Karzai's Monkey Business With Afghan Electoral Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karzai's Monkey Business With Afghan Electoral Laws

I don't know what it is about this A-hole but we've got absolutely the wrong guy. I'm infuriated because he KNOWS we're committed to stabilizing the country. We need to BOOT his azz but we're too gutless to do so.

If this article doesn't just make you cry in your beer at the evil of it all, nothing will-

Afghanistan's Government Seeks More Controls Over Elections-WAPO Feb. 15, 2010

Some notables- a limit of two women per province elected (68) to a lower house of 249 member house. $100,000 upfront to run for election and refunded only if you secure 20% of the vote or more. No foreigners on the electoral commission. No kidding. Afghans are more than ready to get it right, don't you know.

This is unacceptable. Our executive, legislature, and diplomatic professionals will hope that J.Q. Public doesn't read this. Washington D.C. obviously will but they already know if WAPO does. The rest of us fools will go along in our ignorance-except here at WAB.

Let your representatives and Senators know this is bullsh!t.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

You know Sir,this reminds of talks with persons absolutely convinced that you're there to commit some mischief and you're ,of course,omnipotent(almost godlike).The line is that Afghan(or Iraqi)Gov. is a puppet that doesn't dare blink when US looks at them.I point stuff like this,that shows they are independent enough to harm your cause,either by incompetence or by serving their own agenda.The guys usually turn 180 dg-''then,the Americans are idiots;how can they allow this to happen''.Since I'm not American,I'm quite amused by the radical change in their eyes and face.Your nation tends to inspire quite extreme sentiments in people.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Mihais Reply

"The line is that Afghan(or Iraqi)Gov. is a puppet that doesn't dare blink when US looks at them."

Touche' Mihais.

Both blink rather too much. I never wished to raise forth any government prematurely so I assume no responsibility for this "feel-good" exercise in democratic political abortions.

It was 10 years before either W. Germany or Japan assumed sovereign responsibility over themselves. For good reason. Those reasons existed in equal measure in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Wasn't it yesterday that an Iraqi judge decided to ban 140+sunni electoral candidates on the grounds of "baathism"? They've agendas and there'll be civil war at this pace.

Both Karzai and Maliki are still miserable pieces of sh!t and there are means short of killing them to remind how tenuous their existence might be. It takes a real host-nation partner for our efforts to work. We need to bypass these guy at every turn and do so openly.

Unfortunately it may be waaay too late in Iraq and so too with Afghanistan.
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The problem with with countries like this, is that no matter how well intentioned they seem, the new leadership usually starts to become corrupted and eventually becomes not much different from what it replaced.
        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Ben Roethig Reply

"...the new leadership usually starts to become corrupted and eventually becomes not much different from what it replaced."

Ben,

Reminds me of that old WHO song-Won't Get Fooled Again. Last line?

"Meet the new boss...same as the old boss."

I agree. So do we.

Story I read recently about a port of entry to Afghanistan south of Kandahar called Spin Boldok. Seems that vehicles passing into Afghanistan from Pakistan (i.e. supply trucks) were getting hit for an unofficial tax by the Afghan Border Police there. Word was to shut it down. Big meeting.

Some lowlife Corps Of Engineers guy stood up and said,

"Well, if you shut those cops down, it's real likely we'll never get another truck through there."

Everybody sobered up. Seems a colonel of the Afghan Border Police was untouchable for the intelligence he provided and this was his ricebowl. I guess he's still doing his thing-worth millions by the way.

Compromise is another word for corruption in my view. BTW, I called both my senators yesterday to complain. I might hear or read something in six weeks. By then this proposed law will be passed.
          Last edited by S2; 16 Feb 10,, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            It was 10 years before either W. Germany or Japan assumed sovereign responsibility over themselves.
            The first elections in Germany took place in 1946. The Allies reserved their right to intervene in any possible internal uprisings until 1968. And Germany first assumed partial sovereign responsibility in 1949, and technically didn't gain full sovereignty until 1990.

