Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Berg's Battleship movie

Battleship (2012)

Maybe this should be in the pub, but it is sorta on topic. Who would go see it? (I would)
    Also, I realize there was a thread on movies here, but that was a while back and to be honest with you all, I'm afraid of Gun Grape and... (whispers) you know, them. Hope the link works, had to be shown how.

The Kingdom was stupid but fun, and the first half of Hancock was sort of decent. I'd probably see it, though I'd like to see a cast list before I commit.
    Last edited by US_MiltCom; 15 Feb 10,, 06:17.

Comment

Originally posted by RmK View Post
      Battleship (2012)

Maybe this should be in the pub, but it is sorta on topic. Who would go see it? (I would)
      Also, I realize there was a thread on movies here, but that was a while back and to be honest with you all, I'm afraid of Gun Grape and... (whispers) you know, them. Hope the link works, had to be shown how.
      In the words of Tennessee Ernie Ford, the link you gave is about as helpful as a milk bucket underneath a Bull.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

The director tells you a lot. Did you see The Kingdom sir? Lot's of explosions and gunfire, VERY little substance or realism. I'm guessing we can expect the same from this, just at sea with battleships instead of in the middle east with terrorists. And it's apparently based on the board game so, you know, THAT'S promising.....

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          In the words of Tennessee Ernie Ford, the link you gave is about as helpful as a milk bucket underneath a Bull.
          Thank you, I laughed with a mouthful of coffee. Sorry, that link is all I know about the movie, but I'd still rent it just to see.

Comment

Battleship link

:(
            " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

"Battleship is going to be a very big, high-concept action-adventure with a lot of humor and drama." The script is underway with the Hoeber brothers. I'm not familiar enough with them to know if that's a plus or a minus. I'm guessing the project will stand or fall with the script. Some writers are better than others with this sort of thing. For example, I have no doubt that someone like Cameron would do the necessary homework to pull off a battleship project. For others, the subject might be so distant that they might not know when they know what they're doing. They might write a creditable story about total nonsense.

Comment

If the movie is anything even like the movie for the IJN Yamato it will be a flop. One primary reason...along with the Yamato movie reality didnt play a large part in the movie. If you have seen this movie, the firing of the main battery alone with IJN sailors on deck is nowhere near true. Read the book and the tests they performed on animals while firing the main battery is a testament to this. The animals were turned into red rags and red spots on the deck, human beings are twice the scale and twice the weight.;)
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Feb 10,, 19:20.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I don't think the success of a movie will hinge on gun overpressures.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
                    I don't think the success of a movie will hinge on gun overpressures.
                    *Its only one out of many, look closer.;)

Comment

Minutiae. No one cares if the guns don't recoil realistically, if the flag signals are gibberish, or if a D-Day P-47 somehow appears over Okinawa. Was Patton a flop because the "Germans" had American postwar tanks? More to the point, was Otoko-tachi no Yamato a flop? On the contrary, it was a big success, in part because it was "a very big, high-concept action-adventure." If the Battleship team can put together a good script, and it does fit the high-concept description, then it will make money.

Comment

Maybe with those that enjoy "B" rated movies. Patton with George C Scott and others was better then both the movies that you listed. Why? because not only did they pay a bit more attention to detail (outside certain features) but the quality of the actors themselves were much better. IMO, If you are going to make a movie about such a subject, then perhaps maybe someone especially the director and special effects should do a few years research and figure out what points a viewer with any kind of knowledge about the subject would catch and what points that would be so brief they would miss. Atleast go the distance and make it a worth while picture instead of another one to add to the pile of sci-fi movies in the junk yard. Thats exactly what is killing Hollywood in the last decade and a half, poor picture quality and cast. If you want to please a particuar genry then put it on the sci-fi channel and leave it off the big screen, thats where the best critics are because a good majority of those crews and those familiar with them are still alive in retirement or discharged.

*If "Mako" or a few other well known traditional Japanese actors are not in it then per say how much quality could possibly be in the picture if not the cast. They could learn years of experience from actors of that generation and caliber and are more believable then Yamotos cast.;):))

*My point, Make it a quality picture if you are even going to use that word, if not then chances are it will be as sloopy of a picture quality wise and cast wise as what the press is when that see any haze grey ship and call it a "battleship" which happens every other week in the papers or internet headlines. Its pathetic.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Feb 10,, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
                          Minutiae. No one cares if the guns don't recoil realistically, if the flag signals are gibberish, or if a D-Day P-47 somehow appears over Okinawa. Was Patton a flop because the "Germans" had American postwar tanks? More to the point, was Otoko-tachi no Yamato a flop? On the contrary, it was a big success, in part because it was "a very big, high-concept action-adventure." If the Battleship team can put together a good script, and it does fit the high-concept description, then it will make money.
                          *One small factor that no doubt contributed to its success is the fact that nostaligia was reborn when it was announced that a Japanese business venture would seek to recover artifacts of the actual Yamoto for display, this and lord knows how many of the younger generation were raised with such cartoons as "Star Blazers" and "Space battleship Yamato"which featured a cartoon version of the Yamato. While those familiar with the ships (all sailors that have seen them in real life or studied them in naval history) wouldnt be that far impressed if the accuracy is not there and its not just the main battery etc, its much more then that.;)

*Maybe in the end, its just a difference of our generation, quality and expectations.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Feb 10,, 22:57.

Comment

"Battleship will unfold as a massive Naval adventure across the seas, in the skies and over land as our planet fights for survival against a superior force."

*Never mind, after reading this plot its save to say where this film is going to land in the end if not judged by the "sci-fi'ers".:))
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Feb 10,, 23:06.

Comment

I just found an excerpt from the draft script:

1st Liutenant Graem: Incoming, sector G5!

Captain James: Report!?

Graem: Hit!

Graem: More incoming fire, G6 and G7!

Damage Control Officer: Both hits, critical. We can't take much more, Sir!

Graem: Incoming...Hit, sector G8!

Captain: They sunk my battleship!

Comment

Working...
                              X