• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zraver View Post
    I believe its the rebuilt Sabalan.
    just to compare with the Alvand class
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

From an Industry capability standpoint it's very valuable. Building involves the development of core capabilities & design data from their own perspective that if maintained & developed are very valuable if you consider that in it's immediate vicinity (Iraq, Pakistan, Saudie, UAE) etc such skills are lacking somewhat.

There is no way Iran's tech base matches what is available to other navies, BUT, the ship needs to be appreciated for what it is even if it is a copy. The capability to develop said platform.
      Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        No, and I was talking in the Gulf or Indian Ocean region. Although show the flag ops don;t require friends and are perhaps most effective with enemies.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't going to roam far. My point about 'fly the flag' was more to show that it could actually get somewhere. I figured friendly ports would be a good place to undertake the repairs it would no doubt need. A US carrier arriving in HK is impressive. An Iranian destroyer limping into Portsmouth is just going to be the butt of jokes.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

If it weighs 1400/1500 tons why is it called a destroyer? Its a corvette at best.

Comment

For a "new" ship, she looks pretty old and remarkably devoid of offensive weaponry aside from small caliber deck guns. She'll be a nice addition to the waterfront skyline at Bandar Abbas, seeing how she'll probably get underway once every 8 months...

Personally I believe the true offensive stregnth of Iran's navy, if there is any, is in its three Kilo Class Subs and disorganized squadrons of missile boats and fast attack craft and not in their major surface combatants.
            You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              If it weighs 1400/1500 tons why is it called a destroyer? Its a corvette at best.
              The Japanese commissioned their 13,950-tonne Hyuga Helicopter carrier as "destroyer".... what gives?
              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                The Japanese commissioned their 13,950-tonne Hyuga Helicopter carrier as "destroyer".... what gives?
                Postering and politics. In Iran's case, the bigger the better, hence destroyer, not "puny undergunned corvette"

In Japan's case, it's to work around the country's laws and sensitivity concerning large-scale military items.

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                  Well, it Destroys things....so, that works right?
                  You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                    Personally I believe the true offensive stregnth of Iran's navy, if there is any, is in its three Kilo Class Subs and disorganized squadrons of missile boats and fast attack craft and not in their major surface combatants.
                    Agreed. An enemy conventional navy is just so many Navy Crosses waiting to happen.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The side of that thing looks like my first 10th grade auto shop experience with bondo.:))
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

That hovercraft missile boat is neat looking. Looks like it carries 2 YJ class missiles.

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                        That's a small destroyer even by WW2 standards. We used to call them sub chasers.
                        Last edited by gunnut; 25 Feb 10,, 21:45.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Should have named it the IRI Blasphemer!:P

And look the head blasphemer visited. How quaint.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

In the first photos the ships seems to have a bunch of flags attached. I can a Scotish,a Canadian(may be), English? flags.

Is it a tradition to attach such flags on new ships? Kind of strange to see such flags on Iranian ships.

Comment

Originally posted by n21 View Post
                              In the first photos the ships seems to have a bunch of flags attached. I can a Scotish,a Canadian(may be), English? flags.

Is it a tradition to attach such flags on new ships? Kind of strange to see such flags on Iranian ships.
                              Those are signal flags :)
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Mk 48 or Harpoon?

Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X