Comment

kato Reply

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Mission Accomplished

Without a whimper of protest from the west, Karzai has stolen the electoral complaints commission inside the Afghan gov't-

Karzai Seizes Control Of Afghan ECC-London Times Feb.23, 2010

Comment

Karzai Goes Ballistic Against The West

He's admitted to electoral fraud-on the part of the U.N., Peter Galbraith, and the west. Yup. In a speech before the electoral commission following a day where Karzai faced another rebuttal from his parliament, Karzai pinned the tail on the western donkey.

The litany of quotable quotes beggars counting. Enjoy-

Afghan President Rebukes West, U.N.-NYT April 2, 2010

Karzai Rails Against Foreign Presence, Accuses West Of Engineering Voter Fraud-WAPO April 2, 2010

April Fools indeed. The guy might becoming certifiably insane.
                  Last edited by S2; 02 Apr 10,, 14:09.

Comment

S-2

He's admitted to electoral fraud-on the part of the U.N., Peter Galbraith, and the west. Yup. In a speech before the electoral commission following a day where Karzai faced another rebuttal from his parliament, Karzai pinned the tail on the western donkey.

The litany of quotable quotes beggars counting. Enjoy-

Afghan President Rebukes West, U.N.-NYT April 2, 2010

Karzai Rails Against Foreign Presence, Accuses West Of Engineering Voter Fraud-WAPO April 2, 2010

April Fools indeed. The guy might becoming certifiably insane.
                    Just caught a report of the latest Karzai nonsence on the TV, Jumped on WAB as I knew you would be all over this ;)

Regards

Arty
                    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

A.E. Reply

"Just caught a report of the latest Karzai nonsence on the TV, Jumped on WAB as I knew you would be all over this;)"

What's to say? He's a POS.

Comment

"Just caught a report of the latest Karzai nonsence on the TV, Jumped on WAB as I knew you would be all over this;)"

What's to say? He's a POS.
                        Yeah, my stomach churns everytime I see him or read about his latest dellusional statements. We are royally screwed in that AO, I just dont see a way out right now. What alternatives to Karzai are there? Does Afghanistan not still have the remnants of a royal family kicking around in exile somewhere?

Regards

Arty
                        "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

A.E. Reply

"We are royally screwed in that AO..."

No. We're not. We're royally screwed in the A.O.s surrounding the White House and Downing Street. We do our thing, withdraw in 2011 quicker than slower, wish them luck and let them know that we'll return if necessary for limited and highly kinetic durations that will likely include little in the way of ground troops and mucho in the way of airstrikes against his beloved citizens.

Then assure he and everybody else understands "necessary". The country can't be raised forth. Let's put that one to bed. They can muddle along quietly or periodically get their azzes kicked. I no longer give a sh!t if the taliban take over. They're all numbskulls of one order or another but I doubt even the taliban are fool enough to again embrace A.Q.

Karzai has had a free ride and his retirement is assured. Trust me. Were it me, I'd put a contract out just to assure he never sees that nice villa outside Geneva. Brothers too.

Comment

Afghan leader's anti-West comments draw fire
                            By ROBERT H. REID and RAHIM FAIEZ, Associated Press Writers Robert H. Reid And Rahim Faiez, Associated Press Writers 2 hrs 22 mins ago

KABUL – President Hamid Karzai's scathing attack on the West for its role in Afghanistan drew criticism Saturday from Afghan politicians after the White House described his remarks as genuinely troubling.

Despite Karzai's attempt at damage control, including a telephone conversation with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, his allegations laid bare the growing mistrust between the Afghan government and its international partners as the United States and NATO ramp up troop levels to try to turn back the Taliban.

Karzai's speech Thursday also heightened an ongoing political power struggle between Karzai and an increasingly independent-minded parliament, which has refused to confirm nearly half of his Cabinet nominees because they were allegedly incompetent, corrupt or too weak to resist pressure from powerful people.

During the speech, Karzai lashed out against the U.N. and the international community, accusing them of perpetrating a "vast fraud" in last year's presidential election as part of a conspiracy to deny him re-election or tarnish his victory.

He also said foreigners were looking for excuses not to help fund the September parliamentary elections because they "want a parliament that is weak and for me to be an ineffective president."

