No announcement yet.

New computer stats & Sound card questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muhahaha....I have it on my pc right now :)).
    I hope you bought the full Sins of a Solar empire trinity pack, it contains the original game plus the two micro expansions Entrenchment and Diplomacy (released in feb).
    Get all patches and upgrades before you play diplomacy it had some balancing issues early on.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Sound Card Question

And here we go again.... :)

OK so with the new computer coming, I'm trying to figure out if transferring my old sound card is worth it or not.

I'm fairly certain that the new tower won't have a sound card installed other than the default internal (I certainly didn't order anything special).

I have a Creative SB0460 that I recall being somewhat expensive (to me, that is) when I bought it a few years ago. But I have no idea if it's far outdated by the internal card or it'll smoke it clean it out of the water.

I'm inclined to believe that it's worth putting into the new tower.

Suggestions?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Depends on what came with your motherboard. This card is better than most onboard sound cards, but may only be equals to the best onboard sound card of high end motherboard.

You can always run 2 sound cards to compare. Disable one at a time to see which one sounds better.

I run 2 sound cards in my current computer. The higher end discreet card handles output while the lower quality onboard stuff handles the mic.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Depends on what came with your motherboard. This card is better than most onboard sound cards, but may only be equals to the best onboard sound card of high end motherboard.
          That's what I figure too. No way of knowing what kind of onboard card I have until it comes in though I guess.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            That's what I figure too. No way of knowing what kind of onboard card I have until it comes in though I guess.
            Newer onboard stuff is pretty good. The processing is done by the CPU anyways. And today's CPUs have an excess of processing power due to multi core design.

Also the X-Fi card you have might provide some output options not provided by your motherboard. If you run optical then it might be a good idea to use the X-Fi, if it has that option.

Comment

I have both Sins of Solar Empire and Supreme Commander. They both take way too long to play.

Left 4 Dead 2, Joe, get it and join me in some zombie blastin'.

Comment

I have both Sins of Solar Empire and Supreme Commander. They both take way too long to play.

Left 4 Dead 2, Joe, get it and join me in some zombie blastin'.
                No online gaming for me, sorry

I think I played exactly one game (Age Of Empires 2) online when I first got a cable modem years ago. It was...interesting.

I must say, the fun of playing against a human player is that you can make them sweat and get them rattled. The fun of playing against a computer is that while it'll fall for easy bluffs, it never gets rattled.

Comment

No online gaming for me, sorry

I think I played exactly one game (Age Of Empires 2) online when I first got a cable modem years ago. It was...interesting.

I must say, the fun of playing against a human player is that you can make them sweat and get them rattled. The fun of playing against a computer is that while it'll fall for easy bluffs, it never gets rattled.
                  We play L4D2 in co-op mode. It's great because zombies never get rattled.

Comment

We play L4D2 in co-op mode. It's great because zombies never get rattled.
                    No joystick (or game controller, if that's your thing )

I'm playing Civ IV right now in it's most dumbed down graphics settings, even lower than my old tower...Man oh man :(

Comment

No joystick (or game controller, if that's your thing )

I'm playing Civ IV right now in it's most dumbed down graphics settings, even lower than my old tower...Man oh man :(
                      Joystick? I haven't used a joystick since...the mid 1990s? Keyboard and mouse is the only way to play FPS.

I don't think Civ4 is on lowest setting for me, even though my video card is 3.5 years old.

Comment

My personal opinion is that a sound card is DEFINITELY second banana to a good graphics card; give me a good graphics card anytime! As far as I'm concerned, if the sound card works, use it!
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

It's finally here! This thing is a BEAUTY!

I'm doing some preliminary setup while I'm at work (I have a very understanding boss...and it's not too busy today) so I'm using an ancient 15" CRT lol Can't wait to get this thing home and see how it looks on my 22" widescreen LCD.

Comment

pics!

Attached Files
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I'll send some over later :)

Comment

Working...
                              X