Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominance displays

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional

Dominance displays

Geopolitical

Nature

Monty Python )
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Officer of Engineers
    I saw the Wagah ceremonies before ... and my knees hurt. However, I do want to ask the Indian members ... where the hell did that march came from? Certainly, not from any British Regiment.

Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    I saw the Wagah ceremonies before ... and my knees hurt. However, I do want to ask the Indian members ... where the hell did that march came from? Certainly, not from any British Regiment.
    It most certainly did not come from any British or Anglo-Indian traditions; it is a gross dramatization, almost a farce, of what was the standard marching style of the British and Indian army. The troopers are from Pakistani Rangers and Indian Border Security Force (BSF), kind of central police forces. It would be hilarious if one day one side got tired of it and instead came out with the standard 1000-mile stare routine like the Koreans. I would love to record what the other side does )

Officer of Engineers
    Cactus,

I want to ask do they choregraph this? The timing seems too good and the gestures too identicle if both sides did not practice together ... out of sight of the public of course

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Cactus,

I want to ask do they choregraph this? The timing seems too good and the gestures too identicle if both sides did not practice together ... out of sight of the public of course
    I was thinking the same thing...it was almost hard to tell that there was two different country's forces there, even with the differing uniforms etc.

Actually with all those ferocious scowls and over-the-top gestures and stomping around, the whole thing had kind of a...umm....never mind.

Senior Contributor Senior Contributor
    I want to ask do they choregraph this?
    Yes, I have read that it is coordinated between both sides.

You aint never seen the Blues n Royals Funny Mushroom troop on manouvers ))) jeez , talk about menacing dancers , warra parade

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Go look further down the options on You Tube and watch the Michael Palin bit on this ceremony. Better video, explains more and, of course, a Ministry of Silly Walks reference.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Liberté, Unité, Egalité Senior Contributor Tronic's Avatar

Wagah Border

Yes, the display is jointly co-ordinated, and it takes place everyday in the afternoon. Wagah is actually a village which got divided in half when Punjab was being partitioned in '47. Some of the villages in that area are quite a site though, they are divided by simply a fence. The fences are built a bit back, not exactly on the IB. So, the farmers there have to get the BSF to open up some fenced areas when they have to cultivate or work on their own farms; all the while the BSF guards stand by and watch until the farmers finish up their day, to lock up the fence again. There was a story a bit back, where two villages in Ferozepur district were accidentally left on the Pakistani side of the border when fencing of that area was still going on back in the '80s. When the farmers complained and pointed to the goof up, the government simply built another fence around them, locking up the entire village on both sides. ) And.... to this day, the poor folks are still sitting in the middle; neither fully Pakistan side, nor fully Indian side; they have leave their villages by showing identification papers and getting acknowledged by the village head and have to return back by 5pm, when the gates close.
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Quote Originally Posted by Tronic View Post
    Yes, the display is jointly co-ordinated, and it takes place everyday in the afternoon. Wagah is actually a village which got divided in half when Punjab was being partitioned in '47. Some of the villages in that area are quite a site though, they are divided by simply a fence. The fences are built a bit back, not exactly on the IB. So, the farmers there have to get the BSF to open up some fenced areas when they have to cultivate or work on their own farms; all the while the BSF guards stand by and watch until the farmers finish up their day, to lock up the fence again. There was a story a bit back, where two villages in Ferozepur district were accidentally left on the Pakistani side of the border when fencing of that area was still going on back in the '80s. When the farmers complained and pointed to the goof up, the government simply built another fence around them, locking up the entire village on both sides. ) And.... to this day, the poor folks are still sitting in the middle; neither fully Pakistan side, nor fully Indian side; they have leave their villages by showing identification papers and getting acknowledged by the village head and have to return back by 5pm, when the gates close.
    Thats sad , but who owns the produce , dya reckon war is imminent

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Border closing ceremony? The border actually closes? We'd be called racists if we ever close our border with Mexico.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Not to leave out the kiwis

Last edited by gunnut; 26 Feb 10, at 05:26.

Not just the Kiwis - the Tongans & Samoans have their own traditions that are just as scary (as the first vid shows). Imagine that these guys are armed with heavy 4ft long pointed hardwood fighting sticks & heavy jade clubs (not to mention firearms). These be SCARY folk (which is why so many are employed in Australia as nightclub bouncers).

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Not to leave out the kiwis

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    Not just the Kiwis - the Tongans & Samoans have their own traditions that are just as scary (as the first vid shows). Imagine that these guys are armed with heavy 4ft long pointed hardwood fighting sticks & heavy jade clubs (not to mention firearms). These be SCARY folk (which is why so many are employed in Australia as nightclub bouncers).
    Are these professional rugby clubs? Do all rugby clubs do this? How many clubs are there? Are they like teams in the NHL, spread across New Zealand and Australia and play each other for a common championship?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
    Are these professional rugby clubs? Do all rugby clubs do this? How many clubs are there? Are they like teams in the NHL, spread across New Zealand and Australia and play each other for a common championship?
    No, this is international Rugby. Given that it was NZ & Tonga in Australia it would be from a world cup. There is an international club comp in the Sth hemisphere with clubs from Australia, NZ & the RSA, but I'm pretty sure the haka is only used for international teams, not club games. There are actually many, many hakas about different things, but this particular one is a sort of 'warrior' haka that has been performed by the All Blacks for over 100 years. The other islanders (Tongan, Samoans etc) have their own distinctive 'warrior' chants. I'm not sure if they are called hakas (some of these cultures are melanesian & some are polynesian- like the Maori).

I'm sure Pari will wander in at some point & correct all of this.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Thread Information