No announcement yet.

Peter Berg's Battleship movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few days ago I read that Kevin Kostner is going to direct (and star in?) a war movie. The only hints is that it has to do with a small town sheriff and a German U-boat commander.

I posted a comment that the movie had already been made starring Brien Kieth and Alan Arkin titled "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming."
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Why? because not only did they pay a bit more attention to detail (outside certain features) but the quality of the actors themselves were much better.
      I'm not sure you saw the same Patton movie that I did. Are you saying the movie was authentic in its militaria? Audiences do not care. Only geeks like us care.

Thats exactly what is killing Hollywood in the last decade and a half, poor picture quality and cast.
      Hollywood is not dying. If you think the caliber of acting has sunk, then I think you must have missed a whole lot of films made pre-1960. If I were to point a finger at Hollywood's biggest problems, off the top of my head I'd cite two: the industry's cultural inbreeding which has left it to ignore markets outside its established mainstream, and a slavish preference for pre-sold franchises. This second factor actually applies to Battleship, but the good news in this case is that the franchise is virtually non-existent. There's basically nothing in the game that has to appear in the movie except of course the Battleship itself.

One small factor that no doubt contributed to its success is the fact that nostaligia was reborn when it was announced that a Japanese business venture would seek to recover artifacts of the actual Yamoto for display
      Small factor? That's high concept at its best.

If "Mako" or a few other well known traditional Japanese actors are not in it then per say how much quality could possibly be in the picture if not the cast.
      Well known by whom? What familiarity do you have with the current crop of young actors in Japan?

IMO, If you are going to make a movie about such a subject, then perhaps maybe someone especially the director and special effects should do a few years research
      Definitely. That's why I mentioned Cameron. He is not shy about immersing himself in research. Unfortunately, I think he's exceptional in that regard. With all due respect to the people in this Battleship project--none of whom I've met, so they might all be geniuses--I will not be optimistic. It may be that they'll surprise me, and that would be great. Until the pudding is proofed, I'll be expecting a stomach-turner.

Comment

I'm not sure you saw the same Patton movie that I did. Are you saying the movie was authentic in its militaria? Audiences do not care. Only geeks like us care.

*IMO Disagree, what about those that were actually there? Those they have related their stories to such as their children, grandchildren etc. These older folks know full well what a quality picture is. You have to remember, they are not into gore, they are more about telling how it unfolded and actaully happened coming from good talent and experience, they came from the same generations as those that thought Vampires were scary just by portraying their shadow on the wall while going up the stairs and music in the background not actaully seeing his face while doing it. Otherwise they probably wont care much for gore or far out sci-fi thrillers.

*Ask one question...What audience are you trying to reach? That will determine the effects.

Hollywood is not dying. If you think the caliber of acting has sunk, then I think you must have missed a whole lot of films made pre-1960. If I were to point a finger at Hollywood's biggest problems, off the top of my head I'd cite two: the industry's cultural inbreeding which has left it to ignore markets outside its established mainstream, and a slavish preference for pre-sold franchises. This second factor actually applies to Battleship, but the good news in this case is that the franchise is virtually non-existent. There's basically nothing in the game that has to appear in the movie except of course the Battleship itself.

*Ask the older generations if your not old enough. As you mention pre 1960's I'am well familiar with Hollywood and war/action movies and very few actors can pull it off and be believable in this day and age. They are more into politics, their talk shows, the money, law/marital problems etc. They couldnt hold a candle to the past generations, half of them couldn't compete with their own parents who had nothing and yet gave them everything.

Small factor? That's high concept at its best.

*Well, many didnt want to look at sketches anymore in that instance and some have been there and took pictures. Its still a wargrave IMO and should not be disturbed. As Ballard states "take only pictures leave only bubbles" and I'm in full agreement with that. The cartoon is just sci-fi cartoons and meant to expand the imagination in science fiction.

Well known by whom? What familiarity do you have with the current crop of young actors in Japan.

*Mostly from the older actors, you have many actors but few have that experience and aged looks. Thats not to take away from any of them.

A stomache turner? Then you should be able to tell within the first few moments of the picture what story line it will follow and how believable it will be. I guess we shall see.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrantVenture11 View Post
          I just found an excerpt from the draft script:

1st Liutenant Graem: Incoming, sector G5!

Captain James: Report!?

Graem: Hit!

Graem: More incoming fire, G6 and G7!

Damage Control Officer: Both hits, critical. We can't take much more, Sir!

