Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Military "Run Out Of Money"
    Dutch Military "Run Out Of Money"

(Source: Radio Netherlands; issued March 21, 2010)

Just two months into 2010, the Dutch Defence Ministry has exhausted its hardware budget. That's according to an internal e-mail quoted by daily newspaper De Telegraaf on Tuesday.

For the rest of the year the country's armed forces will only be able to afford materials that are absolutely essential.

The ministry's head of Military Equipment, Lex Hendrichs, is quoted as writing that the Dutch mission in Uruzgan will not be affected by any cuts. No new contracts will be signed, however, for new armoured vehicles or helicopters to replace outdated equipment. Purchases of munitions and clothing will be reduced "to no more than the absolute minimum".

The 2009 budget was overspent by 120 million euros and the deficit compensated for by using money from the 2010 budget, leading to its early depletion. The Defence Ministry, according to De Telegraaf, would no longer be able to pay the bills of its suppliers on time.

The upper echelons of the defence forces are negotiating to find a way out of the financial quandary.

Caretaker Deputy Defence Minister Jack de Vries, who is responsible for the defence forces' hardware purchases, has not commented on the newspaper report.

-ends-
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

They did well while they were there. I just hope it doesn't domino.

Comment

No support for expanded role in Afghanistan: Cosgrove

No support for expanded role in Afghanistan: Cosgrove - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Updated Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31am AEDT

Former Defence Force chief Peter Cosgrove says Australia should not expand its role in Afghanistan.

Giving the opening speech at a Liberal Party ideas forum in Canberra last night, General Cosgrove said he did not think there would be enough public support for sending more troops to Afghanistan.

His comments come as the Netherlands, Australia's main coalition partner in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province, prepare to pull their troops out later this year.

There have been calls for Australian troops to take up the Netherlands' leadership role in Uruzgan, but General Cosgrove says he does not believe that should happen.

"In my view the weight of policy value and political risk are against an expanded and thus extended Australian role and military presence in Afghanistan," he said.

General Cosgrove says taking on greater responsibility in the conflict is "marginally viable from a resources point of view" and would "create policy difficulties and certainly some political downside".

He says Australia has tested what was traditionally a strong sense of limitation on engaging in "wars of choice well beyond arm's reach" in recent years.

"In a policy sense, in terms of demonstrating our willingness to test the boundary of that part of our policy, Australia would hardly have done more over the last decade," he said.

"We jumped into the fray in Afghanistan in 2001, albeit in a measured way, and in the years since we've continued to provide meaningful support out of area in the broader Middle East.

"It might be said that we have very much lived up to our part."

General Cosgrove's comments come after retired Australian general Jim Molan last week accused Australia of not pulling its weight in the war-torn nation.

General Molan, who helped command coalition forces in Iraq, said the ADF should take over military leadership in Uruzgan when Dutch forces withdraw.

"Australia cannot win the war in Afghanistan by itself but I believe we have an obligation to play our role in the Obama strategy that our Government has fully supported," he said.

"At the moment I don't believe we are playing that role adequately.

"I believe we have the forces to do it. I believe we have a moral obligation to apply Australian standards, Australian competence and Australian humanity to the province of Uruzgan."

The Dutch are expected to withdraw in August, but Defence Minister John Faulkner has said Australia would not assume leadership in the province when they are gone.
        Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
        X