Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pearl Harbour Pics???

Hi guys.

Recently got an email claiming to have new photos of Pearl either during or just after the IJN raid. Apparently they come from an "old brownie camera" recently found.

Some of the photos I have never seen but others look familiar. Im not make any claims of their legitimacy though.

I dont really know how to post pics but if anybody wants me to email it to you I can manage that no worries.

Anybody else got this email? Is it fair dinkum?

Thanks

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
    Hi guys.

Recently got an email claiming to have new photos of Pearl either during or just after the IJN raid. Apparently they come from an "old brownie camera" recently found.

Some of the photos I have never seen but others look familiar. Im not make any claims of their legitimacy though.

I dont really know how to post pics but if anybody wants me to email it to you I can manage that no worries.

Anybody else got this email? Is it fair dinkum?

Thanks
    Negative, that was debunked by Snopes a good while back, not mention as you said, several of those photos should look familiar, as they've been in virtually every book that had anything to do with the attack.

snopes.com: Pearl Harbor

I'm rather proud to say that I contributed to their article :)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah, I've received that message about four times over the past decade.

Comment

LOL, that has been around hasn't it. Someone who knows I am into Navy ships emailed that to me from Australia no less. Naturally I recognized every single picture from long, long ago. I tried to tell him that not only was it bogus but the immediate clues were "old brownie camera" which couldn't take pictures of that quality and two, that photographer sure got around in a hurry in the middle of an all out attack...

Comment

Hi guys.

Well then, that's a bit boring then. Some nice pics though.

There is a photo of a ship in a floating drydock? What is the name of that ship? Ive heard it, I know it but just cant think of it... its driving me mad.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Boat View Post
            Hi guys.

Well then, that's a bit boring then. Some nice pics though.

There is a photo of a ship in a floating drydock? What is the name of that ship? Ive heard it, I know it but just cant think of it... its driving me mad.

Thanks.
            USS Shaw, DD-373, was in the floating dry dock.

The pictures from the link are of USS Pennsylvania(BB-38). USS Cason and Downs are the damaged ships in front of her. They were in Dry dock #1

Comment

Next to the Shaw is the USS Sotoyomo (YT-9) which shared her drydock during the attack. After the Shaw blew and sank the drydock the Sotoyomo went with it, having been turned to swiss cheese by shrapnel. She was eventually raised, repaired and served in Pearl through the end of the war.

3rd pic down on the right shows the capsized USS Oglala (CM-4) with the USS Helena (CL-51) ahead of her. The Ogala was sunk by a torp that didnt hit her, it passed beneath her hull and hit the Helena but the concussive force opened up her seams and she eventually capsized. The story of her salvage "solely to clear the dock" is second only to that of the USS Oklahoma - she sank 4 separate times and suffered a two day onboard fire before they got her floating again, and at that point she was deemed worthy of repair and ended the war as an Internal combustion repair ship.
              You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Working...
              X