had such a performance advantage, the "Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System" was not needed.
              To me, that position is very arrogant! It is stating that NO country will for a long time have a fighter anywhere near comparible to the F-22. Wasn't that the attitude on the atomic bomb, right after WW-2? That it was so complex the USSR would not have an atomic bomb for at least twenty years, it took the USSR five years!

When all of the fighters nowadays are getting that, except for the most advanced fighter in the world???
              F-15s, F-16s, F-18s are all getting it but not the raptor?
              What if, for some very unusual reason, the F-22 comes down from its high altitude 'perch' and fight like normal fighters with guns and Sidewinders. In that situation not having HMDS 'could' be a real liability.

The best explanation I have read on why the F-22A's production was terminated is on Wikipedia! URL;
              "Reasons For Termination of The F-22A" (down near the picture of the F-22's transonic shock wave, over the USS Stennis).
              F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

The best explanation I have read on why the F-22A's production was terminated is on Wikipedia! URL;
                "Reasons For Termination of The F-22A" (down near the picture of the F-22's transonic shock wave, over the USS Stennis).
                F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                He believes, most importantly, that fifth-generation fighters need to be proliferated to all three services, a need that could only be met by shifting more resources to producing the 10-years more advanced, multi-service and multirole F-35. He further noted that one of the highest issues of concern of the combatant commanders was the ability to conduct electronic warfare (EW). Currently, the U.S. armed forces share only a single airborne EW platform, the EA-6B Prowler, which is being retired and partially replaced with the EA-18G Growler
                Wait... hasn't the Navy and AF learned enough lessons that a "Uni-Platform" that works for all 3 branches would be really unsuitable for Either OR Both?

There was the F-111, X-47, etc.

F-35 is good, but leaving the poor raptor in the cold is just dumb. Especially the HMS technology is currently READY!

Comment

I'd rather see the JHMCS get incorporated into all the existing F-teen fleet first. Those jets are going to be with us for a while, and need the JHMCS/AIM-9x combo more urgently.

F-35 and F-22 can already cue the AIM-9x on targets any aspect with their existing capabilities i.e. DAS/ALR-94.

Sure, it'd be nice to have it everywhere, but apparently national defense is a luxury we can't afford these days. :(
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Re: F-22's Upgrades

Wait... hasn't the Navy and AF learned enough lessons that a "Uni-Platform" that works for all 3 branches would be really unsuitable for Either OR Both?

Everybody is hoping for the next F-4 Phantom 2!

Comment

Hello F-35, now available for purchase at a price rapidly approaching the "too expensive" F-22.

Comment

Ok, this is from a total amateur that probably knows less about this than anyone here but I've read somewhere that the JHMCS can not be incorporated into the Raptor because the LO capabilities of the cockpit glass will be degraded once sensors needed to make the JHMCS function properly is fitted into the cockpit glass?

Does this even make sense?

Comment

^^^ Hmmm. As far as I know the only sensors that JHMCS needs are mounted to the seat and to the helmet itself. I don't know of anything mounted around the cockpit or on the canopy.

Comment

If anything, it would have to do with cost ... technical solutions for such a thing are 'a dime a dozen' usually.

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                            Ok, this is from a total amateur that probably knows less about this than anyone here but I've read somewhere that the JHMCS can not be incorporated into the Raptor because the LO capabilities of the cockpit glass will be degraded once sensors needed to make the JHMCS function properly is fitted into the cockpit glass?

Does this even make sense?

Comment

F-35 is good, but leaving the poor raptor in the cold is just dumb. Especially the HMS technology is currently READY!
                              Then again they have the A-7 and F-4 to counter the F-111 argument;)

Comment

Working...
                              X