Karzai also suggested that parliament members who threw out a presidential decree strengthening his power over the election process were serving foreign interests.

That drew a sharp rebuke Saturday from Yunus Qanooni, speaker of the lower house of parliament and a former Karzai Cabinet minister who finished second in the 2004 presidential election.

"This is the house of the people and all the members have been elected," Qanooni told parliament. "It's not possible that we would be influenced by foreigners."

Other lawmakers also expressed outrage over Karzai's remarks, which they considered a clumsy attempt to appeal to Afghan national pride which has been strained by the presence of thousands of foreign troops.

"This was an irresponsible speech by President Karzai," lawmaker Sardar Mohammad Rahman Ogholi of the northern province of Faryab told The Associated Press. "Karzai is feeling isolated and without political allies. ... The fight against terrorism, corruption, and narcotics requires a strong government. Unfortunately, the Karzai government is far too weak to fight all these elements."

Another lawmaker, Daoud Sultanzai of Ghazni province, said he was afraid the speech permanently damaged Karzai's relations with Washington, even though the president did not specifically mention the United States in his remarks.

Sultanzai said Karzai's allegation that some lawmakers take orders from foreign embassies was "total rubbish."

"He takes more directives from the U.S. Embassy," Sultanzai said of Karzai. "U.S. troops are protecting him, not us."

Karzai attempted to clarify his remarks, which White House press secretary Robert Gibbs called "genuinely troubling," during a telephone call Saturday to Clinton. She told him they should focus on common aims for stabilizing Afghanistan, according to State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley.

"They pledged to continue working together in a spirit of partnership," Crowley said. "Suggestions that somehow the international community was responsible for any irregularities in the recent election is preposterous."

A U.N.-backed watchdog threw out nearly a third of Karzai's votes in the Aug. 20 ballot, forcing him into a runoff that was canceled after his remaining opponent dropped out saying he had no assurances that the second round would be any cleaner than the first.

The parliamentary elections had been set for next month but were pushed back until September, among other reasons to allow time to reform and restructure the government's election commission to prevent vote fraud.

Karzai delivered the speech to Afghan election workers, and it appeared the remarks were designed to set the stage for a shake-up in the Independent Election Commission rather than set a new foreign policy line. Karzai said he might have to replace two top commission officials because of international pressure.

Nevertheless, the tone of the speech reflected the strain in relations between Karzai and the Obama administration, which has been far more critical of his stewardship than former President George W. Bush — especially his failure to curb corruption and improve governance.

A strong Afghan partner is key to the Obama strategy of winning over the civilian population and turning Afghans against the Taliban.

Karzai had been strongly critical of international troops for placing civilians at risk during military operations. U.S. and NATO commanders have been minimizing the use of airstrikes and heavy weapons if they threaten civilians. The new tactics have reduced the percentage of civilian deaths attributed to NATO, according to the United Nations.

But they have also complicated some military operations. On Friday, Taliban fighters attacked German troops on a bridge-building and mine-clearing operation in Kunduz province, triggering a gunbattle that left three German soldiers dead. Local government chief Abdul Wahid Omar Khil said German and Afghan troops were unable to use heavy firepower because the militants were firing from civilian homes.

On Saturday, the Afghan Defense Ministry said German soldiers rushing to the scene of the battle killed six Afghan troops when they mistook them for insurgents. The German central command confirmed the account but put the Afghan death toll at five. The German commander in northern Afghanistan, Brig. Gen. Frank Leidenberger, called his Afghan counterpart to express "his profound dismay," the German military said.

German forces were sharply criticized last September when they ordered an airstrike on two tanker trucks that had been captured by the Taliban. Up to 142 people died, many of them civilians.

The attack led to the dismissal of the head of Germany's armed forces and the deputy defense minister. The defense minister at the time of the airstrike, Franz Josef Jung, also quit his new job as labor minister.

___

Associated Press writers Juergen Baetz in Berlin, and Christopher Bodeen and Slobodan Lekic in Kabul contributed to this report.
                            Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
                            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Troung, is there anyone we can do business with?

Comment

Working...
                              X