Graem: Incoming...Hit, sector G8!

Captain: They sunk my battleship!
          This should be prefaced with "WARNING! PLOT SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!" Now I'll be the only one watching this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            A few days ago I read that Kevin Kostner is going to direct (and star in?) a war movie. The only hints is that it has to do with a small town sheriff and a German U-boat commander.

I posted a comment that the movie had already been made starring Brien Kieth and Alan Arkin titled "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming."
            Loved that movie RB;).
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Battleship movies.... question

Always need a Hollywood theme in any war movie.

Man answers call to war.

Man gets set back after hard learned lessons.

Man strives for success.

Man over comes difficulty & succeeds.

No matter how often the P-47 with D-Day invasion markings dives ( from left to right ) across the screen, with 5 minutes worth of .50 cal shell casings streaming out the bottom of the wings in one battle, there still needs to be some good acting and a reasonable amount of dialogue.

Which brings the question, "what was the last good naval battle movie made?"

'In Harm's Way" ???
              " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Master and Commander?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
                  Master and Commander?
                  *IMO, A good movie indeed. Probably one of the better movies about the days of sail and what is was like to be aboard in those times.

U-571 was pretty descent too. Not tooooooo far fetched and I was glad Bon Jovi was gone after the first few moments.:))

Comment

Boy, do I know a lot of Brits who were less than pleased with the U-boat story. I never saw it myself, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a German destroyer puttering around out in the Atlantic.
                    I understand that a movie about Jutland is in pre-production with Ben Kingsley attached. That'll be something to keep on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
                      Boy, do I know a lot of Brits who were less than pleased with the U-boat story. I never saw it myself, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a German destroyer puttering around out in the Atlantic.
                      I understand that a movie about Jutland is in pre-production with Ben Kingsley attached. That'll be something to keep on the radar.
                      *Agreed, not exactly the truth of the matter as far as the Brits are concerned and a little far fetched. It is worth a watch though. I would like to see the Jutland movie or atleast a trailer to see how focused the picture actually is when it is ready. Its about time somebody brought that great sea battle to life in a good picture and hopefully a new light.:)

Comment

There are so many great subjects that are now do-able as movies, the battle of North Cape, The 2nd battle of Savo Island, Surigao Straight, ... I'd love to see the Jutland movie, the greatest battleship battle of all time.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Why dont they simply make 'Sink The Bismarck' again using modern CGI techniques ? That story has every element in it for a superb war film and it has a storyline almost too far fetched to be true .... except it was, so the script would be a done deal and would appeal to more than a few of us battleship enthusiasts !

I guess though that the lack of American participation in this would limit its appeal stateside. Mind you the US have been writing us Brits out of WW2 in Hollywood now for decades so maybe that Catalina pilot really DID sink her with a fatal torpedo to the rudders (Swordfish ? .... what Swordfish !) and not just 'find' her again :lol:

It wont matter to the US public as long as America saves all our *sses and wins the war again.... all on her own (despite us) as always !
                          Last edited by Black Prince; 18 Feb 10,, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Prince View Post
                            Why dont they simply make 'Sink The Bismarck' again using modern CGI techniques ? That story has every element in it for a superb war film and it has a storyline almost too far fetched to be true .... except it was, so the script would be a done deal and would appeal to more than a few of us battleship enthusiasts !

I guess though that the lack of American participation in this would limit its appeal stateside. Mind you the US have been writing us Brits out of WW2 in Hollywood now for decades so maybe that Catalina pilot really DID sink her with a fatal torpedo to the rudders (Swordfish ? .... what Swordfish !) and not just 'find' her again :lol:

It wont matter to the US public as long as America saves all our *sses and wins the war again.... all on her own (despite us) as always !

*You would be surprised at how popular that movie was here in the states. Many recognized that the US (outside the borrowed Catalina pilots) had nothing to do with it whatsoever and still enjoyed the movie and contributed to its popularity. The US made many WWII films without the Brits such as the Enemy below, Operation Peticote etc and ones including the Brits such as Father Goose and a few others. Trust me they dont think for a moment Europe was won without the Brits.;)

Comment

Movie-makers generally want a "story" (which is a specific term implying certain conventions of structure) before they'll consider taking on any project. There aren't many battles that command audience attention without a story.
                              Personally, I'm pretty much ho-hum about CGI. It looks too fake.

Comment

Some more info on this

FIGHT THE SHIP: PETER BERG TALKS BATTLESHIP

Comment

Working...
                                X