The Mongol Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troung View Post
    It was true. They got used as a buffer state and the Ilkhanate rarely rode to the rescue during Mamluk raids. Their performance against the Mamluks was not impressive either. No real alliance like we would consider it today.

True, Greater Armenia and eventually lesser Armenia became a vassal state to Mongols but they were in good terms. Armenia having political influence and providing support with the crusaders and Europe worked to the advantage of the Mongols. Armenians, Georgians and Mongols even fought side by side. You should look up the battle of Wadi al-Khazan and fall of Aleppo. 40,000 Armenian and Georgian troops joined 60,000 Mongols on that battle. You don't think that is real enough?
    Wolf Hunter

Comment

Armenia became a vassal state to Mongols but they were in good terms.
      Armenia wanted out and even sent correspondence to the Mamluks. Got stuck being a loser several times over; paying tribute to everyone, doing what the Mongols ordered, and having armies romping over its countryside.

Mongols even fought side by side. You should look up the battle of Wadi al-Khazan and fall of Aleppo. 40,000 Armenian and Georgian troops joined 60,000 Mongols on that battle.
      I said what we would consider today, the Mongols ordered them to send troops and they did so but the Mongols did not stick out their necks for Armenia.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by troung; 18 Mar 10,, 05:34.
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
        Armenia wanted out and even sent correspondence to the Mamluks. Got stuck being a loser several times over; paying tribute to everyone, doing what the Mongols ordered, and having armies romping over its countryside.

I said what we would consider today, the Mongols ordered them to send troops and they did so but the Mongols did not stick out their necks for Armenia.
        The King of France was asking everybody to submit to Mongols including his son (which he did). The correspondence that you claim was send to Mongols to bail out was the Armenian King himself (Hethium I) paying homage. It would have been a pleasure for Armenians to help the Mongols fight against the Seljuk Turks and Mamluks. They knew what was coming. You disrespect the Armenian warriors who have defeated Turks many times in battle from ancient times to WWI and most recently Nagorno Karabakh while always out numbered and out gunned. Do you hear me bloat about how Turks were brave killing defenseless Armenian women and children while their men were fighting for the Ottomans side by side other Turks? Please read world history instead of that Turkish copy.

I have to give you credit though, not too many Turks will admit that Armenians existed on those lands before Turks conquered it.

Anyway, I don’t want to derail this thread. It is a good thread for the memories of the Mongol warrior spirit. This is my last post here.
        Wolf Hunter

Comment

The King of France was asking everybody to submit to Mongols including his son (which he did). The correspondence that you claim was send to Mongols to bail out was the Armenian King himself (Hethium I) paying homage. It would have been a pleasure for Armenians to help the Mongols fight against the Seljuk Turks and Mamluks. They knew what was coming. You disrespect the Armenian warriors who have defeated Turks many times in battle from ancient times to WWI and most recently Nagorno Karabakh while always out numbered and out gunned. Do you hear me bloat about how Turks were brave killing defenseless Armenian women and children while their men were fighting for the Ottomans side by side other Turks? Please read world history instead of that Turkish copy.
          - The Armenian forces did do poorly in fighting against the Mamluks. When on their own the Armenians received a ghetto stomping; see the Mari Campaign or any of the other Mamluk sieges and raids. The Armenians did a poor job. The Mamluks made their legacy by winning big name victories over the Crusaders and Mongols and fluffed up their record on the Armenians; a fact of life.

Funny side fact, the bulk of the initial Illkhanid Army was Turkic, a language which in time became the language of the elites/court...

-------------
          Your hard on for Turkey, a nation where I am actually not from, does not belong in this thread or really on this forum.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by troung; 18 Mar 10,, 21:27.
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
          X