Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Finally tracked those "floats" down.

Scroll down to the photos on the left side and there will be a Sikorsky with Eisenhower and Kruschev standing beside it. The Helo has the same "floats".

Actually, according to another (now can't find again) web site it explained that the "floats" were added on to soften landings on ships at sea. If the helo is within an inch or so of touch down and the ship suddenly rolls or pitches upward the VIPs inside might get an instant case of sciatica.
    Impressive stuff Rusty, as usual. I've never seen those on any other Helo...maybe it was Eisenhower who demanded them...Ike was a landlubber after all
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

"Best sailors come from Kansas"

Halsey seemed to perfer the men from Kansas.

Something about growing up in a place where one had been trained on the Great Plains to look at long distances to see the next town . ;)
      " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

*Found the pictures I was looking for. Helo embarked during this time period for recon and intell gathering. They were attached to Squad HSL-33 "Sea Snakes" Detachment 9.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 Mar 10,, 05:55.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Gaillard Cut, Panama Canal transit April 1984.;)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 Mar 10,, 05:47.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

revised and expanded version

Thank you all for the insights and additional information. I have updated the paper to include the things I have learned here and in the additional references mentioned here. The subjects of flying off platforms, catapults, helicopters, and experimental aircraft designs have been expanded.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
            X