Peter Berg's Battleship movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZekeJones View Post
    Oh my GAWD!. Showing the Missouri being pushed sideways from the muzzle blasts of her guns?

He obviously knows absolutely NOTHING about Battleships and their guns. That always bugs me when directors, SFX crew and actors spew out some junk (later to become food source for "Myth Busters") about something they know absolutely nothing about.

Come to think of it, the people who did the repair and repainting of the Missouri last year apparently don't know much either.

I think that's one movie I'm going to put on my "Don't waste your time" list.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Even more distubing than the guns "blowing the ship sideways" was the premise that an alien invader, capable of sending five warships from light years away would be "technologically equivalent" to a force of five contemporary Earth warships.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

das boot better than U-571

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        *IMO, A good movie indeed. Probably one of the better movies about the days of sail and what is was like to be aboard in those times.

U-571 was pretty descent too. Not tooooooo far fetched and I was glad Bon Jovi was gone after the first few moments.:))
        U-571 may have appealed to some, but the night I saw "das boot" in a small small theater with no a/c on a summer night, I was sweating as much as the crew when they bucketed the water from one end of the boat to the other to pour the sea water into the working bildge pump. That was a much better boat flick. ;)
        " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

That's the challenge inherent in all Invasion Earth movies. If you want a happy ending, how do you defeat such technological superiority? The alien vulnerability to earth microbes in War of the Worlds seemed reasonable at the time, less so now, but in any case isn't very satisfying in terms of plot. Independence Day turned that into a computer virus which, while no more plausible, made for better plotting. Perhaps the dumbest solution was in Signs, in which the interplanetary marauders were powerless against a glass of water and a baseball bat. The best? Mars Attacks! There is no counter to the Slim Whitman defense.

Comment

Jutland could be a winner

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            There are so many great subjects that are now do-able as movies, the battle of North Cape, The 2nd battle of Savo Island, Surigao Straight, ... I'd love to see the Jutland movie, the greatest battleship battle of all time.

At least in Jutland the ship modelers would be in heaven. :):):)

Let's hope the SFX guys don't have those coal burners churning out 32 knots with radar / sonar and lasers zapping the Germans into outer space.

The BB Texas could probably make enough money to work on some of her infrastructure issues to get her back into shape.
            Last edited by connaye; 19 Feb 10,, 03:46.
            " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Oh my GAWD!. Showing the Missouri being pushed sideways from the muzzle blasts of her guns?

He obviously knows absolutely NOTHING about Battleships and their guns. That always bugs me when directors, SFX crew and actors spew out some junk (later to become food source for "Myth Busters") about something they know absolutely nothing about.

Come to think of it, the people who did the repair and repainting of the Missouri last year apparently don't know much either.

I think that's one movie I'm going to put on my "Don't waste your time" list.
              *Agree Rusty, perhaps they should seek experience, that way the reality is a bit clearer but then again Hollywood is the land of make believe. Obviously someone either completely failed in mathematics, physics or its meant as a Sci-Fi thriller for their fans and acceptable.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Feb 10,, 20:57.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Reality and movies are a tough mix.

I always love when I watch a submarine movie from War2 and the control room looks the size of my living room.

Comment

Working...
                X