EPA and the USS Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, those are great

How about any further views of the one at the Intrepid Museum?

I need to make a master for one of these in 1:96 scale
    Last edited by DreadnaughtHelper; 16 Mar 10,, 05:15.

Comment

Nuetered Fletcher !!!

So of the 5- five-inchers, the DDE's had only 2 left after the modifcations?

An alfa took the place of the No # 2 five incher, what took the place of the other 2 that are missing in the last picture?

Comment

If you can find disks of the old TV Series "NAVY LOG", its opening scenes show an Alpha firing.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post

An alfa took the place of the No # 2 five incher, what took the place of the other 2 that are missing in the last picture?
          Mount 53 (the one between the torpedo launcher and aft stack) was replaced with a new RADAR control room. You can see the antenna on top.

Comment

The 3"-50 MK-13 twin mounts and the MK56 Director replaced MT 53 & 54. Some Fletchers lost the #3 & 4 5" mount as weight compensation for the heavier 3"-50 twin and the MK-56 director when they were reactivated for the Korean War.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post

The last picture is of the USS McCain. She was a Mitscher class not Fletcher

Comment

Highline transfer (or breeches buoy) on the USS McCain. Somebody's in for a ride.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post
                  Thanks, those are great

How about any further views of the one at the Intrepid Museum?

I need to make a master for one of these in 1:96 scale
                  Couldn't find any more pics.:(

It was an obscure weapon system.

Did find this video showing one being used but I doubt it will help with what you need

Last edited by Gun Grape; 18 Mar 10,, 00:47.

Comment

Thank You for looking

Yes I know, I am getting more guys that want to build models of the 1950's ships and this is one of the parts that are needed. The Eaton in the scale that I work in is 47" long

Comment

Nautilus models use to make a Fletcher conversion set that included one in 1/350 scale.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kind of Tiny compared to a 1:96 scale

Comment

Originally posted by DreadnaughtHelper View Post
                          Kind of Tiny compared to a 1:96 scale
                          Will this help as a start? You can do like "Quincy" (Jack Klugman) and build up an entire body just from a thigh bone.
                          Attached Files

Comment

New areas of Battleship open to public

Select areas of ship, previously closed, open Tue.

Updated: Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
                            Published : Monday, 18 Oct 2010, 2:31 PM EDT

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Visitors to Nauticus in downtown Norfolk are now able to access areas of the Battleship Wisconsin previously sealed off. On Tuesday, the museum will open the Wardroom, the Captain's In-port Cabin and Stateroom, the Captain's Galley; the Flag Cabin; the Combat Engagement Center, and the Flag Bridge to the public.

"Opening up areas of the battleship for public visitation has been a long time coming, and great credit goes to our staff." said Hank Lynch, Nauticus' Executive Director. "We're excited to be able to finally allow access to select areas of the ship for our visitors coming from every state and abroad."

The Wardroom, also known as the officers' mess or dining area, will be part of the regular tour of the Battleship Wisconsin, which is included in the admission to Nauticus. It is located on the main deck of the ship. During combat operations, the Wardroom would have been equipped to serve as a battle station for medical personnel.

The other areas which open Tuesday will be part of a new "Topside Tour," available to visitors for an additional charge. Officials say discounts to the tour's $20 fee will be available for active duty military and Nauticus members.

Because the Topside Tour involves climbing up to four decks and entering small spaces, Nauticus officials say visitors see the new areas should be physically fit and wear comfortable walking shoes.

The opening of areas aboard the Battleship Wisconsin is part of a long-term strategic plan that will gradually allow access to more below-deck areas over the next three years.

In 2000, the Navy berthed the battleship in downtown Norfolk. Because she was still on the Naval Vessel Register, the staff at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum had to maintain the Wisconsin in a low level of readiness in case the Navy needed to reactivate the ship for service. Because of this, most areas of the ship were closed to the public.

The ship was removed from the Naval Vessel Register in 2006, and in Dec. 2009, the Navy donated the Wisconsin to the City of Norfolk.

New areas of Battleship Wisconsin open to public | WAVY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post
                              I am a volunteer firefighter in Texas and since Ben Franklin invented the job, both Paid and volunteer firemen (and women now days) have honed their skills by burning the occasional donated house or other building under controlled conditions. This has long been an invaluable training tool for firefighters. Last year a nearby volunteer fire department burned a donated home and soon after found themselves in hot water with the EPA because, according to the EPA, the house had not been prepared to be burned.

Along with a very large fine the EPA sent instructions on how a house should be preped. I won't get into details but suffice to the list was long, impractical, and very, very expensive.

At first glance this seems this like reasonable precautions but even setting aside the expense that unfunded volunteer departments cannot begin to afford, the EPA fails to consider three points. A: there's nothing in the houses that wasn't legal to build into it, B: Our equipment and tactics already account the possibility of hazardous materials because C: nobody preps the burning houses we go into that we didn't set on fire ourselves.

EPA is a good agency and does a badly needed job but there is a such thing as overkill.
                              I disagree. The EPA is staffed with a gang of idiots.

We have to deal with the same BS here where I live. We don't even try anymore to stage a practice burn with an old structure. It is too much trouble. So I guess they have decided that it is better for a rookie FF to die in his first real housefire when he panics, than to run the risk that one asbestos fiber might get in their lung and maybe give them cancer when they are 85.

And as you mentioned, I have yet to fight a struture fire that has been "prepped" beforehand. Everyone one of them has a whole bunch of nasties in there when we show up. With the things people keep in their houses, future possible health hazards from structural components are the least of my worries. We were dodging bullets from burning firearms last March. Certainly gave me pause to think before entering, hearing them pop off inside.

Comment

Great news abut BB64! I am going to get down there one of these years, problem is I work for the phone company and they never give me a day off... There are no phone holidays - at least not while I've been there.

I'm sorry to hear that firefighters have such a tough time practicing their trade, it sounds like a mess. Yikes, sounds like combat duty with live ammo popping off.
                                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 21 Oct 10,, 05:33.
                                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                                X