Looking for an image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an image

20+ years ago, as a grade school student, I photocopied a picture out of a library book showing an Iowa-class battleship exchanging salutes with an anchored aircraft carrier. What is unique about the photograph is that the battleship and carrier are side-by-side (UNREP distance or nearer), allowing for a nice size comparison (this image caused me to realize just how big an aircraft carrier really is, as it dwarfs the Iowa-class). The photocopy is somewhat fuzzy so I am unable to identify the Iowa-class. The carrier appears to be Enterprise. Like a stupid kid, I cut away the caption, so I can't provide that information. I think it's New Jersey and I think the occasion is the 1985 Peace in the Pacific celebration in San Francisco Bay (based on this image).

I'd really like to find an online source for the image I have the photocopy of. Have any of you seen this image?

If you would post your scanned photo itself, some of us can help you out.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Not that this is what you're looking for, but I figured what the heck

Head on over to the Intro Forum and tell us about yourself! :)

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

TopHatter: Great photos.

The Carrier is definitely the USS Kittyhawk as you can tell by the hull number on her flight deck.

The Battleship is the USS New Jersey (BB-62) as she does not have the "wrap around" deckhouse for the SLQ-32 equipment room as the other three have.

That is if my replaced right lens in my eye is good enough to study the photos as small as they are. For if it does have the "wrap around" deckhouse, then she would be the USS Missouri (BB-63). Only the NJ and Mo do not have the old 20 mm gun tubs on the nose of their bows. The other two still have the twin tubs but no guns in them.

Comment

Yep Kitty Hawk and Missouri :)

I'll have to see if I can scan a nice shot of Ike and an Iowa-class out of Sumrall's book.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            I'll have to see if I can scan a nice shot of Ike and an Iowa-class out of Sumrall's book.

Comment

Been on both of those ships.:)):P No doubt in that photo they are just leaving port. If I had to venture a guess either Pearl or Norfolk. Note the airwing is on deck on Ike, elevators down and aircraft spinning around to line up before transfer to the hangars and still recieving planes and also note New Jersey's rifles Turret #1 & #2 are still elevated except for Turret #3 is down. Posture of peace for being in port.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Feb 10,, 20:08.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Sorry for the long absence, grad school is a harsh mistress.

I apologize for the poor quality of this image. As mentioned, all I have is a decades old photocopy of the photograph in question. Lacking a scanner, I was forced to use my camera phone to take this snap of it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jrb1537 View Post

I apologize for the poor quality of this image. As mentioned, all I have is a decades old photocopy of the photograph in question. Lacking a scanner, I was forced to use my camera phone to take this snap of it.
                  * A tough one to identify, they look very close in that photo, the shades hide the detail of the identifiable qualities. Can you put a date on the photo?

*Found a feature that can date it. Look at the BB, shes missing her stern crane, so the photo is 1983 at earliest since they were removed during refit and shes under her own power. New Jersey carried her crane through out her Vietnam cruise. Its post 1983 refit.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 May 10,, 02:21.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The photo isn't that old. Definitely the 1980's based on the mast design of the BB.

I'm not sure about the Carrier though it could be the Enterprise after her lengthy refit (and new Island) done in Bremerton just before NJ was sent to Long Beach.

The Battleship is probably the USS New Jersey judging by the shape of the ECM deckhouse up on 09 level. If it was 1968 the ECM house would have the AN/ULQ-6 framework extensions. If it was one of the other three, the ECM house (being a wrap-around) wouldn't show the tapered waveguide and wireway trunk going up to the SLQ-32 that clearly.

Comment

I would guess that the picture was taken August 14, 1985 :)

Both the USS Enterprise and USS New Jersey took part in the "Peace In The Pacific" celebration in the waters around San Francisco on that date.

Comment

I've managed to locate an image of Enterprise from the Peace in the Pacific event. It appears as if the two aircraft in this image are in the same orientation as the ones on the carrier in my photocopy, so it seems at least possible the carrier is, in fact, Enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                        X